Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: Vancouver gas prices...highest ever in North America?!?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I agree with you Fummins. And while I'm probably over-vocal about the fact that noone cares about the high cost of gas really (at least down here), I do agree that it's their money and their choice.

One of the things I don't take into account fairly, is that when I grandpa around in my vehicles, I'm not likely to ever notice others doing the same. Because, when I grandpa around, it's only the race car drivers that are blowing me off the road that I notice. So, if there is another Toyota Camry driver a mile up the road that is driving very conservative the same as me, I'm not likely to ever meet up with that person because our speeds are the same / similar.

I did see this one guy not too long ago, in (as I remember) a generation or 2 older lifted Chevy truck. I can't remember if it was a 3/4 ton or not, may have been. It was a nice truck. Not big huge street only mudders either. Bigger tires, but reasonable for the truck. And this guy was driving very conservative. Not overly slow, but very reasonable. Generally the PowerJoke guys are the worst. Once they do whatever they do to make their trucks loud and make their turbos whistle real loud, they then feel obligated that they have to maximize all available noise and smoke at every opportunity. That's the way it is down here. The guy I was just describing, his truck was loud too. But he just drove it normal. And EVEN IF, his truck was actually achieving 10 mpg, the fact is, he was driving effective / efficiently so I had uber respect for him no matter the burn rate he was achieving. I wanted to give him a thumbs up, but he wouldn't have known for what reason I was up-thumbing him.

My truck is loud too, but because to stock exhaust system corroded open down the length of the pipe, and I replaced it with a simple 5" straight pipe. I still drive it normal. No smoke blowing, no full throttle drag launches between traffic lights.

As an engineering nerd, I would absolutely LOVE to see scientifically measured average traffic speeds at particularly designated spots on interstates throughout the U.S. and Canada from you know, the months pre-Biden, through now. My gut tells me that even as much as I bash the Neanderthals down here in Thunderdome, I would have to guesstimate that the average speed has probably dropped a little bit, and linearly as the price of fuel has climbed.

I just only notice the worst violators because the ones like me, we don't pass each other. Maybe I'll shut up about this crap now...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    You must have only piddled down the interstate with your Silverado. I also have a 2003 GMC Sierra 2WD SCSB 4.8L V8. It's as small a (full size) truck and as small a V8 as GM made in 2003. And it averages about 16.3 mpg. All my vehicles are continuously logged on fuelly. That's mostly just around town mpg, and I drive like grandpa everywhere in order to use as little as is possible. It is professional grade, professional at guzzling. Don't get me wrong, it is very useful. But it is very thirsty too.

P.S. - I don't believe GM made a 5.1L. At least not in 2001, but I may be wrong.
    The engine was a 5.?L, I know that for sure. That Silverado had custom front and rear axles, both with locking differentials; the gear ratios may have been non-standard and that's why it got better than average mileage. It was a real work horse for me...it once even pulled a fully loaded concrete truck out of deep mud, impressing the h**l out the truck driver.

I'm looking forward to the Electric Silverado's coming out next year, not that I'll be able to buy one, unless I suddenly come into a bunch of money$$$.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just only notice the worst violators because the ones like me, we don't pass each other. Maybe I'll shut up about this crap now...
    In my area I have noticed that most people have slowed down a little bit; but there are still the Larry-Leadfoots who just can't get anywhere fast enough. I can only assume they have thick wallets and deep pockets.

$35.00 to fill an 8 gallon gas tank!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stecoop View Post
    The engine was a 5.?L, I know that for sure. That Silverado had custom front and rear axles, both with locking differentials; the gear ratios may have been non-standard and that's why it got better than average mileage. It was a real work horse for me...it once even pulled a fully loaded concrete truck out of deep mud, impressing the h**l out the truck driver.

I'm looking forward to the Electric Silverado's coming out next year, not that I'll be able to buy one, unless I suddenly come into a bunch of money$$$.
    Must have been the 5.3L. From everything I've heard, it's a good engine. You should've held on to that jewel.

Later 5.3L's adopted that cylinder deactivation. I heard (but have no idea how legitimate) from what I recall is a mechanic saying that now they're having all kind of trouble out of those cylinder deactivation engines back from the ~2010 year model generation. I don't keep up with all the GM crap, so I can't say.

I don't have to do much to keep my Cummins running good. I've been all over my Paw's 2003 GMC (now mine since he passed away) fixing this that and the other to keep it rolling. I like the truck, but it has had quite a few smaller issues. Nothing big mind you so I don't consider it a bad truck at all. But it rides and rattles worse than my 3/4 ton 4X4 Dodge that has nearly 200k miles (on all original shocks & springs).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Fuel is so expensive.......I'm actually gonna take my car camping next weekend! Normally I wouldn't hesitate to take the truck and trailer but I figure I'll save around $300-400 in fuel if I take the turd-mobile car. So now I can buy $350 worth of beer instead!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So, you're not taking the trailer? Gonna Mirage camp?

So, you're not taking the trailer? Gonna Mirage camp?
    Correct, no glamper. It's only gonna be for one night so how bad can it be? I'm bringing a tent but there's a good chance that it won't even get setup.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Fuel is so expensive.......I'm actually gonna take my car camping next weekend! Normally I wouldn't hesitate to take the truck and trailer but I figure I'll save around $300-400 in fuel if I take the turd-mobile car. So now I can buy $350 worth of beer instead!

Considering what beer costs now, you won't need anything heavy duty to haul $350 worth of beer; got an eye dropper?

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stecoop For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-13-2022),mohammad (06-13-2022),Princess_Bishi (06-13-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    You might like to come to Europe for a vacation, because good beer and even good wine is multiple times cheaper per litre than fuel.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stecoop View Post
    That's interesting. Years ago I had a 2001 Silverado (5.1L) that regularly got 18 to 22 MPG; I replaced it with a 2004 Ford F150 that only got 12 MPG or less.
    Since we're yakking a bit about Ford WTF were they thinking dropping all cars but the Mustang? I get they seriously shot themselves with the garbage transmissions but damn, to drop the cars, introduce the new Maverick (not horribly priced) and the next gen Ranger ($50K +, wHAT??), both which do nothing to attract me back to Ford (they were my go to brand for a long, long time). And to think it was just 2005 they made the GT40, IMO, the absolute hands down best supercar ever to come from a North American factory.

Oh, and FWIW I don't see anyone driving slower to conserve gas. Still driving 125-140kmh on the 400 series roads.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)