Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy a Daox rear sway bar - the bars are done!

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Europe has strict rules regarding cars. I believe some countries force you to service your car through a dealer's service department.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Wow, that is crazy to me.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Wow, that is crazy to me.
    It makes sense. In Europe a car needs to have a 'street license' to be allowed to use the public roads. That street license is only granted when the car meets some security level.
    Normally the manufacturer request a license for each new model, which is thoroughly tested by the authorities (which involves crashing some copies against a wall), and the model gets a license when it meets all applicable laws.

When you do a mayor customisation to a car, it looses it's model street license, as it might no longer meet the law, and has to be re-approved. (Which does not involve crashing it to a wall). So if you do a serious customisation, and don't ask for a new license, you are punishable if you use public roads.

Don't know if foama is right about getting jailed. I think you're fined, and loose your car if you can't revert the modification. On the other hand, if you are involved in an accident, and your car didn't have a street license, the wrongdoing becomes a crime, I think.

I really have no idea if a Mirage containing your sway bar would easily get a street license.

It is also possible to get a street license for experimental cars. For instance, the Stella Vie, build by a team of Eindhoven University, which won the Solar Challenge in Australia, has a Dutch street license.

Name:  BvOF-2017_0620_RN-zonneauto-Stella-Vie-Solar-Team-Eindhoven.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  96.7 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This pink is actually really nice
    Name:  IMAG1150~2.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  97.8 KB

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (06-12-2018),Daox (06-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Haha, that is REALLY pink! Can't wait to see installed pics.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm having trouble with it being flush. Its hitting the bracket for the brake line.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just used 3 washers under two of the boltsName:  IMAG1168.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  81.4 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, the clips can be a pain. I found I was able to slide my bar up and over the clips, then insert the bolts. The bar does come very close to the torsion bar (main beam across the back), but it does clear.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think the problem is how close it gets to the bar when its lifted. But it worked out. The car feels a lot more planted now.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-15-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Yeah, the clips can be a pain. I found I was able to slide my bar up and over the clips, then insert the bolts. The bar does come very close to the torsion bar (main beam across the back), but it does clear.
    I wound up doing this, and then some. Due to interference with the coil spring, I found I couldn't set the right side forward bolt & nut. I decided I had to remove my springs to get the mounting bolt in place. Easy & straightforward.

When I saw that my install wouldn't go as smooth as I had hoped, I had to put everything back together and head off to my daughter's swim practice. A priority, I suppose.

Back from practice, back to work. I hoisted using my floor jack under the rear tie-down loop. I raised the car enough to disconnect the shock absorbers from the rear axle. The threads were pretty rusty and I had to use an extender bar for leverage. Once the shocks were loose from the axle I raised the rear to the full extension of my floor jack. Two things to point out here:
    1. Don't do this. My axle was suspended by the brake lines. I lowered the car to remove this tension.
    2. One of the springs fell out. This tells me that the shock absorbers are being used as the axle extension limiters. Folks running Beetle springs might find this both useful and comforting.
    3. Makes me appreciate a proper lift.

A close-up picture of the part number found on the left side spring.

While I had the springs out for this install, I switched them - left to right and right to left. Since I'm usually the sole occupant I figure the left side spring is getting compressed more than the right. Switching might even this out.

I put the bar on top of the shipping box while installing to keep it from getting scratched up dragging it around into position.

The following pictures detail some of my concerns of the installation:

I tried capturing detail of the points of interference for others to note and discuss.

Some observations.
    1. The bar certainly gives a new feel to the suspension. I wish I had measured rear height before and after as it seems to ride higher in the back with the bar installed. Go figure.
    2. The rear suspension tied together in this manner makes both springs tend to act more as one. It makes me wonder if this is similar to putting in stiffer springs, as from a Beetle.
    3. I now have a knock traveling over uneven surfaces. I believe this is due to one of the mounting bolts contacting a spring being compressed onto a bolt. Refer to the pictures for detail.
    4. Rotating the springs and careful placement of my mounting bolts allowed everything to fit in that little spring seat, but there's still interference. This might be solved by putting the bolt in from the top so it's threads hang down instead of upright, but I'm inclined to reduce the amount of stuff hanging down from my car if I can.

Overall, I like what this bar does for my Speck. This is a good thing for these cars. Thanks Tim.

I would like to suggest some changes:
    1. Can the bracket be re-shaped to avoid interference with the brake cable bracket? One more cut to make, but it would make installation easier and possibly avoid future problems with this bracket.
    2. Shorter mounting bolts would reduce the interference I'm having with my spring. However, the length as it is makes installation easier.

Looking forward to tomorrow's commute as I expect to get a better feel for this modification.

Again, thanks for your efforts here.

Last edited by Eggman; 06-15-2018 at 08:46 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-15-2018),Marklovski (06-15-2018),MetroMPG (06-15-2018),Top_Fuel (06-15-2018)