Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I crazy? 2017 Fit vs 2018 Mirage..

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Once you buy and live with the Mirage you start to appreciate the Mirage for what it offers for the price. Of course people prefer the suspension to be a tad bit stiffer. Not a problem when you install AirLift kit or put on aftermarket suspension. The newer Mirage have much better suspension compared to the 2014-15. With coilovers and a rear strut bar, I can't compare to any car I have ever driven that corners like my little blue Mirage.

@failsatheals The road noise isn't a problem depending on the tires. My Goodyear UltraGrip Winter tires are a lot less noisy than my Hankook all season touring tires. Just need to have the music loud enough or open the window to hear the wind. The stock tires didn't have too much road noise, stock was less noisy than my Hankooks.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Don't sweat the lack of an armrest!

Quote Originally Posted by failsatheals View Post
    I haven't posted my Mirage story but I made a purchase last weekend and I am enjoying every bit of it.

I definitely enjoy the 5 speed, it is very easy to drive - I definitely need to buy the arm rest.

The gas mileage is amazing, using 3x less gas is nice.

Great visibility

Seats are surprisingly comfy

Insurance rates are a killer

Road noise is up there, I plan on sound deadening mine

I am excited to get the Doax rear sway and polish up ride quality

Overall it is a great little car and I am looking forward to driving and maintaining the next 100k+ miles
    Personally, I wouldn't worry about what your Mirage doesn't have. I would enjoy what it does have & will do for you. I test drove a 2018 Mirage last fall before purchasing a 2017 Mirage for thousands $$$ less. Since that time, the 2018 Mirages have come down in price, too. The 2018 Mirages have the added rear camera, which is a nice addition. It didn't justify the extra cost to me at the time. My new 2017 Mirage ES just came with the armrest and bluetooth added. I didn't request those items. It seemed like a number of 2017 ES models had those two items already installed.

Personally, I could live without the armrest. It's very small. I sit with the front driver's seat all the way back when I drive. Even then, you can't rest your elbow on the armrest unless your take your right hand off the steering wheel. A passenger & driver could never use the armrest at the same time. Since the armrest is so small, not much will fit in it either. It also eliminates the rear cup holder. In some ways, I miss not having the extra cup holder more. Maybe I should sell you my armrest when I think about it? My point - I don't think anyone is missing much by not having it. I've had other cars without center armrest. Not a big deal breaker to me.

As bluetooth goes, it's ok to have. I wouldn't have gone out of my way to have it added. The base level Mirage with a manual transmission is a great value, especially when it's under $10,000 brand new. Compared to base level cars of years ago, this car is actually quite loaded as a base model.

Like you, I am very happy with my Mirage. I could have easily bought a more expensive car. Paying more for something doesn't make it more enjoyable. Knowing I bought something I can pay off in a year or two makes me smile. If something else comes up in life, I have the option of not paying it off early, too.

Vehicles are not an investment. They are transportation. If we take care of our Mirages and drive them for 10 years or so, they are providing us with cheap transportation. I think the car is a hoot to drive. Only my motorcycle is more fun, but the cycle only applies to a few months of the year in Wisconsin. Even if you pay a little extra for interest, these cars are a great value. It's really sad that most car experts aren't pointing that out to people. Mitsubishi could market these cars better. Car experts quote suggested retail prices on these car, & most people never pay that.

Imagine how much interest you would pay on a financed $40,000 - $60,000 pickup or fancy SUV? Then consider how much a vehicle like that would depreciate in 10 years?

When I tell people -
    How much I paid for this car brand new.
    How I had it delivered to my home from a dealership over 200 miles away for free.
    How I never even visited this dealership.
    How we did the paperwork on my kitchen table.
    How this car is the most fuel efficient non-hybrid on the road.
    How it comes with many standard features.
    How it came with a 5-year/60,000 miles bumper-to-bumper warranty, 10-years/100,000 miles warranty, & dealership lifetime/unlimited miles warranty.

They say what? I didn't know you could buy a car like that! Even my dad who isn't a small car guy (who loves his GM vehicles) is amazed. The Mirage may not be for everyone. It's affordable, dependable, efficient, and somewhat fun to drive. If there isn't a market for something like that, it's a sad reflection on us as a society. Imagine the impact on the U.S./world if more people all drove cars like the Mirage whenever possible?

It's good to hear others are happy with their Mirages. For the money, it's a very nice efficient, reliable, small car!
    Last edited by Mark; 04-08-2018 at 03:54 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-08-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Well stated Mark! I think you accurately described the appeal of the Mirage. I think there are a lot of people that the Mirage would be a excellent choice but Mitsubishi is not getting the message out to the “target market”. The Mirage is not perfect by any means but for people wanting no nonsense, efficient, inexpensive, reliable transportation it’s perfect. We love ours and would like to get a second one. We also could have afforded a much more expensive car but I’m way past the point in my life where I need to feed my “ego” or care about status. The money I save in fuel alone brings me happiness and now that fuel prices have been creeping up my co-workers are starting to grumble about fuel costs. I just nod my head and smile.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    We also could have afforded a much more expensive car but I’m way past the point in my life where I need to feed my “ego” or care about status.
    I agree very much with this part, that ego drives the 'need' for bigger & better - at a cost.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    I really like how the Fit has the special fold up rear seat. Instant cargo van. Unfortunately the front seats in the Fit are very uncomfortable for me, as are the Civic seats for the last 20+ years. My daughter complained about the seats in her Accord. We finally sold it and got a different car because of her issue. Lots of different complaints online about Honda seats. The Mirage seats are just about perfect for me.
    Sciatica and degenerative nerve root disease, herniated disc here. The Mirage is one of very few cars that allow me complete comfort while driving short to intermediate length distances.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I appreciate everyone's input.

The Mirage has unusually comfortable seats, much better than most Honda's (both new and used). I'm over 6-foot tall and these are surprisingly some of the most comfortable seats in this "genre" of cars.

As for financial details, I would put money down, obviously. Enough to get the payments on the new Mirage to $199. I know it is not the best financial decision, I've since made payments on my fit to reduce the buy-out, and dealers are willing to bump up the trade value. That, combined with sub-$10k selling price, financed, is realistic.

You must also consider I really want this vehicle. I also really want BMWs, Porsches, etc. but if I need one reliable daily vehicle that is still pleasant to drive, the Mirage is one of the most desirable... or a used 500 Abarth with warranty.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vldsvljvc View Post
    I appreciate everyone's input.

The Mirage has unusually comfortable seats, much better than most Honda's (both new and used). I'm over 6-foot tall and these are surprisingly some of the most comfortable seats in this "genre" of cars.

As for financial details, I would put money down, obviously. Enough to get the payments on the new Mirage to $199. I know it is not the best financial decision, I've since made payments on my fit to reduce the buy-out, and dealers are willing to bump up the trade value. That, combined with sub-$10k selling price, financed, is realistic.

You must also consider I really want this vehicle. I also really want BMWs, Porsches, etc. but if I need one reliable daily vehicle that is still pleasant to drive, the Mirage is one of the most desirable... or a used 500 Abarth with warranty.
    If you have driven it, are sure you like it better than the Honda, and can make the numbers work for you, then there is no reason not to go for it. That is one nice thing about these cars...they are SOOOO inexpensive it is difficult to make a catastrophic, bankruptcy-inducing, finances-ruining mistake with one. Unhappy Mirage owners, despite what professional auto critics might have you believe, are very few and far between. But, as has been mentioned, they are NOT a car you want to finance new and then try to sell/trade in after a year or two. Depreciation on them is pretty vicious. Tell yourself you simply have to drive it for at least the term of your loan.

I tell people all the time when the subject of the Mirage comes up that it is designed for only three things: low cost, high fuel economy, and high reliability. If you want anything else the Mirage probably isn't your best choice.

Mine has 91,000 miles now and has only needed gas, oil, brake pads, tires, and bulbs. Hands-down the most reliable car I have ever owned.

PS: I have three friends who own Mirages...6'3", 6'4", and 6'5". They all say the same thing about the seats.

Last edited by Cobrajet; 04-09-2018 at 08:05 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-09-2018)