Thread: TPMS sensors - Not under warranty if tires have been changed?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts

TPMS sensors - Not under warranty if tires have been changed?

If you don’t have your original wheels and tires on your car, the dealer may not honor the warranty on your TPMS sensors.

This is something I never thought about…and it shouldn’t impact most of us anyway. I took my car in to the dealer last week to check on my flashing TPMS light. Here’s how the conversation went…

Me : I think I have a dead TPMS sensor. My TPMS light just started flashing. Can you check it out?

Service Manager : Sure. Have you had new tires put on the car?

Me : Yes…about 2 years ago.

Service Manager : The warranty won’t cover the TPMS sensors if the original tires have been changed.

Me: Umm…OK. Just have the tech check them and call me.

Service Manager : No problem. The diagnostic fee is $105. I just need your signature here.

Me : Smiling…but in my mind I’m choking the life out of the Service Manager.

So the implication seems to be that if anyone (other than the dealer) has touched your OEM sensors, they are out of warranty. My guess is if you spent $500 on a set of replacement Enasaves from the dealer, they would probably still cover you.

OEM TPMS sensors should last beyond the 5 year/60,000 mile warranty. So for most people, this isn’t a big deal. But sooner or later, this is probably going to burn someone. I’ve had OEM sensors fail in under 5 years on other vehicles.

In my case, the sensor that failed was not an OEM sensor (that’s a whole other story! )

Good thing I had an extra OEM Mirage TPMS sensor that I bought on eBay last year. I just had the dealer install that one instead of the new one they offered for $100 + $50 installation + the $105 diagnostic fee
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 03-09-2018 at 04:51 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-12-2018),Eggman (03-09-2018),Fummins (03-09-2018)