Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Bent my Steel Wheel and Lost a Hubcap

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    T...I'm less concerned about mpg on the G4 and more concerned about handling, power, ruining the suspension with the setup.
    I doubt you're going to notice any major changes in handling just by changing wheels...even if these new ones weigh a few pounds more. If these were going on Loren's car in an autocross session, he would probably notice a difference!

You might take a slight hit on fuel mileage from the additional weight (maybe less than 1 mpg?). You won't be doing any damage to your suspension. If you like these wheels, go for it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Top Fuel, Mark, here's a link to the $66 alloy wheels. They weigh 16lbs plus we plan on putting 175 65 r14 Barums on the G4, which weigh 14lbs. That's 30lbs per tire/wheel combo. It's 27lbs for what she has on right now, 14 x 4.5 steel wheel and 165s. That's an added 12lb difference. I'm less concerned about mpg on the G4 and more concerned about handling, power, ruining the suspension with the setup. What are your opinions?
    I only have steel wheels with 165/65-14 tires. I can't speak from experience about anything else. I wouldn't be concerned about what you have shared, however. If you like the rims and tires, I would go for it. Especially if you will be needing new tires and have a damaged steel rim. Just transfer the sensors to the new wheels, & you should be good.

If I lived near you, I would buy a pair your steel rims to offset some of your costs.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-14-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Thank you Top Fuel, thank you Mark. Between you two and Fummins, I've learned more about maintenance, tires, cars in general, in the last year thanks to y'alls thoughtful responses. I swear there is no support network of qualified minds like the Mirage forum. If Mitsubishi was smart they would endorse and promote this site thanks to the efforts of fellas like you! God bless and Happy Valentine's Day!