Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada: 2014 Mirage - Bargain shoppers beware: You’ll pay in other ways (Globe&Mail)

Canada: 2014 Mirage - Bargain shoppers beware: You’ll pay in other ways (Globe&Mail)

After a string of positive Canadian initial reviews of the Mirage, the Globe and Mail's Michael Bettencourt reveals his dislike of entry level motoring.

His review really has nothing positive to say about the car. It can be summed up, more or less, as:

"Auto reviewer criticizes economy car for being economical..."

UPDATE Oct 21: the reviewer has re-written this piece for another media outlet, and he corrects/omits some of the mistakes and questionable statements he makes in this Globe and Mail review. See discussion below starting at post #9 for more info on the "updated" review.

Liked (sort of)...

- pricing (but with a caveat - see below)
    - fuel economy (but with a caveat - see below)

Disliked...

- pricing: adding options increases the total price to within range of more desirable cars
    - pricing: Canadians pay $1450 for freight/PDI, where Americans pay just $795
    - fuel economy: he theorizes the efficiency advantage of the small powerplant will disappear because owners will have to "thrash" the car to keep up with traffic
    - styling
    - interior space
    - drivetrain: "loud, unrefined ... underpowered ... glacial acceleration"
    - perceived quality (though Mitsu warned that these were "pre-production" models)
    - lack of styling features (e.g. big wheels) plus various other options that are available on other cars

Overall...

Mirage buyers are going to buy this car for its low price and lower fuel consumption. But wise shoppers will note that its underpowered nature may take more thrashing to keep up with traffic, thereby minimizing or potentially negating its main cost advantage.
    Read the full review: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle14769888/

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Mikhail (10-11-2013)

I think his questioning of the doubling of freight/PDI costs in Canada vs. the US is valid, for sure. That discrepancy doesn't seem right/fair.

Similarly, when he asks Mitsu reps how the production Mirages might differ from his "pre-production" test car which he felt was too loud/unrefined, he says nobody could explain what those differences were.

But I take issue on these points ...

He misses the mark when arguing that adding optional features (like AC and CVT) bring the car up to within spitting distance of other more desirable cars. Guess what happens to those other cars' prices when you add similar features/options? They also go up!

And lastly, his closing theory that the car's fuel economy advantage may disappear in "real world" driving doesn't hold water. Just look at the figures in our own fuel economy log, or read multiple other reviews from the Quebec City launch where most other reviewers were getting good numbers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Also, check out the comments on the review:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...9888/comments/

So far, just four posted, but 3/4 are in favour of the car. And no, I didn't post any of them.

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    qoute from : "its combined city and highway mileage coming in at 5.9 for the advanced CVT automatic"

only 5,9??? or is that what this guy got?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to spacester For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-10-2013)

Good catch!

The writer quoted the U.S. EPA combined rating for the CVT (converted to L/100 km), not the Canadian rating, which is 4.9 L/100 km.

Thread:
    2013/2014 Mirage mpg / fuel economy ratings by country (Space Star also)

Sloppy reporting.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What's the freight charge from other car manufacturers in Canada?

owners will have to "thrash" the car to keep up with traffic
    Yeah, right! Especially when that traffic is in city goes from one red light to another.

Yup. I wonder why he didn't report on his own fuel consumption during the press introduction driving. Most of the other reviewers did.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Probably, he hasn't driven one at all (my guess).
    I didn't see any conclusions in the article stating that the engine is weak, or how is the CVT, or lightness of the clutch pedal, etc.

And, I just began to think that the article was bought by someone else, who sees this new vehicle as a game changer in small car segment.

Writer revises earlier review

This is really interesting:

The Canadian writer of this negative Globe and Mail review apparently also has an arrangement with MSN Autos to post reviews there as well. It looks like he just massaged the existing Globe piece for MSN.

The interesting part is he apparently read the comments at globeandmail.com, because this MSN review quietly addresses criticisms and mistakes that were pointed out by readers of the Globe review.

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage First Drive - MSN Autos

In this revised review...

- He omits his speculation that real world fuel economy will be poor.
    - He includes the correct (Canadian) fuel economy figures.
    - He omits his silly criticism that the car doesn't have 16-18 inch wheels

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Mikhail (10-21-2013)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    qoute : It doesn’t have a start-stop system, but it does have an “idle-neutral” system that’s supposed to help reduce city fuel consumption.