Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't buy/build an intake, just remove the resonator/snorkel tube

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    So like this? https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...sonator-Rattle and this? https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ow-speed/page3

It's hard to believe a little tape would gain you a measurable 5mpg. I wouldn't have expected any noticeable gain or loss whether or not the thing was even there in the first place.
    93 audi? I think most of those have been shredded and sent on a scrap metal ship to china years ago.
    Just like that.

ivan

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Hey Dung Beetle nice to see you back. I have respect for the early buyers of these little cars as they helped get them and this forum established. Hats off!

Quote Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
    To bring back an old topic:
    Keeping old topics alive is welcome here. It's better than starting a new thread which complicates searching for answers.

Over the last 5 years of Mirage ownership the fitment between the intake resonator/snorkel assembly and the air box has become looser than harem trousers.
    Couple of days ago I decided to address it, mostly because of the ridiculous rattle coming from under the hood.

It is very poor/cheap design by the Mitsubishi engineers, as the two areas where the resonator plugs into the air box are just a loose plastic-to-plastic fit.

What I did was wrap few strips of cool tape I had laying around, until the resonator fit very snug into the air box openings, smeared a thin coat of grease over the tape, and plugged it in there.

The result is a perceivable increase in highway MPG; roughly 3-5mpg. 55/57mpg vs 51/53mpg on the same stretches of highway.
    Thanks for the tip - I gotta give this a try.

Any pictures?

You gotta stop back more often with tricks like this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

After reading your comment in your garage entry I think you and Mark could be best friends. He loves him some base model.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    After reading your comment in your garage entry I think you and Mark could be best friends. He loves him some base model.
    I've reached my friends quota; can't take any new ones currently.

I think I might made my fuel-efficiency conclusion too early, and based on a small sample.
    I was back down to 51/53mpg yesterday. We'll see what I consistently get over the next few months.

Over the years, I've noticed quite a bit of mpg fluctuation based on environmental factors.
    With such a small engine, anything from tire pressure, to air humidity, to planetary alignment and moon phases can have an impact on the fuel consumption. I'm mostly joking about the latter.
    ivan

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Dung Beetle nice to see you back. I have respect for the early buyers of these little cars as they helped get them and this forum established. Hats off!

Keeping old topics alive is welcome here. It's better than starting a new thread which complicates searching for answers.

Thanks for the tip - I gotta give this a try.

Any pictures?

You gotta stop back more often with tricks like this.
    I did not take any photos, but if I did they would look the same as these:
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ow-speed/page3

Other than the entire car feeling like a fragile plastic toy, with the rear spoiler and trim pieces a whiff away from breaking, it's actually fairly solid.
    It's more of a (very)long-term road test in my case, as I'm not planning on selling it for a while.
    We'll see what I get once closer to 100k miles, since I've read quite a few testimonials on oil consumption.
    ivan

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dung Beetle For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-11-2020),Fummins (05-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    I've reached my friends quota; can't take any new ones currently.

I'm a bit hurt, but I'll get over it!

Mines been getting better and better every fill up lately. I blame it on a combination of warmer weather and lack of traffic due to Covid. And me rarely flooring it. I can now get under 5l/100km as per the lyometer when I get to work in the morning and by the time I get home at the start of rush hours. I finally got over 500km to a tank, now the dte indicator is showing I still have 500km to go after driving 160 already. I hope that one is true, I've never really paid attention to the dte gauge lately. If I can get 600km to a tank that's 51mpg. merica gallons! I've been using the same gas pump for the last 3 fill ups.
    I honestly never thought I'd become this excited about saving $50-100 a month lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Yeah this stuff is seriously addictive. I got all caught up in it too. We're some kind of support group. Can get you hooked, not sure if there's a cure.

HMAA Introduction:
    "Hi I'm (your name here) I'm a Mirage owner and hypermiler."

HMAA Group response:
    "Hi (your name here)."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-07-2020)