Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CVT transmission FLUSH attempt

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flotownj View Post

So I'm attempting to drain the transmission and replace the filters but it looks like the O-ring that came with the parts is too big.
    What did you find the correct size o-ring? Where did you get it?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    bump for updates

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What's the correct o-ring part for the filter?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by flotownj View Post
    WOW! That sucks.

I totally assumed that the car had a transmission oil cooler. With transmission fluid going through it and I was planning on tapping into the lines. Man I am so disappointed right now. Guess if that's true I will just be doing a drain fill and filter replacement.
    Are you sure the cooler is not running transmission through the lower section of the radiator. I have a Mazda 5 that has a similar cooler on the transmission and it pumps transmission fluid, not engine coolant, through the bottom section of the radiator. I found a video for the Mazda 5 where you remove the one hose that pumps the transmission fluid Into the radiator and then you add a hose to the cooler outlet and run it into a bucket to measure how much fluid you are pumping out. You alternate running the car for 15 seconds, turning it off, then adding more new transmission fluid through the dipstick opening. I completely replaced my transmission fluid on my Mazda that way. My bucket had quart markings on it, so I knew how much fluid I was pumping out to know how many quarts to put back in. Once I got slightly past the rated fluid capacity of the transmission, the fluid coming out of the cooler turned from a brownish color to the red color of new coolant, so I knew that I had replaced all of the old fluid with new at that point. The process was easy. Btw, the service manual for the Mirage refers to that cooler at the transmission as a “transmission fluid cooler“, NOT as a “transmission cooler” or a “transmission coolant cooler”. Can anyone re -confirm that it is actually engine coolant running through that cooler and not transmission fluid?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbur View Post
    Are you sure the cooler is not running transmission through the lower section of the radiator. I have a Mazda 5 that has a similar cooler on the transmission and it pumps transmission fluid, not engine coolant, through the bottom section of the radiator. I found a video for the Mazda 5 where you remove the one hose that pumps the transmission fluid Into the radiator and then you add a hose to the cooler outlet and run it into a bucket to measure how much fluid you are pumping out. You alternate running the car for 15 seconds, turning it off, then adding more new transmission fluid through the dipstick opening. I completely replaced my transmission fluid on my Mazda that way. My bucket had quart markings on it, so I knew how much fluid I was pumping out to know how many quarts to put back in. Once I got slightly past the rated fluid capacity of the transmission, the fluid coming out of the cooler turned from a brownish color to the red color of new coolant, so I knew that I had replaced all of the old fluid with new at that point. The process was easy. Btw, the service manual for the Mirage refers to that cooler at the transmission as a “transmission fluid cooler“, NOT as a “transmission cooler” or a “transmission coolant cooler”. Can anyone re -confirm that it is actually engine coolant running through that cooler and not transmission fluid?
    It is engine coolant, not transmission fluid. And welcome to the forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (08-28-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Anyone hear added an aftermarket cvt fluid cooler on their ride? I keep reading the one JATCO uses is inadequate? But that might just be for Nissan, not Mitsubishi programmed CVT7?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbur View Post
    I have a Mazda 5 that has a similar cooler on the transmission...
    ...it pumps transmission fluid, not engine coolant, through the bottom section of the radiator.
    ...you remove the one hose that pumps the transmission fluid Into the radiator
    ...add a hose to the cooler outlet and run it into a bucket
    ...alternate running the car for 15 seconds, turning it off, then adding more new transmission fluid through the dipstick opening.
    ...I completely replaced my transmission fluid on my Mazda that way.
    I get what you are saying. This is the way I normally do automatic transmission fluid changes.

But as has been stated...a Jatco CVT has a little heat exchanger/cooler mounted on it and engine coolant flows between the radiator and the cooler...not transmission fluid.

There are aftermarket Jatco CVT coolers with 2 sets of inlets/outlet ports. One set is for engine coolant...and the other set is for transmission fluid. If you installed one of these coolers on your CVT, you could use the transmission fluid lines to flush it like you are describing.

Here's a video describing the aftermarket cooler...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Anyone hear added an aftermarket cvt fluid cooler on their ride?
    Have you found something to monitor your CVT fluid temperature sensor yet?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Have you found something to monitor your CVT fluid temperature sensor yet?
    No because I dont trust dongles especially on the trouble prone 2014s like what I got. I read on here to stay away from them for the most part.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    No because I dont trust dongles especially on the trouble prone 2014s like what I got. I read on here to stay away from them for the most part.
    There are adapters that cause problems, and there are reputable adapters that work just fine. I have a good one, and there are many others if you look.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (08-28-2020)