Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Vancouver gas prices...highest ever in North America?!?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    If it didn't have to be processed I would think so.

So, I think it is going to have to hit the $10 a gallon mark in the states to notice a real change in driving habits, at least in the Atlanta metro area. Perhaps less drag racing from traffic lights, less Talladega back-straight high speed drafting on the interstate, and less big honking SUVs with soccer moms in the parking lots idling it away sitting in their A/C while little Johnny plays soccer.

But in Canadia, since y'all use some weirdo wacked out measuring units for your fuel and mpg (), at what $ / L level do you think you canucks may start to really notice driving differences (if you haven't already).

$2/Leeeeeder? $3/Leeeeeeder? Ay?
    I paid over $2/liter cad yesterday. sometimes i go on the highway and see people doing 10-20km/hour under the limit and wonder if they are trying to hypermile. Otherwise no real change. I think the economy tanking and a used toyota being 20k more than a new one is having a bigger impact on the world than gas prices but thats just me.

please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    If it didn't have to be processed I would think so.

So, I think it is going to have to hit the $10 a gallon mark in the states to notice a real change in driving habits, at least in the Atlanta metro area. Perhaps less drag racing from traffic lights, less Talladega back-straight high speed drafting on the interstate, and less big honking SUVs with soccer moms in the parking lots idling it away sitting in their A/C while little Johnny plays soccer.

But in Canadia, since y'all use some weirdo wacked out measuring units for your fuel and mpg (), at what $ / L level do you think you canucks may start to really notice driving differences (if you haven't already).

$2/Leeeeeder? $3/Leeeeeeder? Ay?
    As an engineer, you must use metric, no?

At least for some stuff? Gets hard to divide 13/16th's when you're using microscopes and other scientific equipment. If you live in Canada near the border, you hear people talk in Fahrenheit for temperatures. Otherwise that one is all Celsius. Other stuff it's a mix.

Ask anyone what their pool temperature is on a hot day, they'll say 80 F. Ask anyone's height, they'll say it in ft. and inches.

I think I'm 179 cm tall according to my license, but I would say 6 feet.

We have more British-isms yes, however I find Americans to be extremely friendly and generous people. Sometimes I think Canadians are more reserved. But these are the things of generalization so it's silly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post

At least for some stuff? Gets hard to divide 13/16th's when you're using microscopes and other scientific equipment. If you live in Canada near the border, you hear people talk in Fahrenheit for temperatures. Otherwise that one is all Celsius. Other stuff it's a mix.

Ask anyone what their pool temperature is on a hot day, they'll say 80 F. Ask anyone's height, they'll say it in ft. and inches.

I think I'm 179 cm tall according to my license, but I would say 6 feet.

We have more British-isms yes, however I find Americans to be extremely friendly and generous people. Sometimes I think Canadians are more reserved. But these are the things of generalization so it's silly.
    The world would be a better place if everyone used the metric system.

Since 4 liters = 1.05669 gallons, it's really not that hard to compare gas prices. $2/liter gas for them would be approximately $8/gallon for us. Just take their price times 4. It's not exact, but pretty close.

I paid $3.99/gallon (E10/87 octane) when I left Minnewaukan, North Dakota today. So I could say it was close to $1/liter at that gas pump. Everything else I saw in North Dakota, Minnesota, & Wisconsin was in the $4.09-$4.34/gallon range driving home.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-24-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Gas in Wisconsin is 1/2 off the price in Ontario. Gas being @ $2.06/L, and using the conversion numbers you gave there, I'm paying about $8.20 a gallon. $3.99 has a nicer ring to it!

I wonder about natural gas prices, because I think that's gonna end up hurting my wallet even worse. Bloomberg news had natural gas at over $8 a unit, and for years it was always like $1.80 or so.

Gonna be an expensive winter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Sure..... https://usgas.ca/ Just use google.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Gas in Wisconsin is 1/2 off the price in Ontario. Gas being @ $2.06/L, and using the conversion numbers you gave there, I'm paying about $8.20 a gallon. $3.99 has a nicer ring to it!

I wonder about natural gas prices, because I think that's gonna end up hurting my wallet even worse. Bloomberg news had natural gas at over $8 a unit, and for years it was always like $1.80 or so.

Gonna be an expensive winter.
    $3.99/ gallon was in Minnewaukan, North Dakota. They have a single credit card pump across the highway from the high school. That's the only gas pump for miles around. There are no buildings nearby the pump. Nearest town (Devils Lake, ND) with gas stations were at $4.09/gallon.

We all laughed, because the pump says pay with credit card or inside. There is no inside! If you want to use the rest room, you take a leak on the side of the car away from the road. Even then you may be on camera!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts

At least for some stuff? Gets hard to divide 13/16th's when you're using microscopes and other scientific equipment.
    We only use metric when they force us. But we have to convert it all back to American at every thought or mention of metric. Every time I talk about something being 2 mm thick, immediately we have to let everyone know, that's 78 thousandths. Unless marketing is in the room, then we have to tell them, "it's 0.080 inches." They get lost on the 78 and lose all focus. And then we let them know "don't worry about how big that is, you'll be back on the links in no time."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-24-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    $3.99/ gallon was in Minnewaukan, North Dakota. They have a single credit card pump across the highway from the high school. That's the only gas pump for miles around. There are no buildings nearby the pump. Nearest town (Devils Lake, ND) with gas stations were at $4.09/gallon.

We all laughed, because the pump says pay with credit card or inside. There is no inside! If you want to use the rest room, you take a leak on the side of the car away from the road. Even then you may be on camera!
    I'm gonna be in Winnipeg in August, only a few hours away from Minnewaukan. With the price of gas maybe I should be taking the long route making a "U" through the states to my destination West (Riding Mountain National Park). Can't bring the green stuff on the plane if I do that

Should I bring a canoe or does the water levels get bad around there every year?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    While searching the forum for info on converting a Mirage to run on LPG (not recommended, generally) I found my way to this thread. A decade ago I looked into converting my Silverado to run on LPG (Gas was $4.00/gal and Propane was $1.00/gal). I learned about a kit from Canada for converting Ford 150's that would be compatible with Chevy's; the kit included everything needed for the conversion, including a module that would plug into the engine control computer to alter the fuel mixture and ignition timing for use with LPG. I almost bought it but for two things: drilling and tapping holes in the intake manifold (to install the injectors), and the $3,000.00 cost. Of course, a few months later, the price of gasoline dropped and the cost of propane went up.

Now, with gas at $5.00+ per gallon, I'm tempted to rip the engine out of my Mirage and replace it with three hamster wheels and a couple dozen steroid-injected hamsters!

Gee, silly question, has anybody done a hamster conversion on their Mirage? Enquiring (warped) minds want to know.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Down here in THUNDERDOME, no one seems to give a rip about their fuel costs.

They like to whine and complain. But don't care enough to do anything to use less.

Soccer mom's still idle for hours while little Johnny plays soccer. And Bubba is still leaving thick clouds of soot at every opportunity in his F250 Powerjoke so as to really impress everyone.

Everyone but me has their foot to the floor when the traffic lights turn green, all racing to the obvious red traffic light just ahead.

Last edited by 7milesout; 06-06-2022 at 08:15 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-08-2022)