Let me start by introducing the mirage, its a 2013 build model that I bought new at the start of 2014, Its my first new car and has been a blast, It was a sports pack, so had the manual trans, 14" alloy wheels, bluetooth and audio controls, 4 speakers, rear spoiler and dealer added chrome front grille surround all for $12225 AUD. I added a tint, rear chrome accent, step chrome accents, factory mud flaps and factory wind deflectors.
I drove it like that for the next couple years, with it being an excellent daily driver it would regularly give 5.0L/100km economy. I've taken it on some longer trips over the years too with no complaints except for the seats really.
about midway through 2015 I started a mechanical apprenticeship and had by this time paid off most of the loan owing on the mirage so I started thinking about turbocharging the mirage, after seeing a thread on here from a fellow brisbane member, as a bit of a project to work on during my apprenticeship as a bit of application of the skills and knowledge gained during my training.
I started with buying a exhaust manifold gasket from mitsubishi and using it as a template to make a practice flange out of aluminium street sign, I then applied this alloy template to a section of 75mm x 6mm flat bar and created my flange. 30mm holes were cut for the ports with a holesaw and drill press and basic shape was cut with the grinder
1.25" ID steam pipe was used to create the manifold, the centre runner was notched by the boilermaker/fabricator at work and welded up. an O2 sensor bung was welded in for the stock linear AF ratio sensor and provisions were made to re use the original heat shield with some shaping and cutting.
I end up buying an ebay turbo, its a journal bearing oil fed tf035 for a 4m40t triton or canter truck as I could get the flanges for turbo to manifold and turbo exhaust easily from Aliexpress. the other reason for deciding on this turbo is the 9PSI wastegate pressure and that the turbo outlet and oil feed all point the right way without having to clock any of the housings. I also expect this turbo to be a good match for the mirage as it should spool quite quick being off a diesel truck.
some massaging of the surrounding heat shields was required but you can see the turbo sits nice and snug in there
the stock cat has to be removed to and turbo passed up the exhaust tunnel to even get it in to test fit, and this is a small turbo.
after getting this far I returned the car to stock as it is still my daily driver and I focused instead on figuring out gauges and getting together the rest of the items needed to complete the build, AN fittings, feed and return lines, sandwhich plate, oil cooler, intercooler and piping, wideband gauge I collected these bits slowly over the next couple of months.
I end up replacing my stock radio and radio bezel with a double din bezel and a single DIN ebay android radio with removable touch screen, this allowed me to use a single din 3 gauge mounting plate above the radio.
Fast forward till now and I have finally had time to get stuck back into getting it all together, I finished my manifold and draw filed the flange surface and made a temporary exhaust from a 2.5" mandrel 180 and a 2.5" flex joint.
Today i managed to get the intercooler, oil cooler, oil feed and return and associated pipe work all worked out and plumbed up, just waiting on a banjo bolt for the turbo feed and a few more silicone bends and shes ready to start!
more updates to come soon, I hope to have it running on a rough tune by the weekend, Its got an AEM FIC piggy back computer wired in and I have a bit of datalogged information from the stock engine so hopefully I can get it to run alright until I can sort out a better setup.