Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ac not working.

Ac not working.

I've got a car in the shop that came in with a complaint of the ac not blowing cold. I took a quick look, the compressor doesn't even turn on. Checked the voltage at the pressure sensor, .49 volts so it's low on pressure. I poked the schrader valves and nothing came out, bone dry. First thought is the condenser took a rock but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary but I'm sure there's a hole in it somewhere. I'm not set up to recharge ac, we usually farm that work out otherwise I'd pressure the system up and be able to find the leak quicker. For now I'll be pulling the bumper and I'll post what I find. Try to pressure up the condenser with air and see if there's a leak. Hope it's that simple! Surprisingly I haven't had to change a Condenser on these cars yet. Car is a 17' with 110k kms lots of country roads.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-03-2018),MetroMPG (05-03-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Well...let's hope it's the condenser and not the evaporator.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Yeah it's the condenser thankfully. Attachment 11786 Here's how I pressured it up: Attachment 11787cut up an ac line from a wreck, found a piece of coolant hose the right size and shaved down a valve stem to fit the hose, hose clamped it together. Then bent the other rubber hose over to clamp it shut. Spray with soapy water then pressure it up. It leaked a little at the valve stem but it help pressure better than I expected.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Adam - UK (05-03-2018),MetroMPG (05-03-2018),Top_Fuel (05-03-2018)

Now to see how much it hurts for a new one. Might be stuck going to the stealership. Might have to pick up some mesh to put behind the opening in the bumpers?
    Mirage videos:

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

fc321 (05-03-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    That's gonna be a pain in the a$$. Mirages are one of the first cars to use the new, hoity-toity, 'environmentally friendlier-er-er' r1234yf refrigerant. I have never seen it on parts store shelves.

Stuff is EXPENSIVE.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Here's how I pressured it up...
    That's a great idea! I would have gone right for some dye or maybe bummed an expensive electronic leak detector. You just solved that problem with some spare parts.

Did those fins look like that when you removed the condenser? Some of them look bent up...or is it me? I still have 2/3 of my grill blocked from winter driving...but I like the idea of some sort of protective mesh to prevent a rock from hitting it. The condenser is about $350 in the US.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    That's gonna be a pain in the a$$. Mirages are one of the first cars to use the new, hoity-toity, 'environmentally friendlier-er-er' r1234yf refrigerant. I have never seen it on parts store shelves.

Stuff is EXPENSIVE.
    I'm pretty sure the ac guy just filled the last one with r134. (car was in a wreck) I guess I lied this'll be the second I've had to change. But first from not being crashed into something. Attachment 11788

Edit: I think you're probably right, kinda.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-03-2018 at 06:09 PM.
    Mirage videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    That's a great idea! I would have gone right for some dye or maybe bummed an expensive electronic leak detector. You just solved that problem with some spare parts.

Did those fins look like that when you removed the condenser? Some of them look bent up...or is it me? I still have 2/3 of my grill blocked from winter driving...but I like the idea of some sort of protective mesh to prevent a rock from hitting it. The condenser is about $350 in the US.
    I found one for $180cad on rockauto but we don't buy from there lol. Yeah the fronts of these cars take a beating! You should see the car with 360k.
    Mirage videos:

The most surprising thing in this thread is that it's finally warm enough in Alberta to want to turn on the AC.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-03-2018),inuvik (05-03-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    The most surprising thing in this thread is that it's finally warm enough in Alberta to want to turn on the AC.

For sure. I run mine for about 5 minutes a week just to keep the compressor lubed. I ran my ac continuously once last year I think when I travelled to the Willamette Valley. Otherwise, I never need it here. 75F (24C) is a hot day here on the Oregon Coast.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)