Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: North American gas prices hitting multi-year highs. Will people buy more Mirages?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    It's great to have a car where gas could be $5 a gallon and you could still afford it, or be pleased as peach with gas hitting record lows and even more savings! It's a win win.
    That's what I'm talking about.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I just fueled up with Premium fuel for the first time!
    At $2/Gal it was cheaper than regular fuel normally, and just because I've never done this before.
    It's still a waste though... But just because I could; heck, why not?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ProDigit For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-14-2020)

At most places around here premium has less ethanol which is a good thing in my opinion. Stupid ethanol. I don't imagine a huge power or economy increase though I may try it next fill up to feel special.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    I pulled in to a gas station the other day with my Mirage. I was just filling up my 1-gallon gas can for my mower. The lady at the pump next to me wanted to give me free gasoline. I looked at her like she was nuts and thought she had been cooped up too long.

It turns out she had a ton of Kroger fuel points to use...so she was pumping gas at a discount...for something like $0.40/gallon. She couldn't get any more in her own car and she didn't want it to go to waste. She said she would rather give it away to someone at that price. It was a really nice gesture...but I only needed 1 gallon. So she filled my gas can for free.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-15-2020),MetroMPG (05-12-2021),Pryme (05-12-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    At most places around here premium has less ethanol which is a good thing in my opinion. Stupid ethanol. I don't imagine a huge power or economy increase though I may try it next fill up to feel special.

I use non-ethanol gas for all my small engines, and it is still a quite a bit more expensive than E10 or E15. I need to get some next time I'm in town & compare.

I avoid using ethanol in my UTV, ATV, riding lawnmower, 2 push mowers, weed/brush trimmer, 3 chainsaws, log splitter, rototiller, & anything else I may have forgotten.

All our local gas stations carry non-ethanol gas, but it is quite a bit more expensive. Ethanol gas is especially bad for 2-stroke engines. Most places that serve rural communities or fishing areas (2-stroke boat motors) will sell non-ethanol gas, but it comes at an extra cost.

gas prices at a 7-year high in Canada/US

Average prices in the U.S. passed $3/gallon this week for the first time since 2014.

Canadian fuel prices are also at multi-year highs. I'm not sure about European countries [I did a quick search and couldn't find a definitive site], but I'll be surprised if they're not doing the same thing.

Name:  ch.gaschart.gif
Views: 413
Size:  24.4 KB

Crossing $3 in the US is significant psychologically. It's the type of event that's going to start generating a pile of news stories about fuel prices, fuel efficiency, and how to save money at the pump.

If there was ever a time for the Mirage to shine, this is it. [Will Mitsu start marketing the car again to take advantage of the situation?]

Although one major difference between this time and 2014 [the last time fuel was over $3] is the much greater availability of electric vehicles & PHEV's. They will probably steal most of the media limelight in discussions about vehicle running costs.

I'd bet prices are going to keep rising sharply for a few more months at least [even without the pipeline shutdown that's contributing to the problem right now in the US]. With the world coming out of pandemic-related travel restrictions, stir-crazy people are itching for road trips. Fuel demand fuel is going to go up sharply for the northern hemisphere's "summer driving season".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Average prices in the U.S. passed $3/gallon this week for the first time since 2014.

Canadian fuel prices are also at multi-year highs. I'm not sure about European countries [I did a quick search and couldn't find a definitive site], but I'll be surprised if they're not doing the same thing.

Name:  ch.gaschart.gif
Views: 413
Size:  24.4 KB

Crossing $3 in the US is significant psychologically. It's the type of event that's going to start generating a pile of news stories about fuel prices, fuel efficiency, and how to save money at the pump.

If there was ever a time for the Mirage to shine, this is it. [Will Mitsu start marketing the car again to take advantage of the situation?]

Although one major difference between this time and 2014 [the last time fuel was over $3] is the much greater availability of electric vehicles & PHEV's. They will probably steal most of the media limelight in discussions about vehicle running costs.

I'd bet prices are going to keep rising sharply for a few more months at least. With the world coming out of pandemic-related travel restrictions, stir-crazy people are itching for road trips. Fuel demand fuel is going to go up sharply for the northern hemisphere's "summer driving season".
    No politics.

Thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Yeah, it makes me think twice about getting a "fun car". Then again, outside of the USA, it's basically $7-$8 a gallon(extremely rough estimates).

But, I remember when the wife and I went to Iceland back in 2018, it was around $7.25 to $7.50 per gallon. Saw many Outlander PHEVs before they were a thing in the States. That was pretty neat!

To add, a local automotive reviewer test drove and reviewed the 2021 Mirage and gave it positive reviews. Most folks replying to his posts on social media were actually pretty positive too. Since, for the price of a used one, its a pretty good deal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Not sure if you're joking, Atomic Punk. There's nothing political in my post: no finger-pointing at any administration or any party of any country.

But a "no politics" reminder is always welcome.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 2of9 View Post

To add, a local automotive reviewer test drove and reviewed the 2021 Mirage and gave it positive reviews. Most folks replying to his posts on social media were actually pretty positive too. Since, for the price of a used one, its a pretty good deal.
    Got a link?? It's been a while since I saw a Mirage review.