Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Bent my Steel Wheel and Lost a Hubcap

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    What comes standard on the Mirage though?
    14 x 4.5

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Gentlemen, as always, you kick ass. It's either that or take the upsale the tire guy suggested. Which was new alloys at $66 each. I did get a free tire rotation and tire check out of it and for now, considering I was told the tire on the bent wheel is perfectly secured, I'll wait to make a purchase for a few months.
    $66 for alloy wheels that you like isn't a bad price at all.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    $66 for alloy wheels that you like isn't a bad price at all.
    Mark those new alloys are 14 x 5.5, you said the 175 65 r14 would fit fine on there? You think it would effect the mpg badly?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    ...new alloys are 14 x 5.5
    ...You think it would effect the mpg badly?
    So the shop is offering you aftermarket alloy wheels as a solution? That's not a bad thing...but what brand and model of wheel are they?

The factory 14x4.5 wheels weigh around 13 pounds. If you are buying aftermarket alloy wheels, just make sure they don't weigh 20 pounds each or something crazy (alloy doesn't necessarily mean light weight). Heavy wheels will impact your fuel mileage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-09-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    So the shop is offering you aftermarket alloy wheels as a solution? That's not a bad thing...but what brand and model of wheel are they?

The factory 14x4.5 wheels weigh around 13 pounds. If you are buying aftermarket alloy wheels, just make sure they don't weigh 20 pounds each or something crazy (alloy doesn't necessarily mean light weight). Heavy wheels will impact your fuel mileage.
    Thank you Top Fuel! Any 14 x 4.5 alloys you would recommend? Reasonably priced?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark those new alloys are 14 x 5.5, you said the 175 65 r14 would fit fine on there? You think it would effect the mpg badly?
    I am not going to pretend to be an expert on alloy rims, but size-wise 14" x 5.5" are a perfect size for a Mirage in my opinion. If you share what brand/type of rim they are, others may be able to comment on the weight of them.

A 5.5" wide rim is made for tires widths of 165, 175, 185, & 195. 175-185 tires are considered perfect for 5.5" wide rim. If you really like your 175/65-14 Barum tires, those rims would be a great match for them. Should you decide to use a 165/65-14 tire, you still have a good rim that you may use.

A 14" x 5.5" rim would fit a number of tires sizes, but these may be the most common ones -

165/65r14 factory size tire (22.4" diameter) - using these as a comparison for you. Walmart offers 5 options in that size today. Of those I would only consider the Federal & Nokian Nordman 7 as worth buying, but the Nokian tires they offer are studded (which you don't need & are illegal where I live in Wisconsin). Outside of Federal tires, shopping elsewhere for 165/65r14 tires is better.

175/65r14 (23") tires - Walmart offers 118 tire options in that size today. If you are happy with the Barum tires @ Discount Tires, I would stick with those. I've done some research on your tires, and they seem to be a great value (European tire, not made in China like many cheap tires on the market in the States). I feel Discount Tire has selected a good discount tire for their customers, & they don't offer a lot of garbage tires like some other tire vendors.

185/60r14 (22.7") tires - I am adding this size for anyone reading this. If someone wanted a slightly wider tire, they can surely do that with 14" rims. Since upper trim level Mirages use a factory 175/55r15 tire (22.6") tires, a 185/60r14 tire would be almost identical in diameter as factory tires. This in not an odd tire size. Walmart offers 77 options in this size today.

I am not promoting Walmart. I am just using one tire vendor to make a comparison here. I would always shop around at other sites like simpletire.com, tires-easy.com, tirerack.com, etc...

From what I have read, any tire within 3% outsider diameter variance of factory tires is considered a good match. I haven't seen/heard any issue with 155-185 wide tires from forum members. When members jump to 195 or wider tires, issues with rubbing seem to pop up. I am not saying members haven't made wider tires work, however.

If someone is not happy with 165/65r14 tires for whatever reason (lack of options, width/size), 175/65r14 & 185/60r14 size tires are good options to consider. A 185/60r14 tire may be a bit wide for a factory 14" X 4.5" rim, but it has been done without issue. The new 14" x 5.5" alloy rims you are considering would be a much better match for the 3 tire sizes that I have listed above in bold for you.
    Last edited by Mark; 02-09-2020 at 07:02 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you Top Fuel! Any 14 x 4.5 alloys you would recommend? Reasonably priced?
    I have never seen a 14" x 4.5" aftermarket rim (steel or alloy). You will find some 5" & 5.5".

6" wide & larger are more common aftermarket sizes for vehicles.

Whoever is offering you 14" x 5.5" wide rims is guiding you in the right direction in my opinion.
    Last edited by Mark; 02-09-2020 at 05:30 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I am not going to pretend to be an expert on alloy rims, but size-wise 14" x 5.5" are a perfect size for a Mirage in my opinion. If you share what brand/type of rim they are, others may be able to comment on the weight of them.

A 5.5" wide rim is made for tires widths of 165, 175, 185, & 195. 175-185 tires are considered perfect for 5.5" wide rim. If you really like your 175/65-14 Barum tires, those rims would be a great match for them. Should you decide to use a 165/65-14 tire, you still have a good rim that you may use.

A 14" x 5.5" rim would fit a number of tires sizes, but these may be the most common ones -

165/65r14 factory size tire (22.4" diameter) - using these as a comparison for you. Walmart offers 5 options in that size today. Of those I would only consider the Federal & Nokian Nordman 7 as worth buying, but the Nokian tires they offer are studded (which you don't need & are illegal where I live in Wisconsin). Outside of Federal tires, shopping elsewhere for 165/65r14 tires is better.

175/65r14 (23") tires - Walmart offers 118 tire options in that size today. If you are happy with the Barum tires @ Discount Tires, I would stick with those. I've done some research on your tires, and they seem to be a great value (European tire, not made in China like many cheap tires on the market in the States). I feel Discount Tire has selected a good discount tire for their customers, & they don't offer a lot of garbage tires like some other tire vendors.

185/60r14 (22.7") tires - I am adding this size for anyone reading this. If someone wanted a slightly wider tire, they can surely do that with 14" rims. Since upper trim level Mirages use a factory 175/55r15 tire (22.6") tires, a 185/60r14 tire would be almost identical in diameter as factory tires. This in not an odd tire size. Walmart offers 77 options in this size today.

I am not promoting Walmart. I am just using one tire vendor to make a comparison here. I would always shop around at other sites like simpletire.com, tires-easy.com, tirerack.com, etc...

From what I have read, any tire within 3% outsider diameter variance of factory tires is considered a good match. I haven't seen/heard any issue with 155-185 wide tires from forum members. When members jump to 195 or wider tires, issues with rubbing seem to pop up. I am not saying members haven't made wider tires work, however.

If someone is not happy with 165/65r14 tires for whatever reason (lack of options, width/size), 175/65r14 & 185/60r14 size tires are good options to consider. A 185/60r14 tire may be a bit wide for a factory 14" X 4.5" rim, but it has been done without issue. The new 14" x 5.5" alloy rims you are considering would be a much better match for the 3 tire sizes that I have listed above in bold for you.
    Mark your fabulous, what a report! Its easy to tell you were an educator.

As far as I'm concerned we have a council of wizards on here with specialties:

Mark, the wizard of tires
    Fummins, the wizard of CVT and engines
    Top Fuel, the wizard of alignment and axles
    Steve MC, the wizard of maintenance and reliability
    Cobra Jet, the wizard of performance and guide to using the Mirage as a commercial vehicle
    ItsChad, the wizard of driving on the wrong side of the road and great witicisms

A council of minds and magic that Netfix should have a series on.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Mark (02-10-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Top Fuel, Mark, here's a link to the $66 alloy wheels. They weigh 16lbs plus we plan on putting 175 65 r14 Barums on the G4, which weigh 14lbs. That's 30lbs per tire/wheel combo. It's 27lbs for what she has on right now, 14 x 4.5 steel wheel and 165s. That's an added 12lb difference. I'm less concerned about mpg on the G4 and more concerned about handling, power, ruining the suspension with the setup. What are your opinions?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/vision-cross#

said link