Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: North American gas prices hitting multi-year highs. Will people buy more Mirages?

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Why would that thing hold gas? Unless you mean LPG...
    No It's got 2 fuel tanks, one for the built in gazoline 5500 watt generator and the other for little fuel station setup that's built in to fill up quads and other gas sucking toys.
    Carrying 8 leaky jerry cans(or dozens of walmart bags) like I usually do really sucks. So does running out of fuel with the nearest gas station 2hrs away. We often camp for a week at a time so load the hell out of our poor old holiday trailer we have now lol.

How do you guys measure propane? To get a bbq tank filled they go by the size of the tank at a lot of places, 20lb is the normal bbq tank, and next size up is a 30lb. The trailer has 2-30lb tanks so 54 liters or 15 gallons?

Oh, and I hate those stupid non venting gas cans too.

Last edited by Fummins; 05-13-2021 at 04:21 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

There's a youtube video of a very brilliant lady at a gas pump, pumping gas into what looks like Walmart plastic bags. At least it looks like she double bagged it. Then she tied them at the top and put them in her trunk. Genius! I'm too lazy to link it here.
    Yeah, I think I saw a video like that a while ago. I'm often skeptical of stuff like that, likely a prank or something. But sadly I do believe some people can really be that stupid.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    No It's got 2 fuel tanks, one for the built in gazoline 5500 watt generator and the other for little fuel station setup that's built in to fill up quads and other gas sucking toys.
    Wow, I've never heard that they have little gas stations. That is awesome. A diesel generator might be a skosh better, but probably the gas generator is less expensive. And therefore probably a better value than a diesel generator. I guess that a lot of RV's have diesel generators ... that have a diesel engine to propel the RV. Making refueling of both the RV and the generator 1 skosh more convenient.

Either way, sounds like a cool setup. I had a camper 100 years ago, but I couldn't store it at my house where I live now so I sold it. I miss having a camper. Maybe when I retire ... dunno. Might be moving on outta where I live now in the somewhat near future. Gonna move back out to the county (countryside), where a man can do what he wants, and pays less taxes to do so.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is the type of gas can I use. I'd never go back to those silly new style dumbass proof ones.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/VP-Racing-F...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    I have one like that too. Branded differently as I recall. It is a 4 gallon can. So, for my son's CR85R, I buy one thing of 2 stroke oil, I forget the size. But it is the exact amount needed for 4 gallons. So I pour the 2 stroke oil in and add 4 gallons and my mixture is Ed Zachery right. And the CR runs like a bat out of hell, smokes real nice, and sounds mean.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have one like that too. Branded differently as I recall. It is a 4 gallon can. So, for my son's CR85R, I buy one thing of 2 stroke oil, I forget the size. But it is the exact amount needed for 4 gallons. So I pour the 2 stroke oil in and add 4 gallons and my mixture is Ed Zachery right. And the CR runs like a bat out of hell, smokes real nice, and sounds mean.
    I used to race MX. Had lots of bikes including a CR. But that was a 250.

In other news: breaking into all the TV channels the CDC just dropped indoor masking for vaccinated people. President to speak within an hour.

No effect ... yet

So back to the question at hand... :P

I'm going to go out on a limb and say fuel prices aren't driving significant interest in the Mirage.

I'm basing this on forum traffic stats. Hits were actually DOWN last month, which surprised me. In fact it was the slowest month this year.

The last time forum traffic clearly spiked above normal levels was when Mitsu blew out the 2015 Mirage oversupply with the crazy big discounts.

Even if Mirage supply is reduced by the computer chip shortage, I'd expect people would be still be researching the car [which would show up in traffic here] if there was an uptick in interest about it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-03-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    So back to the question at hand... :P

I'm going to go out on a limb and say fuel prices aren't driving significant interest in the Mirage.

I'm basing this on forum traffic stats. Hits were actually DOWN last month, which surprised me. In fact it was the slowest month this year.

The last time forum traffic clearly spiked above normal levels was when Mitsu blew out the 2015 Mirage oversupply with the crazy big discounts.

Even if Mirage supply is reduced by the computer chip shortage, I'd expect people would be still be researching the car [which would show up in traffic here] if there was an uptick in interest about it.
    Chevy Spark prices seem to mirror Mirage prices. Both have gone up in selling price recently.

Personally, I would NOT buy a new Mirage at today's pricing. I would buy a used Honda Fit instead. A Mirage is not a car that I am willing to pay more than $10,000 for new or used. The increased in used prices even makes the Mirage less appealing to me.

For example -

White Bear is asking $8000 for a 2017 ES manual with almost 69,000 miles on it.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6263/overview/

At that price, I would rather buy a used Honda Fit.

2013 Honda Fit manual (117 hp) with 44,000 miles for under $9,000.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3811/overview/

2013 Honda Fit manual with 50,500 miles for under $8,600.

or a cheaper

2010 Honda Fit manual (also 117 hp) with 73,000 miles for $6,700.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7365/overview/

If a Mirage is not substantially cheaper than a Honda Fit, I lose interest in a Mirage quite fast. I really like the Mirage for what it is. It's affordable, reliable, & economical transportation. If you remove one of those three parts, the car becomes less appealing to me. When used Mirage prices are close to used Honda Fit prices, I no longer consider the Mirage affordable.

I can really like my Mirage & still be honest enough to say the Honda Fit is a superior vehicle that's worth a little extra money.

I realize that I am not comparing apples to apples here. It takes a slightly older Honda Fit to match the price of a newer Mirage. If the mileage is about the same, however, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the slightly older Fit.

Sidenote - I only look up manuals, & I was just using a couple cars out there as examples. I haven't really searched for the best deals, because I'm not really in the market for a car. I just know the current pricing wouldn't make the Mirage (new or used) that appealing to me. A $800 Honda Fit sounds like a much better deal to me!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I really like the Mirage for what it is. It's affordable, reliable, & economical transportation. If you remove one of those three parts, the car becomes less appealing to me.
    Hey Mark have you ever considered incorporating this phrase into your signature line?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I'm still getting to know my old Fit, but with price being equal, I think I'd probably pick the Mirage. I can take or leave the go-kart handling. And I prefer fuel economy over the extra power.

Well, look at that... we got off-topic again!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)