Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much for a new leftover 2017 vehicles...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    My 2017 Mirage ES (manual) with added bluetooth/center armrest had a window sticker of $14,220. I paid $9299 ($10,153.73 out the door). The "out the door" price included everything (tax, title, new Wisconsin plates). No surprises, added charges, or pressure to purchase anything extra ever came up. Plus, the dealership added an unlimited/lifetime powertrain warranty, & they delivered the car to my home (220 miles one-way) for free.
    Impressed. And jealous! Score one for living in the Midwest.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark, we bought our cars from WBL and I believe you did too. They sell a lot of Mitsubishis

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    ±1 for WBL in the Twin Cities

I opted for new for hassle free ownership and told myself if i found a 5sp es under 10k I would pull the trigger. I went to autotrader and sorted by lowest price and scrolled to standard listings. I saw WBL had one for 9999 with ~<200 doc free excluding tag tittle etc. It was a wednesday and i was going to the area that weekend for easter so i called and asked what they could do to make the sale. They werent very good at communicating via phone and email but managed to get it for 9350 with doc free. I was able to get vip and loyalty because a roommate could transfer the discount to me.

While the lifetime warranty is great, reading some of the restrictions really makes me wonder how likely itll be to use.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    In my limited experience, 66% of window sticker is a good deal on these brand new cars
    If there's a dealer in the current environment (minimal rebates) that will sell a new Mirage for 66% off of MSRP, then everyone needs to fly there to buy their next Mirage. Hey...I'm not kidding. Some high volume dealers can discount more than others. 66% off of MSRP is not typical unless you qualify for special rebates and/or the dealer is able to deeply discount his inventory.

I bought my 2015 new during the early 2016 "fire sale" when the Mirage had a $3,500 rebate (and I qualified for the loyalty discount)...and I still paid more than 66% of MSRP. Here are the exact numbers from my purchase order...

2015 Mirage ES 5-speed *

MSRP.................$15,105 (Invoice $14,794)

Dealer Discount......$-1,055
    Mitsubishi Rebate....$-3,500
    Mitsubishi Loyalty...$-250

Price Before Taxes...$10,300

* Remember the ES in 2015 is now the SE
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 05-03-2018 at 02:58 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

FYI, 7milesout see this thread as well:

Thread: How much did you pay for your Mirage?

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    ...brand new 2016 model, last of its kind. And it was priced wrong. It was priced more than a new one! I went through a lot of email hurdles trying to get them to discount the price on that damned car. Just sell me the car for $500 less than I can buy a new 2017 for and I'll buy it! Nope. They wouldn't do it.
    I just went through a very similar same situation while helping a friend buy a car.

In her case, it was a brand new 2016 Accent on the lot, and it was more expensive than the same trim 2018 model. The salesman agreed it was counter-intuitive, but explained that it was a case of factory rebates having expired on the older car. At some point they must apply some different magic discount/rebate to move the old car, though. Otherwise it'd never sell.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The price difference on 'leftover cars' usually isn't as big as you would think. Cars aren't donuts...you aren't going to walk in and get one for half price just because it is slightly stale and fresher ones have arrived.

When I bought my '15, I actually went in to look at a '14 thinking they'd be really eager to move it along. Price difference was only about $250...but I could get the '15 in any color I wanted instead of accepting a color I didn't care for. That was worth the money by itself.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    They don't go stale? No expiration date? The reason I'm interested in the leftover one is for the SE + 5 speed manual combo that the 2018 doesn't come with. $250 off with a package I prefer is win-win to me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    They don't go stale? No expiration date? The reason I'm interested in the leftover one is for the SE + 5 speed manual combo that the 2018 doesn't come with. $250 off with a package I prefer is win-win to me.
    I am not saying there won't be a discount for last year's model. It just may not be as steep of a discount as you might expect. Looking for a $500 discount is perfectly reasonable.

A dealership near me had a new, leftover '15 model up until a couple months ago. I was following the pricing on it because it was an absolute clone of my car. A Infrared 2015 ES with a manual. They advertised at only about $2000 less than an '18!

Would they have taken less? Probably. It's still for sale...new...at one of those bad credit/high interest what-payment-can-you-afford places.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If there's a dealer in the current environment (minimal rebates) that will sell a new Mirage for 66% off of MSRP, then everyone needs to fly there to buy their next Mirage. Hey...I'm not kidding. Some high volume dealers can discount more than others. 66% off of MSRP is not typical unless you qualify for special rebates and/or the dealer is able to deeply discount his inventory.

I bought my 2015 new during the early 2016 "fire sale" when the Mirage had a $3,500 rebate (and I qualified for the loyalty discount)...and I still paid more than 66% of MSRP. Here are the exact numbers from my purchase order...

2015 Mirage ES 5-speed *

MSRP.................$15,105 (Invoice $14,794)

Dealer Discount......$-1,055
    Mitsubishi Rebate....$-3,500
    Mitsubishi Loyalty...$-250

Price Before Taxes...$10,300

* Remember the ES in 2015 is now the SE
    Personally, I think you got a lot car for the money. The middle trim level is a nice package, and this thread was started because someone recognizes that. Sadly, the manual transmission in the mid-level trim level was drop in 2018. Thus, I see the desire of someone still wanting a 2017 Mirage SE (manual). You do give up a few things with the base level manual.

Some dealerships try to hook people on car payments they can afford. I believe my local Mitsubishi dealership works that way. I knew their “out the door” price and had my financing already lined up with my local credit union before visiting them. I didn’t feel well received at all, & I only used them for a test drive. I want all Mitsubishi dealerships to be successful, but comparing apples to apples on cars was a nightmare. Unless I’m just test driving a car for fun, I would never visit a dealership without knowing their “out the door” price before stepping in the door. I don’t think car salesmen like that, but who cares? My time is valuable. Why waste it dealing on a car?

I am by no means an expert on Mirage history. I just threw the 66% number out there, because I look at things black & white sometimes. In my case, a $9299 purchase price/$14,220 window sticker equaled 65.39%. I don’t mean to be stuck on percentages. I was just trying to make a point that great deals can be found. Some people are willing to buy a one-way plane ticket and drive the car home. It’s not unheard of. I’ve heard of people doing that for a good used car.

When I became interested the Mirage last summer, I would occasionally see the 2017 Mirage ES (manuals) listed for $9500. If you financed $10,000 with Ally (Mitsubishi finance company), a $500 rebate was being offered on top of that. That put a new Mirage ES (manual) @ $9000. If you qualified for other rebates (loyalty customer, veteran, or whatever), you could get the car for less. Their pricing was very straightforward on cars.com. My eventual purchase experience confirmed that. I didn’t have to negotiate a price. I just contacted someone that was selling the Mirage for less, & they actually came to me in the end. I applied for Ally financing on line, but I didn’t sign/pay for anything until the car was delivered to my home. We spent 15-20 minutes at my kitchen table, & they were on their way.

I didn’t jump on these great deals right away last summer. I have two daughters, & they both got married last year (August & September). Once the dust settled from all that, I made my purchase in October. Even though they were sold out of their $9000 Mirages (after the $500 Ally rebate), the same dealership had no problem finding one for me. My Mirage ES (manual) came with a couple extra options (Bluetooth & center armrest), & I was asked if I would be willing to pay $9299. I sensed getting this car was convenient for them, and it was in my first color preference. Given how accommodating they were being, I wasn’t going to bicker over a few hundred dollars.

In my mind, the Mirage is a heck of a nice car for $9,000-12,000. I test drove a 2018 Mirage ES (manual) locally, but their "out the door" price at the time was easily $3000 above what I paid. A base level 2018 Mirages has a back up camera now, but I wasn't willing to pay thousands extra for that. Since my car purchase last Fall, the 2018 prices have gone up & down some. I don’t follow that very closely any more.

A good Mitsubishi general manager is going to be able to tell you how many 2017 Mirage SE (manual) may still exist. Over time, used ones will start to appear more, too. During my brief phone conversation with a general manager, it quickly became apparent that his knowledge of what cars are out there goes way beyond what is on cars.com or autotrader.com.

Focusing on the main objective of this thread - the 2017 Mirage SE (manual). The best price I saw last year was approximately $10,500. If you financed $10,000 with Ally, the car could be had for about $10,000. I may or may not be off a few hundred dollars. I just know that I could have gotten one at that price last October. I was told manual SE models were less available than ES models, & that was 7 months ago. Depending on where you live tax, license, registration, plates, etc… adds about $1,000 to these cars in the Midwest. At the time of my purchase, 2018 models were on the lots, and Mitsubishi was interested in moving out the 2017 models. The dealers are at the mercy of the incentives given to them, too. All of us are sharing the past. That really doesn’t mean much. A person needs to find the car s/he wants now. Anyone looking for a mid-level trim with a manual transmission can’t really compare it to something that no longer exists in 2018. My prediction – as gas prices continue to go up, great deals on Mirages will go down.

I bought a new 2017 Mirage for slightly below 66% window sticker. I did it via email/phone, & I never visited the dealership (I've never been there). Maybe I was lucky. I don’t know? It seemed really painless to me.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-04-2018 at 11:37 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (05-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    A dealership near me had a new, leftover '15 model up until a couple months ago. I was following the pricing on it because it was an absolute clone of my car. A Infrared 2015 ES with a manual.
    Here it is!

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0967/overview/