Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sedan or Hatchback?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Hatchbacks 10 to 1

Quote Originally Posted by morse View Post
    Which do you prefer - Sedan or hatcback and why?
    I've purchased about 11 vehicles over the years & only one was a sedan. I don't see myself ever buying a sedan. Hauling dogs, tree stands, hunting gear or whatever works some much better with a hatchback or small wagon. If I was a hit man or something, I might prefer a trunk.

The rear seats on the Mirage hatchback are a lame design. You should be able to roll the entire setbacks into the foot well area leaving a much larger flat area for dogs, gear, or whatever. My old Ford Festiva had that design, and the space behind the rear seats was much more usable. I hauled deer of the woods with that car and thought nothing of it. It had an amazing amount of usable space & it was a smaller two door car.

My first car was a used 1978 Honda Civic Wagon, and it had the best designed folding rear seats I have ever seen in a small car. Some thought went into the design even back then. I really like my Mirage, but this is one area that could be improved! Sounds like the sedan wasn't given any thought on this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Mark, sounds like you like to haul stuff so when you cram stuff into your Mirage take a pic and post it in this thread:

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...-G4-Space-Star

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Do sedans have better aerodynamics?
    I have read somewhere that station wagons normally have better aerodynamics that their sedan siblings, due to their better droplet shape. So I would expect that for hatchbacks too.

But that information is old, from the eighties, or something like that. So maybe it's not longer true, as the general shape of sedans have changed since then.

@OP: I would prefer a hatchback. The only scenario I can think of where a sedan is more practical than a hatchback, is when you want to transport kidnapped people in the trunk.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)