Thread: Thoughts about safety Mirage and G4

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Thoughts about safety Mirage and G4

Reading about the incident with the Mirage G4 in Florida I wanted to share thoughts. I noticed our auto insurance increasing every 6 months with Dott and Dolores we have above mandatory coverage's and every driver has clean records. Speaking with someone in the auto salvage industry the reason insurance is higher in most cases for the mirage it’s totaled almost automatically with airbag deployment.

Growing up I was around garages and tow trucks you would be surprised how some people in tin can Ford Fiesta’s would walk away and people in luxury cars with little damage would be severely hurt. I remember a relative had a long commute and owned a base 1996 Hyundai Accent it only had 2 airbags and no other safety devices he was in the middle of a huge accident the Accent was hit on all 4 sides if you saw the car you wonder how anyone survived the only injury was one finger that was overextended during airbag deployment and a few bruises. Recently other relatives were riding in a 5 star safety rated SUV with all of today’s modern safety features when they were hit by a driver that ran a stop sign although they survived the SUV was totaled they have permanent life injuries.

Granted the Mirage are small and light weight but compared to cars 10 to 20 years ago they are much safer. Certainly size is a factor in safety but it's not the end all.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I do feel my kids are safer in my Tundra which is what we use on any road trip or long family drive but feel fine in the Mirage around town etc.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Somewhere in between.

I presently own 3 vehicles for the road, & I would place my Mirage in the middle of the safety factor feel.

I feel safer in my 2011 Subaru Forester, but my Mirage beats my 2009 Kawasaki Versys 650 motorcycle by a long shot.
    My biggest fear is hitting a deer! I somewhat limit my night time motorcycle driving for that reason alone. I'm sure a deer would do more damage to my Mirage than my Subaru, but it's way safer than my cycle.

A person needs to drive defensively, but even more so with small vehicles. You can't overcome the laws of physics! A small car going fast enough may be able to push back a larger vehicle. I just wouldn't want to be in that small car to prove it!

Be safe!

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The safety depends on how well the frame of the body can move the energy and disperse it. A bigger car doesn't always mean good safety. The safety test of some SUVs about 10 years ago showed that the drivers seat crumpled up and the pedals shot up, so that means it would break your leg. I believe the Focus and other hatchbacks were actually getting 5 star ratings.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire