Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Truck

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    This is correct, but I wouldn't rule out a joint venture with Nissan to build in the U.S., since they recently merged. Or they could build something like the Subaru brat and call it a car, lol.
    The Chicken Tax is the whole reason foreign automakers first started setting up factories in the US. There are a million ways to get around that tax. Since US manufacturers started making vehicles overseas and bringing them here, they are actually being 'hoisted by their own petard' now.

Speaking of the BRAT, did you ever think it was weird that BRATs sold here had those little jump seats bolted into the bed? Those seats qualified it as a 'passenger vehicle' and not a light truck...no Chicken Tax!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The Chicken Tax is the whole reason foreign automakers first started setting up factories in the US. There are a million ways to get around that tax. Since US manufacturers started making vehicles overseas and bringing them here, they are actually being 'hoisted by their own petard' now.

Speaking of the BRAT, did you ever think it was weird that BRATs sold here had those little jump seats bolted into the bed? Those seats qualified it as a 'passenger vehicle' and not a light truck...no Chicken Tax!
    I did always wonder about those backwards facing seats! That explains it! Those were the days you could ride in the bed without getting pulled over...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Would Mitsu/Nissan bring another truck to market when the Nissan Frontier is already here?
    Maybe they'll just rebadge it.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My 1995 Tacoma was assembled in Fremont California in a joint venture between GM and Toyota
    called New United Motor Manufacturing, or NUMMI.

No chicken tax, but still a bit oversized compared to my old Toyota Pickup....but I still use it.

I'd consider a Mitsubishi P/U if it had a full body on frame, some "pickup trucks" like Hondas, don't.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

I wondered if Mitsubishi would bring back another re-badged Dakota but maybe the opposite may happen? Here's the Mitsubishi: Attachment 11597 The Dodge "RAM" (sold in the middle east): Attachment 11598 The Fiat: Attachment 11599 They all look like the same body, just different grilles and maybe headlights.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Not much practicality as a truck there.
    Box is far too small. Like a car with the trunk lid removed.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-02-2018),poorman1 (03-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Not much practicality as a truck there.
    Box is far too small. Like a car with the trunk lid removed.
    It might be rated to tow a little trailer though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That would be a plus. If the fuel economy is significantly better than what's available here now and it can tow 25 - 3500 lbs I would consider it.
    I'm looking for a truck to replace my aging Jeep Liberty but current offerings are seriously overpriced and do not live up to their advertised economy numbers in anyone's version of normal use.
    My best choice so far is one of these.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by IchabodCrane; 03-30-2018 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Additions
    Will weld for beer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    That little number look like loads of fun.

I'm digging those wheels, too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    That would be a plus. If the fuel economy is significantly better than what's available here now and it can tow 25 - 3500 lbs I would consider it.
    I'm looking for a truck to replace my aging Jeep Liberty but current offerings are seriously overpriced and do not live up to their advertised economy numbers in anyone's version of normal use.
    My best choice so far is one of these.
    looks like one of those Suzuki S carry. I’ve seen a couple here in Oregon on the highway. Landscaping nurseries here use them and a few have been licensed for the road. Top speed is like 50 mph maybe. I’ve seen the 4WD models with ATV rims and tires. That’s a hoot.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)