Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: North American gas prices hitting multi-year highs. Will people buy more Mirages?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I bet Mirage sales will rebound after the chip shortage issue is sorted. It'd help too if they get the price back to preCOVID.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    People won't buy more Mirages (for the most part) until they care about their fuel expenses. Around here the "in' thing is to buy a brand new $70k F-350 with a PowerJoke, and immediately mod the exhaust so it is very loud. And then the owner feels obligated at every possible chance to floor it to make it as annoying as possible. It would be one thing if it actually sounded good. But the trumpet sound of the PowerJoke is nowhere nearly as appealing as the bellow of the Cummins.

The point being, no matter what car I'm driving, it appears that everyone floors it from a red traffic light, with no consideration of the fuel they're blowing out. And all day long I walk by cars idling in parking lots with the A/C compressor cycling, when it is 68° with a pleasant breeze. Further to that point, probably 95% of the Mirage sales around here were not purchased for efficiency of the vehicle, but for the CHEAPNESS. It's "all they can afford." They have no idea what kind of great vehicle they're stumbling into, it's the all they could afford mentality.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I'm still getting to know my old Fit, but with price being equal, I think I'd probably pick the Mirage. I can take or leave the go-kart handling. And I prefer fuel economy over the extra power.

Well, look at that... we got off-topic again!
    I don't think talking about the competition is off topic, because it could influence Mirage purchases. The weather is nice here in Wisconsin today is off topic!

I have zero remorse buying/owning a Mirage. I wouldn't feel good about paying a lot for one, but I feel that way about a lot of things.

The great fuel economy of the Mirage does trump some things for sure! Since my Mirage compliments another another vehicle for me, I find the Mirage very appealing. If I was a one vehicle owner, the Mirage may fall a little short. That's personal lifestyle, however.

Personally, I would rather own a Mirage (under my circumstances in life) than a Honda Fit even though I say otherwise at times. Knowing I purchased a new brand new Mirage for way less money than a Honda Fit (easily $6,000-7,000 OTD less) adds a little pleasure to the ownership of a Mirage. That's my point, but it may not come across that way?

If someone asks me, Mark why do you drive that little car? First thing I say is "they were under $10,000 brand new at the time." Secondly, "it get 40-50 mpg consistently". Some act like they don't believe that, but I don't really care. I don't worry about converting those who love their large gas guzzling vehicles!

Economy is important to most Mirage owners, & I am one of those, too! I have always like the KIA Soul. Even test drove one when my 2000 Honda CRV was totaled, & I was without any vehicle in 2013. The Soul failed on two important issues for me. Number one - It can't really tow what I would need it to tow. Number two - it doesn't offer the fuel economy of smaller cars like a Mirage.

Even though we didn't have it here, the Nissan Micra wouldn't fit the bill of affordable, reliable, & economical for me either. Its economy numbers would concern me. If my butt is riding in a small car, it better get 40+ mpg under most driving conditions. A Honda Fit may fall short of that, but I also feel it is a little bit more of a substantial car (vs Mirage, Spark, Micra, etc...).

Bottom line: High Mirage prices probably influence people to buy used. High used Mirage prices probably influence some to consider other options, too! I am just looking at it from my perspective, but I may not be the norm. The knowledge of low Mirage prices had the opposite impact on me. Once I realize how affordable a Mirage could be, my interest in anything else faded quite quickly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Wil B (06-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    People won't buy more Mirages (for the most part) until they care about their fuel expenses.
    Typically people react to relatively rapid increases in prices that cross certain thresholds. In the States, that'd be $3 a gallon [nat'l average], which happened recently.

... Further to that point, probably 95% of the Mirage sales around here were not purchased for efficiency of the vehicle
    Mitsu Canada has several times mentioned a market survey that showed fuel economy as the top concern among Mirage shoppers, along with....

According to Mitsubishi market research, Mirage buyers identify fuel economy, ‘value for money,’ and warranty coverage as key reasons for their purchase
    I've seen a definite uptick in mass media coverage of fuel prices and fuel economy related articles in the past month.

That's why I'm surprised it hasn't translated into more visitors on this forum. Traffic to EcoModder was up about 10% last month.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Typically people react to relatively rapid increases in prices that cross certain thresholds. In the States, that'd be $3 a gallon [nat'l average], which happened recently.

Mitsu Canada has several times mentioned a market survey that showed fuel economy as the top concern among Mirage shoppers, along with....

I've seen a definite uptick in mass media coverage of fuel prices and fuel economy related articles in the past month.

That's why I'm surprised it hasn't translated into more visitors on this forum. Traffic to EcoModder was up about 10% last month.
    Pricing? Mirage is your preferred vehicle of choice. You just bought a winter beater. Why? You couldn't overlook the price maybe?

If Mirage prices go up, I think people look at other options. One of those options is the decision to hold off buying a car right now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Metro - What you've quoted is true. My caveat that I think I included was ... "around here." Down in the dirty south, fuel is generally less expensive, as are (generally) most other life expenses. Leaving more disposable income. So, down here, people feel (I exaggerate for effect) obliged to floor it from traffic light to traffic light in their Hummer 2's, Expedition XLs, Suburbans and Escalades. With not a care in the world. It's roughly $2.899 to $2.999 a gallon down here at the moment. I don't know everything, but I hear or feel no complaints from the gas guzzling public ... around here.

I guess, it would have to be $5 a gallon before people (around here) would take fuel costs seriously and do anything about it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-04-2021)

Yeah, it could simply be pricing keeping sales in check, but I'd still expect some people who have become recently concerned about fuel economy to do some searching about the car before they're turned off by the lack of discounts right now. Yet there's no evidence of that in last month's logs.

--

I bought the Fit because it's fun trying out different cars is all. I definitely don't need another winter beater. My econobox fleet is at a record high... I should be culling, not adding!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    And all day long I walk by cars idling in parking lots with the A/C compressor cycling, when it is 68° with a pleasant breeze. Further to that point, probably 95% of the Mirage sales around here were not purchased for efficiency of the vehicle, but for the CHEAPNESS. It's "all they can afford." They have no idea what kind of great vehicle they're stumbling into, it's the all they could afford mentality.
    oh man, I witnessed this A LOT last month. Our May was pretty chill, mid 50s-mid 60s throughout the month and people still had their AC blasting in traffic. lol

I haven't talked to the Mitsu sales guy BUT I have gone to local car meets (once in a while, a local Mitsubishi car meet), and talking to people about the Mirage, they wouldn't mind considering the car for the price because it's CHEAP. It's going to be their 'beater'. An Evo X owner I was chatting with test drove a Mirage but he didn't really 'compute' how under powered it was to his Evo X. We joked about it but he was also serious about buying one because the Evo X just ate too much gas for his commute. And the dude loooves his Evo X too. Basically, the outcome of the chat was that the Mirage was cheap, fun, easy to work with. I told him it was very reliable as long as you cared for it but if you're beating it on a daily basis and not caring for it, its obvious any car won't last.

I do feel like most people that want/consider buying the Mirage, it is because of gas savings. Most of my friends are car people, they have high-powered cars, so they understand where/why the Mirage is made and what it's uses are. They all understand that it 100% beats an older Civic/Camry/Corolla/ since most of those cars are totally rusted out and the condition of them are in pretty bad shape compared to a $4000-$6000 2015+ Mirage.

Also, it's interesting to see the fuel economy logs to see how fuel prices have rollercoastered lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 2of9 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-04-2021)

I don't think a lot of people realize how much money could be saved by driving one of these things. Not just on fuel alone but repair and maintenance over 10-15 years.

Mirage=3 liters of oil, 3 spark plugs, 14" tires and pretty reliable, will not nickle and dime you to death with broken door handles, wiper transmissions, heater resistors etc... that are often common failure points of many other run of the mill turd pails.u

What do most suv's and pickup trucks take now, 6 liters of oil, 6-16 spark plugs, 17-22" tires.

I never really sat down an looked at how much money I've blown on fuel and parts let alone the time I spend keeping random vehicles on the road. My dodge needs $1000 or so a year worth of work to keep running and I only use it to pull a trailer 6 times a year. Right now it needs a rear transmission seal(again after replacing it 5 years ago) before I can use it, and probably needs an oil change so there's 12 qts of oil... Every repair I do now I compare to what I paid for my current Mirage. Last year I spent one Mirage on tires for my truck. I'll probably spend a few Mirages on diesel this summer. I spend almost 1 Mirage on a trailer hitch for the truck and stabilizer setup for our new trailer. I'll probably blow a Mirage on beer this summer, and another one or two on diesel lol.

One of the biggest reasons I'd guess why people want suvs and trucks is just so they can see whats in front of them better and "feel safer". But if you're surrounded by other trucks and suv's there isn't really much to see anyways. Another one I hear all the time and kinda felt the same way for a while was "I need awd". We have snow plows, there's no need for awd or 4wd in a 2000lb car "around here" imo. Most of my vehicles were rwd and I didn't die. A front wheel drive is leaps and bounds better than a rwd in the snow, except maybe a rear/mid engine something but who want's to drive a fiero?

Driving a turd Mirage really forces you to change how you drive, at least for the cvt version lol. Well that and trying to limp along a questionable cvt for as long as possible is a factor too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

2of9 (06-04-2021),Dirk Diggler (06-04-2021),Eggman (06-04-2021),inuvik (06-04-2021),MetroMPG (06-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't think a lot of people realize how much money could be saved by driving one of these things. Not just on fuel alone but repair and maintenance over 10-15 years.
    100%. I totally agree. I'm trying to persuade an in-law from buying a brand new 2021 Toyota Camry. I'm telling him that it will depreciate immediately once it's off the lot. He thinks the the value will rise immediately. I asked him where he's getting his info and he just jumps on the 'It's a Toyota' bandwagon. He wants everything on it. I told him about the electronics, tires, warranty, etc. I think he's adamant on it. It's odd that some folks think of the short term vs the long term, especially for someone that doesn't really want to focus on maintaining the car. The car itself, will be $33k+ with the options he wanted. I think he went to the dealership and got "sold" on it. But I think now, he is doing much more research on it now that he's been asking me about buying cars. At the end of the day, you can only help so much and give enough advise to someone to kind of guide them. But, if they want it, they're going to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    One of the biggest reasons I'd guess why people want suvs and trucks is just so they can see whats in front of them better and "feel safer". But if you're surrounded by other trucks and suv's there isn't really much to see anyways. Another one I hear all the time and kinda felt the same way for a while was "I need awd". We have snow plows, there's no need for awd or 4wd in a 2000lb car "around here" imo. Most of my vehicles were rwd and I didn't die. A front wheel drive is leaps and bounds better than a rwd in the snow, except maybe a rear/mid engine something but who want's to drive a fiero?
    Oh man, I totally know what you're talking about. Most non-car people I talk to says this A LOT; "i feel safer, i can see whats around me, etc" Well, sure you "feel" safer but also, if someone crashes INTO you, you're not going to be "safe" i guess? Most cars, I'd say 2012+ cars/cuvs/trucks are built much more safe and better (to handle crashes) than their predecessor from 10-15 years ago.

As for snow, we didn't get a wild snow storm this year but we only used AWD (in our Outlander Sport) when we really needed it. Good tires (and snow tires) really go a long ways in the winter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2of9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-04-2021),Fummins (06-04-2021)