Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post
Yes, partially. And the Mirage's excellent fuel economy helps too. But then you get into a situation where, for example, a Fit Sport costs $4000 more but ends up being only $2000 more over ten years once fuel and insurance are factored in. That makes it tougher to justify NOT getting the more powerful, more refined car. (Not that I don't think the Mirage has plenty of virtues--reading this forum has made that clear!)
So, your calculations show the Mirage is the better bargain over a Honda Fit over twenty year's of ownership? That sounds pretty good to me. Even longer if fuel prices go up. Thanks for pointing this out - I now feel even better about my purchase.

How would one include potential service & repair costs - warranty coverage? I would expect the Mitsubishi new owner factory warranty would put this ahead of the Fit yet again. Do your calculations take into account the different equipment packages?

Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post
There are definitely disadvantages to taking an overly analytical approach to car buying. I have a pretty extensive spreadsheet of all the different options...I keep waiting for an "obvious answer" to emerge, but alas. In the end, I'm sure I'll just test drive all the finalists and buy the one I like the most. ;-)
In the end, this is what it's all about. Thankfully we are able to enjoy so many quality choices.

Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
The mirage and lancer cost me 247/month.
This figure sounds pretty darn high to me. I don't think it's just the car that makes insuring two cars cost nearly $3000/year. There must be other factors involved.

I can't imagine paying $3000 each year for car insurance alone.