Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bent my Steel Wheel and Lost a Hubcap

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I would surely start with what Eggman suggested. If you strike out there, I bought a pair of steel rims from "onlywheels.com". They were $50/rim with free shipping when I bought them. I checked, & they still carry them. Selecting the right steel rim for a Mirage wasn't working for me on their website tonight. I would consider calling them if that is the case.

I say this, because these 14" steel rims come in 2 different widths, 4 different bolt patterns, 3 different offsets, & 5 different hub bore openings. Thus, you want to make sure you order the correct steel rim. I bought the 5.5" wide steel rims. 165-185 width tires will mount perfectly on them. There are no brake clearance issues (2017+ Mirages have larger front brakes), & the factory hub caps fit in them just fine. Those were my two concerns when I order them.

Even though these steel rims came from Canada, I got them within a few days. I share all this, because I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a used rim when you can get a new one for that price.
    P.S. - I would take it off & wail on it with a small sledge hammer first & see what happens? If I had some doubts afterwards, I would take it over to any tire shop. I would ask them to rebalance it and check it out. Then use it or replace it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-05-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Lift that corner of the car and give the wheel a spin by hand and see what you think. Heck, post of video if you like.

We can't see if it bent the whole wheel from here, but I'd say it's roached. And I would expect a tire shop would say the same, if only for liability reasons.
    Whats roached? When I spin it what should I look for? Wonkeyness?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Whats roached? When I spin it what should I look for? Wonkeyness?
    Hee hee - Wonkeyness. Words are funny.

If the damage is restricted to the lip, you'll see that the rest of the rim spins straight and true.

Here's a fun experiment for you. Hold an item near the rim as you spin it around and see how the rim holds it's position as you spin it. You'll quickly see how bad the deformation is. It takes a steady hand, though I think you'll figure something out. You're pretty resourceful.

Or you could just start planning on your replacement. That dent will be a thorn in your paw and bug you until it's taken care of.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hee hee - Wonkeyness. Words are funny.

If the damage is restricted to the lip, you'll see that the rest of the rim spins straight and true.

Here's a fun experiment for you. Hold an item near the rim as you spin it around and see how the rim holds it's position as you spin it. You'll quickly see how bad the deformation is. It takes a steady hand, though I think you'll figure something out. You're pretty resourceful.

Or you could just start planning on your replacement. That dent will be a thorn in your paw and bug you until it's taken care of.
    I lifted it up spin the wheel it seemed fine I guess? Checked the tire pressure, its holding 35 psi precisely like I aired it to this morning. I have no idea how long this wheel has been like this. They could of sold us this used G4 with this bent wheel at the Mitsu dealership. Ill take it in see what they say. Thank you everyone.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I lifted it up spin the wheel it seemed fine I guess? Checked the tire pressure, its holding 35 psi precisely like I aired it to this morning. I have no idea how long this wheel has been like this. They could of sold us this used G4 with this bent wheel at the Mitsu dealership. Ill take it in see what they say. Thank you everyone.
    If you just lost the hub cap recently, I assumed you bent the wheel recently. It's good to know your option either way. It could be worst. Hope things work out for you!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Criminy, thank goodness it's not your CVT. Wouldn't it be funny if your CVT outlasts the rest of your car? Haha

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you just lost the hub cap recently, I assumed you bent the wheel recently. It's good to know your option either way. It could be worst. Hope things work out for you!
    You think this would work Mark? 2017 G4 ES steel wheel
    https://m.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelC...7&autoModClar=

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    If I purchase a new steel wheel will I also have to buy a new tpms sensor?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You think this would work Mark? 2017 G4 ES steel wheel
    https://m.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelC...7&autoModClar=
    If tirerack.com says it will work, it should? The center hub opening has to be correct, but they should know that.

Personally, I would buy the onlywheels.com one for $50.

Factory steel wheels are only 4.5" wide. The rim you listed is 6" wide. 6" wide rims are recommended for tire widths of 175-205. Factory tires are 165 wide. A 6" wide rim will probably work, but it is not the best match for a Mirage size tire.

The 5.5" wide rims that I bought are recommended for 165-195 tire widths. I would pick a 5" or 5.5" wide rim over a 6" if I had the choice.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If I purchase a new steel wheel will I also have to buy a new tpms sensor?
    No! Your tpms sensor should be perfectly fine! Any tire shop can transfer it to the new rim. If your sensors are all working now, nothing should be different when you transfer the sensor into the new rim.

I drove a miie or two on a blown out tire last summer. I needed to get somewhere. I already knew the tire was toast (beyond repair). I expected a damaged rim, but I didn't really care at the time. I also expected the tpms sensor to be destroyed. Neither were damaged! The sensor lies very flat in the bottom of the rim. I was amazed it was still good. That was a year ago, both the rim and sensor have been fine.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post: