Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2018 Mirage vs Versa for work commute - Which is more reliable?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I know I called multiple transmission shops to get their opinion and hardly any of them said they seen a Mirage. Nissans all day of course, one guy said. Another said he worked on 2 Mirages but the only reason they broke was because they put the wrong fluid in. (Universal vs OEM)
    Keep in mind -

2014-18 = 110,086 Mirage vehicles sold in the U.S.

vs.

2014-18 = 599,104 Versa vehicles sold in the U.S.

Plus, the Versa had 8 years (started in 2006) of sales prior to 2014.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    True alot more Nissan Versas on the road but I do live in a large metropolitan area with multiple Mitsu dealerships. I see more and more of these lil 3cyls on the road. I called shops that have extensive CVT experience. Theyre familar with Mirages. One guy I talked to owned a major transmission repair shop with 30 years experience. He described the Mitsu CVT7 as so light, he could cradle it like a baby. He explained the less weight contributed to more reliabilty and that every other car brand seems to be programming their CVTs right, except Nissan. Dont get me wrong however, Nissans dominate the roads in Atlanta. You cant sell that many cars without doing something right. Im sure out of the 500k Versas sold only a small percentage have experienced premature CVT failures. This is all really just conjecture on the worse case scenarios right?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    True alot more Nissan Versas on the road but I do live in a large metropolitan area with multiple Mitsu dealerships. I see more and more of these lil 3cyls on the road. I called shops that have extensive CVT experience. Theyre familar with Mirages. One guy I talked to owned a major transmission repair shop with 30 years experience. He described the Mitsu CVT7 as so light, he could cradle it like a baby. He explained the less weight contributed to more reliabilty and that every other car brand seems to be programming their CVTs right, except Nissan. Dont get me wrong however, Nissans dominate the roads in Atlanta. You cant sell that many cars without doing something right. Im sure out of the 500k Versas sold only a small percentage have experienced premature CVT failures. This is all really just conjecture on the worse case scenarios right?
    I don't think of quality when I hear the word Nissan (or Renault). Nissan's CVTs have a bad reputation.

I think some companies (even Honda & Toyota) were making better vehicles 10-15 years ago, because they were using proven technology. Since the Mirage is so light, it should do better than a heavier vehicle using the same transmission. I agree with that. Change fluids/filters as recommended (or sooner) & hope for the best.

At the moment, I am not impressed with any auto manufacturer.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-27-2019)