Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CVT transmission FLUSH attempt

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I get what you are saying. This is the way I normally do automatic transmission fluid changes.

But as has been stated...a Jatco CVT has a little heat exchanger/cooler mounted on it and engine coolant flows between the radiator and the cooler...not transmission fluid.

There are aftermarket Jatco CVT coolers with 2 sets of inlets/outlet ports. One set is for engine coolant...and the other set is for transmission fluid. If you installed one of these coolers on your CVT, you could use the transmission fluid lines to flush it like you are describing.

Here's a video describing the aftermarket cooler...

Thanks for information. Yes, I see now that the cooler is actually a heat “exchanger”. And thanks for the information on the aftermarket exchanger option. I have not flushed my transmission fluid yet, still fairly low miles, but definitely want to find a way to replace 95% of the fluid without the fill-drain-fill-drain method through the dipstick tube and transmission pan drain plug.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerbur For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-28-2020)

You could always find a "heat exhanger" from a nissan that has 4 ports and run the 2 small lines to an external "cooler".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    There are adapters that cause problems, and there are reputable adapters that work just fine. I have a good one, and there are many others if you look.
    Thats good to know but I feel like if I get that cvt fluid upgraded cooler version it'll be the ultimate in preventative maintenance. Problem is the shops I called around didnt sound like they had much experience doing it or could give me an estimate that wasnt outrageous.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    ...I feel like if I get that cvt fluid upgraded cooler version it'll be the ultimate in preventative maintenance.
    If your CVT fluid isn't running hot, then adding additional cooling capacity serves no purpose (other than to drain your wallet).

I would rather spend a few bucks on a decent dongle setup (like Eggman has) to monitor the CVT fluid temp. Then you would know for sure if high CVT fluid temps are even an issue for Mirages. I'm kinda shocked that nobody with a CVT has done this yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If your CVT fluid isn't running hot, then adding additional cooling capacity serves no purpose (other than to drain your wallet).

I would rather spend a few bucks on a decent dongle setup (like Eggman has) to monitor the CVT fluid temp. Then you would know for sure if high CVT fluid temps are even an issue for Mirages. I'm kinda shocked that nobody with a CVT has done this yet.
    Yeah I've monitored temps they were within specs of what the service manual says while checking for proper fluid level. What that is I can't recall off hand. Covid rotted my brain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post: