Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lancer questions (considering getting one instead of a Mirage)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Have a real stereo put in at an audio shop that will blow the RF one away pretty easy.
    +1

A lousy stereo is an easily corrected problem. The money used on the Rockford upgrade would be better spent at a competent car audio retailer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

DylanM (03-06-2018),Eggman (02-28-2018)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Have a real stereo put in at an audio shop that will blow the RF one away pretty easy.
    I'm not too keen on doing this. I had speakers and dynamat installed in my 500X and the resultant rattles created by the disassembly has pretty much nixed the idea of going aftermarket. The interior has never been the same and ruins some of the enjoyment of the car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carfreak09 View Post
    I'm not too keen on doing this. I had speakers and dynamat installed in my 500X and the resultant rattles created by the disassembly has pretty much nixed the idea of going aftermarket. The interior has never been the same and ruins some of the enjoyment of the car.
    Fair point. What about having the dealer do the installation? You might be able to negotiate a discount at the time of purchase.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carfreak09 View Post
    I quit doing the aftermarket stereo thing years ago. The busted glass, police reports, and insurance hassles pretty much cured me of it. Unless you are a serious audiophile an optional-from-the-factory stereo upgrade should pretty much satisfy you. And nobody is going to steal it.

IIRC, the Rockford sound system was standard equipment on the Lancer GT.

Factory sound systems today...even on cheap cars...are light-years ahead of where they were 20 years ago.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ true that if you're an audiophile you would look into aftermarket systems. But anyone should change Bose speakers. Dear god Bose is terrible. I wonder if they'll sue me for this post like they did to audiophile reviewers.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    ...Dear god Bose is terrible.
    "No highs...no lows...must be Bose."

My wife has a Bose system in her 370Z. She loves it. I have about $1500 in my Mirage audio and that Bose system isn't in the same league.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    "No highs...no lows...must be Bose."

My wife has a Bose system in her 370Z. She loves it. I have about $1500 in my Mirage audio and that Bose system isn't in the same league.
    The general consumer loves Bose because they are either uneducated or never tried anything better. This is why uneducated consumers pay more, like people who know nothing about cars then have to pay more to keep their car running.

You can get similar speakers to Bose for a much lower price or better speakers for the same price.

I love when people who say Bose are the best, but I let them use my AKG Q701s with a DAC/AMP and they get surprised how well it sounds.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My 2015 lancer SE AWC is great. My wife drives since the MPG is is 26 avg. Get one if you don't drive much.
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just seen this topic featured in the email from the forum.
    So I can chime in since I own both a 2014 Mirage and a 2008 Lancer (the 08 Lancer is the first year of its current and final design)

Now here's my answer on upgrading the base stereo in the Lancer.
    If your truly want the factory premium audio package..... Why not go to a junk yard and get all the parts you need from a junked Lancer.
    I'm not 100% sure on what exactly you would need.... I think the premium audio Lancers included more then just 4 speakers.
    Also all of the speakers would be better quality. Plus the sub woofer & its wiring....
    There would also be some kinda amp and wiring setup you would have to install... Unsure how hard that would be.
    Upgrading the base head unit in theory might be the most simple change over from junk yard parts...
    Don't know if the dealer offers a dealer installed upgrade..... likely would cost a small fortune....

Now you stated having a bad experience doing aftermarket work in the past....
    I have no clue what they did.....
    But I would recommend trying a different shop and checking for reviews online or word of mouth from friends....

I don't know what they did..... Maybe they broke some clips....
    I've done aftermarket installs my self since I was 16 and even back then with me learning I never did such a horrible job!
    (worse I did was finding out electrical tape doesn't hold forever)

You could also attempt to do a aftermarket install your self depending how comfortable you feel with that kinda stuff...
    I'm sure there are lots of YouTube videos and forums discussing how to do it.
    The interior of a 2017 Lancer is the same as an 08 Lancer after all.

Now onto fuel millage.
    I checked fueleconomy.gov to compare how the 08 Lancer stacks up to the 2017 Lancer.
    They got the same engine it seems.
    But looks like the 2017 Lancers get better MPG likely from improved CVT design...
    They have the 08 at 29mpg Hwy and the 2017 at 34mpg.
    My 08 Lancer in real word I was able to get 32mpg on about 90/95% highway and rural highways.
    I assume if I had a 2017 Lancer I likely could score better then the 34mpg... but idk.

Acceleration is plenty decent for me. far quicker then the Mirage.
    But it's no race car even tho it copies the design of the old Lancer Evo that basically was a race car haha.
    Sometimes the CVT makes poor choices but I find the same thing in my Mirage at time.
    Where it seems to set the gearing ratio in a "low gear" when I am trying to stump on it.
    Doesn't happen often but it has happened on both cars...

From what I've heard and experienced so far the Lancer is a very reliable car based on a now very old design that stood the test of time.

Ancient styling..... I suppose the fact this car went nearly a decade without a redesign could suggest that.
    but to me the Lancer is still a great looking car!
    Both the front and rear of the car looks angry like its glaring at you! lol
    It still stands as one of my favorite small car designs!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DylanM For This Useful Post:

Carfreak09 (03-06-2018),Cobrajet (03-06-2018)