Thread: SE Wheels...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts

SE Wheels...

Guys,

I like the look of the SE model wheels. For one thing, they're original, and I don't know why but I prefer the look of original wheels. I'm not loving the ES hubcaps though.

2 questions:
    1. I'm assuming these wheels are Aluminum, and are lighter than the ES steel wheels and covers. IS THAT TRUE?
    2. Where could I get my hands on some? Has anyone taken these wheels off for other wheels and have some sitting around that they need rid of?

Name:  SE Wheels.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  37.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a set of these in the garage that I can try to weigh but they do have tires on them. Also have a set of the 14-15 ES alloys I can weigh without the tires. As for finding a set, www.car-part.com will be of use to find a set of them on a wrecked car in a yard somewhere if you can't find someone willing to let them go. I also really love the way these wheels look and when I was able to score a set with decent tires for $250 I jumped all over that.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Guys,

I like the look of the SE model wheels. For one thing, they're original, and I don't know why but I prefer the look of original wheels. I'm not loving the ES hubcaps though.

2 questions:
    [LIST=1][*]I'm assuming these wheels are Aluminum, and are lighter than the ES steel wheels and covers.
    I have used 2016 alloys on my 2014 Mirage right now. I got a great deal on the rims. I think they are a big improvement in the looks department coming from the hubcaps I had for years.

I feel bad for the previous owner, his Mirage got smashed the winter before last... and the rims happened to be left in the garage, just laying around. So I gotta deal and he doesn't drive a Mirage now.
    Name:  new mirage rims.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  56.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    I'm assuming these wheels are Aluminum, and are lighter than the ES steel wheels and covers. IS THAT TRUE?
    Past discussions here have concluded that the OE alloys are about the same weight as the steel rims.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Past discussions here have concluded that the OE alloys are about the same weight as the steel rims.
    Interesting, thanks for the info. I sort of suspected they were close because steel wheels can be made ugly with minimal material, and covered with plastic. Aluminum would have to be thicker ... and when it is made decorative there's even more material.

I'll probably see if I can't find those SE wheels for cheap that someone has taken off for whatever reason. Since they're not much difference in weight, it's not going to be a priority.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting, thanks for the info. I sort of suspected they were close because steel wheels can be made ugly with minimal material, and covered with plastic. Aluminum would have to be thicker ... and when it is made decorative there's even more material.

I'll probably see if I can't find those SE wheels for cheap that someone has taken off for whatever reason. Since they're not much difference in weight, it's not going to be a priority.
    Have you browsed these threads?

Fuel Efficient 15-Inch Wheels and Tires

Wheels: What Else Fits the Mirage? (With photos)

OE rims can be pricey and can limit tire choices. There's plenty of other choices out there (new and used) that can save a few bucks too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 18slcmirage View Post
    disregard this .......................................
    it doesn't erase.....
    You can edit a post & delete it entirely.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-30-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No need to delete, just edit your post to get your point across.

One of the first forums I was on did not allow edits, so it was important to get it right before clicking on that Reply button. Posters there really had to have their facts straight.

At least that’s what I grew up with.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Guys,

2 questions:
    1. I'm assuming these wheels are Aluminum, and are lighter than the ES steel wheels and covers. IS THAT TRUE?
    2. Where could I get my hands on some? Has anyone taken these wheels off for other wheels and have some sitting around that they need rid of?

Name:  SE Wheels.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  37.0 KB
    The site below has them, but @ $177.95/tire you would have to really like them. Price does include shipping, however. I would search salvage yards, but these 14" rims are only found on the SE trim level. LE & GT have 15" alloy wheels.

https://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/463/mi...eels_rims.html

Their $124.95 price for steel rims is nuts!

Speaking of steel rims - I happened to notice the G4 comes with 14" x 5" steel rims instead of 14" x 4.5" on the Mirage hatchback. The steel rims I got from Dirk were 14" x 5" this past summer. The site above confirms they are slightly difference widths, too.