Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dolores Emergency Tire Replacement plus Alignment

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Dolores Emergency Tire Replacement plus Alignment

We were out of town and noticed one of our Ecoslaves had a bubble on the sidewall before leaving I checked the car and tires thoroughly the bubble was not present. Obviously being hundreds of miles away from home I wanted to replace the tire obviously everyone on the Mirage Forum knows we do not many choices so we replaced all with Cooper 175 65 r 14. 65,000 wear I think we did good considering the circumstance $61 per tire and the 4th was free. The alignment was a surprise rear was perfect front was a tiny bit off but within the general spec. The car has around 20,500 miles. I was able to drive the car with the new coopers and I feel it rides better you can feel the difference at ramps. It also feels good knowing there's 11/32's of tread instead of the 9/32 with the ecoslaves.

Although it's only been a few days no mpg difference.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DottandDolores For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-01-2018),ThunderG (08-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    That's great news - glad it all worked out. I've been interested in Cooper tires. What model Cooper did you get? I've looked through their website and didn't find many in 14", and none rated for 65,000 miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The OEM Dunlop tires are garbage. I'm a big fan of the tire size you are using with Falken Sincera tires. I get over 80k miles out of them.

Of course, the Falken tires are special order where I get tires. You made the right choice by getting Cooper tires. I have a set of Cooper tires on the Delorean. They balance nicely and ride very smooth. Keep us up to date on your Cooper tires. It would be nice to know how many miles you get out of them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Cooper Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That's great news - glad it all worked out. I've been interested in Cooper tires. What model Cooper did you get? I've looked through their website and didn't find many in 14", and none rated for 65,000 miles.
    Cooper has a Evolution Tour, & the T-rated version have a 65,000 mile warranty. I believe this is a relatively new tire that came out about a year ago. It should be a good basic all-season tire. I am not sure how the Evolution compares to the CS5 ultra-touring & grand-touring tires?

In our area Cooper tires are very popular. Mastercraft & Starfire also have connections with Cooper tires. Cooper seems to have 4 styles of 175/65-14 tire options. No 165/65-14 options. 165 width tires are not listed in any tire size.

You have to let us know how you like your tires as time goes on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    The OEM Dunlop tires are garbage. I'm a big fan of the tire size you are using with Falken Sincera tires. I get over 80k miles out of them.
    It makes a guy wonder why the Dunlop tires are so expensive?

175/65-14 does seem to give a person a lot more options than the factory size 165/65-14. The 175/65-14 tire size would have been a better standard tire choice for the U.S. market for sure!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It makes a guy wonder why the Dunlop tires are so expensive?

175/65-14 does seem to give a person a lot more options than the factory size 165/65-14. The 175/65-14 tire size would have been a better standard tire choice for the U.S. market for sure!
    Back when I first shopped for tires, the OEM size was very rare. I don't know how rare it is these days, but that would be a pretty good reason for the Dunlop tires to be so expensive.

The 175/65-14 Falken Sincera tire works for me. I got over 80k miles out of the last set. As long as my current set does the same thing, I will never put a different tire on the Mirage, no matter what price the Falken Sincera tire sells for.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Falkin Sincera SN250 tires are currently on sale at my local Walmart for $46 each. Thats a bargain! I paid $60 each for mine. Hopefully this doesn't mean they are about to discontinue them.

My last set of Sincera tires was the SN211. I got over 80k miles out of them, but unfortunately that model was discontinued.

At 178k miles I put a set of Sincera SN250 tires on the car. I am currently at 210k miles with plenty of tread left. I need to put another 50k miles on these tires for me to be happy. If they are any bit as good as the SN211, I will be happy.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Cooper gls evolution touring 65,000 warranty 175 65 r 14

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    ...one of our Ecoslaves had a bubble on the sidewall...
    If you've ever had an Enasave in your hands when it's off the wheel, the sidewalls seem extremely thin for an automotive tire and may be more susceptible to damage from potholes and/or curbs. I have read a few complaints about Enasave sidewall bubbles on other websites...but it doesn't seem like a common issue on our forum.

...The alignment was a surprise rear was perfect front was a tiny bit off...
    I'm glad you spent the extra few dollars on a 4 wheel alignment. I want to hit my head against a wall when someone posts about their new tires...but they wanted to save a few bucks so they passed on an alignment. If you have a good alignment and you keep your tires rotated, I'm sure they will last the 65,000 miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    Cooper gls evolution touring 65,000 warranty 175 65 r 14
    What is the DOT code on your new tires? I wonder where they are made.

3D USA COOPER TIRE & RUBBER CO.
    AT ENGLAND COOPER-AVON TYRES, LTD.
    RM CHINA COOPER KENDA TIRE (KUNSHAN)
    U9 USA COOPER TIRE & RUBBER CO
    UP USA COOPER TIRE & RUBBER CO
    UT USA COOPER TIRE & RUBBER CO

Last edited by Eggman; 08-02-2018 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Added DOT location code table.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)