Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Cvt failure at 223000kms / 138k miles (courier car, 2nd CVT failure in the fleet)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 840 Posts
    Where's the MIVEC?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 50.1 mpg (US) ... 21.3 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 60.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

It looks like just the intake cam is adjustable. I didn't look into how it worked. Does the solenoid on the side of the head change oil flow to the cam adjuster thing? There wasn't much to see in plain view.

Sorry for the upside down pics. Maybe a grownup can fix them?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-13-2018)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Pics rotated .. better view.

Name:  IMG_0383[MIVEC].jpg
Views: 80
Size:  88.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0384[MIVEC-2].jpg
Views: 83
Size:  84.2 KB

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-13-2018),Fummins (03-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is much simpler than what I expected. There's no 'swing cam' complication as shown in this video:

Now I wonder what's in that there little can...

Also it looks to me like the cams are pressed on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 50.1 mpg (US) ... 21.3 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 60.2 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It must work more like this:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm wondering if the cold Canadian winters are having an effect on the CVT's long term. There is this warning in the owners manual. Even though temps may not be -20C, they may be cold enough consistently enough to create some excessive wear due to lubrication issues.

Startability of continuously variable transmission(CVT) vehicles with an ambienttemperature of -4 F (-20 C) or lowerWhen the ambient temperature is -4 F (-20C) or lower, it may not be possible to startfrom a standstill even with the selector leverin the “D” (DRIVE) or “R” (REVERSE)position.This phenomenon occurs because the transaxlehas not warmed up sufficiently; it doesnot indicate a problem. If this occurs, placethe selector lever in the “P” (PARK) positionand let the engine idle for at least 10 minutes.The transaxle will warm up, and you will beable to start normally.Do not leave the vehicle during warm-upoperation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.6 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I'm wondering if the cold Canadian winters are having an effect on the CVT's long term. There is this warning in the owners manual. Even though temps may not be -20C, they may be cold enough consistently enough to create some excessive wear due to lubrication issues.

Startability of continuously variable transmission(CVT) vehicles with an ambienttemperature of -4 F (-20 C) or lowerWhen the ambient temperature is -4 F (-20C) or lower, it may not be possible to startfrom a standstill even with the selector leverin the D (DRIVE) or R (REVERSE)position.This phenomenon occurs because the transaxlehas not warmed up sufficiently; it doesnot indicate a problem. If this occurs, placethe selector lever in the P (PARK) positionand let the engine idle for at least 10 minutes.The transaxle will warm up, and you will beable to start normally.Do not leave the vehicle during warm-upoperation.
    It's hard to say. There are about 6 cars that were all purchased around the same time. Only the highest mileage ones are having issues. They're all started in the same cold. I've only seen one not move instantly once when it was close to -40C(-40F). I started it and had to tried to move it within seconds. It didn't want to move without throttle so I just let it warm up for a few mins before trying again and all was good. Nothing works properly in -40.