Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Mirage based on 2011's Global Small concept car (photos)

10 years old!

A belated happy 10th birthday to the 6th generation Mirage. The 2011 "concept" was unveiled a decade ago last month.

And 10 years ago today, construction of the new factory to produce the new Mirage was already under way.

Thread: 6th gen Mirage production history/sales trivia! Mar. 20, 2012 launch

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (02-17-2022),Fummins (04-17-2021),inuvik (04-17-2021),Mark (04-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    And here's the concept compared to the production version:

I don't remember seeing the Mirage concept vehicle, but Mirages weren't really on my radar until the summer of 2017.

I like the looks of the concept Mirage. In my opinion, it looks better than the 2nd & now 3rd update to the Mirage.

How useful do you think those concept side mirror would have been?

They would have been quite aerodynamic for side mirrors!

I'm still pleasantly surprised the 3-cylinder/5-speed manual powertrain remains.

I don't remember seeing the concept back in 2011 either. I'm sure it got little to no coverage in North American automotive media.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    How useful do you think those concept side mirror would have been?

They would have been quite aerodynamic for side mirrors!
    Too small for regular mirrors, too big for camera mounts!

I'm still pleasantly surprised the 3-cylinder/5-speed manual powertrain remains.
    I'm not surprised - the Thai government lured Mitsubishi to produce the car in that country with tax incentives that are tied to a minimum fuel efficiency level for the vehicles produced under the program. If they put a thirstier engine in it, they lose the incentives.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I'm not surprised - the Thai government lured Mitsubishi to produce the car in that country with tax incentives that are tied to a minimum fuel efficiency level for the vehicles produced under the program. If they put a thirstier engine in it, they lose the incentives.
    I am surprised the Mirage is still standing in North America, where several other models have come & gone.

If the 4-5 Mirage trim levels offered each year were marketed between $10,000-15,000 & Mitsubishi had a respectable dealership network, the Mirage would be experiencing the same growth as the Spark. Small car options are quite limited, but Mitsubishi isn't even on some people's radar. I had considered getting a small car for quite some time (decade or longer), & I didn't even give Mitsubishi a thought. And I am someone who had a positive experience with a Plymouth Colt wagon (entirely Mitsubishi vehicle) in the past, too.

This vehicle will be built on an all-new platform with a focus on low weight and a small footprint. The heart of the five-door, five-passenger sedan is a new 1.0-liter three-cylinder engine that features fuel-saving technologies, including a brake energy-recovery system
    I know next to nothing about technical specifics of cars (it's a black box on wheels for me ), but I can't remember reading about a "brake energy-recovery system" in any Space Star brochure. Or is this so commonplace in cars, that it's not worth bragging about in marketing material?

Or do they mean they "Active Stability Control" (ASC) system, that the Dutch brochure mentions as a safety feature?

It's essentially a "smart" alternator. When the driver presses the brake, the powertrain computer tells the alternator to generate more electricity to charge the 12 volt battery. So the alternator "recovers" some of the kinetic energy of the car by adding extra load on the drivetrain while slowing.

It's nothing new. Other efficient cars have been doing the same thing since the early 90's (that I know of... possibly earlier than that).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

vintzend (02-03-2022)