Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2013 mirage turbo build (with videos)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    From personal experience running turbos on stock bottom end engines, doubling the whp with boost is quite doable assuming your tune is 100% perfect. After about 14-15psi, your biggest problem is pump gas octane and stock compression. No matter how much ignition advance you pull, you will still detonate.

'17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is so cool I'm glad you've done this. I always get tickled with trying to squeeze performance out of Kei cars.

Quote Originally Posted by moonchook87 View Post
    Put another updated video on youtube.

Got the car out here, its a daily driver, getting about 350-400km to a tank with premium 98 depending how I drive it. Still not dyno tuned but street tuned it does about a 7.6 sec 0-100km using a gps app (0-60mph), which is about a 15.75 sec 1/4 mile which puts it at about the same performance of the new turbo suzuki swift or roughly 110bhp.

future plans are mostly maintenance, brakes, shoes, shockies, lower springs and new rims and wider tyres.

before any further work can really be done i need to improve the intake and exhaust which both require the purchase of a welder so further updates wont be quick.

I'll likely get it on a dyno out here though to get baseline figures before I commit any extra money to fixing the exhaust and intake.
    It's been over a year, got any updates?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Normally, 14 psi = 1 atmosphere, gets you + 50% HP, not + 100%.
    If the guy runs a 75hp motor at 14psi, he'll do no more than 110HP. At 10PSI, he should have around 100HP.

For doubling the power, you'll need closer to 28 psi, which isn't recommended. 21 is as high as you can go on most engines with high octane gas.

Using a rotary tool kit, it's possible to grind off some of the cylinder heads, to allow a slightly lower compression (as well as polish the intake/exhaust ports to improve efficiency).
    Doing that way, most are able to run stock 87oct fuel, at 7psi boost. The ultimate of cheapness!

Without grinding, + 7 psi requires mid grade, +10psi requires hi octane.

He'll need to dyno tune it, to see how it's doing at the high rpm range. That's where these engines usually struggle (above 4.5 to 5k rpm), and in risk of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    Normally, 14 psi = 1 atmosphere, gets you + 50% HP, not + 100%.
    If the guy runs a 75hp motor at 14psi, he'll do no more than 110HP. At 10PSI, he should have around 100HP.

For doubling the power, you'll need closer to 28 psi, which isn't recommended. 21 is as high as you can go on most engines with high octane gas.

Using a rotary tool kit, it's possible to grind off some of the cylinder heads, to allow a slightly lower compression (as well as polish the intake/exhaust ports to improve efficiency).
    Doing that way, most are able to run stock 87oct fuel, at 7psi boost. The ultimate of cheapness!

Without grinding, + 7 psi requires mid grade, +10psi requires hi octane.

He'll need to dyno tune it, to see how it's doing at the high rpm range. That's where these engines usually struggle (above 4.5 to 5k rpm), and in risk of damage.
    Is it safe to say you are replying to a post that was made in December 2019?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    In my nearly 20 years of building turbo engines, not ever have i seen gains as low as 50% on 1 BAR of boost.
    Last edited by Pimp_Daddy_Patty; 02-02-2021 at 04:09 PM.
    '17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Great work you have done there.Congrats

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp_Daddy_Patty View Post
    In my nearly 20 years of building turbo engines, not ever have i seen gains as low as 50% on 1 BAR of boost.
    You beat me to it...

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I just got one of these and want to do exactly this to it plz get in contact no idea where to start

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp_Daddy_Patty View Post
    Only explanation is that you've never really dome what you say. You utube the topic, and that's usually what you get.
    You use a high boost turbo with a tremendous lag on a mirage, and you make the experience much worse, or worse yet, risk exploding the engine.

A mirage needs a small turbo, giving it mostly more torque than HP.