Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hi, my name is Loren. I own a Mirage.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    For street use, I'd just get a standard coilover kit. The Godspeed kit that I have is adequate. Put it on the car and set it as low as you're comfortable with. Keep them adjusted to full soft, or very near that, especially in the rear.

Add a rear swaybar, and you should be pretty happy.

"Streetable" is relative. Right now, I think my car is uncomfortable and awkward on the street. It's too stiff, bouncy, and creaky. But, it handles GREAT! I think the big difference from the initial setup is that I put even stiffer springs on the front back in December, and then lowered the car another 1.5" after watching my co-driver get about 8" of air under both of the right side tires. It's a lot more stable now, and I'm less nervous autocrossing it. But, I've decided that I'll never fully trust this car, and never drive it to 100% unless I go FULL race car with it... which I'm not going to do.

I'm retiring my Mirage from autocross duty next month. (bought another Miata to play with) At that time, I'll probably raise it up an inch, put the softer front springs on the front, do what I need to do to fit a smaller set of wheels and tires (I bought a set of 15x6.5 wheels w/ 185 tires), and just generally tweak it for better street manners vs. its current autocross-optimization.
    Man we took the skybridge for the first time on vacation down on Ana Maria Island on our way to St. Pete lol. We drove the G4 and werent sure we were going to make it to the top! The 3 cylinder ended up doing just fine even with the AC on!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 5tedman View Post
    Hi Loren,

Although different suspension setups and upgrades have been discussed repeatedly in these forums, I believe you may be have one of the most extensive journeys on setting up the suspension for good handling, avoiding rollovers, keeping all wheels on the road, etc. While keeping it street-friendly!

I got the 2019 Mirage just out of the gates in blue and love the thing. However I do struggle to find the handling and body-roll adequate when taking those 270 degree off-ramps or trying to gather speed on winding roads before merging. Earlier today I had to do a short-notice maneuver to avoid getting side swiped on the freeway and the mirage's suspension seemed to overreact and basically give up while bouncing from side to side in an almost comical way.

I don't have a garage to work on, nor much spare time, therefore any changes I much would be relying on a shop doing it for me. What would be your take on a direct route for a suspension upgrade? I'm just trying to make it behave properly!

Regards!
    Stedman
    I have a 2017 Mirage. I purchased it new in October of 2017, and I added a Daox's rear sway bar in June of 2018.

I was a bit skeptical of a rear sway bar doing much, but I was WRONG! Once I heard a few others try one, I purchased one. I was surprised. I could feel a difference before I even left the end of my driveway. I really like how it changed the driving dynamics of the car. It's really the only modification I have made to my car.

It takes 4-bolts to add on. If you have a shop do it, it may take them 15 minutes to do (even though they may charge you an hour). If I just bought a new 2019 Mirage, I would have a 4 wheel alignment check done first. Then I would add a rear sway bar asap. If I bought a 2nd Mirage, I would order a rear sway bar immediately. I really like the results, & I was one of the skeptical ones.

If I hauled heavy loads in the back, I would add stiffer rear springs. I have another vehicle to pull a trailer and haul big stuff. I like the suspension as is with the rear sway bar. Depends on your needs I guess?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

5tedman (07-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Sounds like I'll be taking that suspension route then! Thanks a lot for the input. Sounds like those folks doing autocross on camaros or vettes might recover their ego once you retire the mirage =)