Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive way to get an extra key?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    To add a key, you must already have 2 registered keys...
    Interesting. That's the way you do it for Ford keys. Here's a simple tip for you guys with actual keys...

Never have fewer than 3 keys programmed to your car.

That way if you lose one, you can always get a new key cut and register it to the car yourself. If you only have 2 keys and lose one, you are heading to the dealer (or a locksmith with a good aftermarket scan tool).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    Ok, after doing a little sleuthing the researched answer is "Yes". Mitsubishi uses a Philips Encrypted type 46 transponder chip in their immobilizer systems. Here is a site that sells the keys with the proper chip.

http://www.keynet.com/century-mitsub...17-pt-5912557/

You can program the extra key yourself without taking it to the dealer. Here are the instructions from Chapter 5 of the owner's manual:

1.) My European car has no mention of that procedure anywhere in its owners manual.

2.) I tried it anyway with two programmed and three unprogrammed and mechanically cut keys with type 46 transponders.

3.) It did not work! Also, during the procedure no immobilizer light blinks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    1.) My European car has no mention of that procedure anywhere in its owners manual.

2.) I tried it anyway with two programmed and three unprogrammed and mechanically cut keys with type 46 transponders.

3.) It did not work! Also, during the procedure no immobilizer light blinks.

The process might be disabled in ETACS for the Euro market, just like turning off traction control isn’t available either.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I only have one key, which I don't even believe is the original because it doesn't have the mitsu logo on it. I bought a blank Transponder key and took it to the locksmith. They cut it and tried to program it but failed. They said that the only solution would be to buy what's called a "cloner" blank which can be made as an exact copy of the current key so you can bypass the programming step requiring 2 keys. However I haven't done this because I don't know how to get a hold of a cloner key, so for now I have 1 ignition and 1 door key.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 47.1 mpg (US) ... 20.0 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theforerunner343 View Post
    They said that the only solution would be to buy what's called a "cloner" blank
    Well, you *could* go to your local Mitsubishi dealer and get keys from them too. Just want to point out that there are alternatives.

I know, I know - they're too expensive.

I'm curious to know what various dealers would charge to cut & program two new standard keys for a Mirage. They might not be too pricey.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Well, you *could* go to your local Mitsubishi dealer and get keys from them too. Just want to point out that there are alternatives.

I know, I know - they're too expensive.

I'm curious to know what various dealers would charge to cut & program two new standard keys for a Mirage. They might not be too pricey.
    My local dealer closed after the Nissan buyout. Next closest is over an hour away

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 47.1 mpg (US) ... 20.0 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm curious to know what various dealers would charge to cut & program two new standard keys for a Mirage.
    I had this done for my wife's Nissan...which uses fobs and has push-button start...but it's pretty much the same process as programming normal keys.

I acquired the proper fobs on eBay (which included key blanks)...I had the keys cut by a local locksmith ($5), then I dropped everything off at the dealer. They programmed 3 fobs to the car for $90 (their standard labor rate for 1 hour). It would have cost me the same if I had brought in 1 key or 4 (the max I could program to the same car). So if you can get the keys for a good price, consider buying as many as you can program to a Mirage (I think it's 4?).

A local locksmith quoted me $60 for the same service...but he wasn't sure he could program a 2016?!? So the $90 dealer service sounded reasonable.

The dealer's only warning to me was this: We're charging you $90 even if you bring us junk from eBay that can't be programmed to the car. So if you buy keys from another source, you'd better have some confidence that it will work because the dealer is making money no matter what happens!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,683 Times in 2,102 Posts

programming an extra key

To add a key, you must already have 2 registered keys. You need to register the ID code to the vehicle. Registering the ID code can be done by yourself(except for vehicles sold in Canada), or by your authorized Mitsubishi Motors dealer. For you to register the ID code yourself, follow the “Customer key programming” procedure below. If you choose to have your authorized Mitsubishi Motors dealer register the ID code, take your vehicle and all remaining keys to your authorized Mitsubishi Motors dealer.

You can program new keys to the system if you have two valid (already registered) keys and blank immobilizer key (specially cut for your vehicle at your Mitsubishi Motors dealer) by doing the following:

1. Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch and turn the key to the “ON” position for 5 seconds.

2. Turn the key to the “OFF” position and remove the first key.

3. Within 30 seconds of removing the first key, insert the second valid key into the ignition and turn it to the “ON” position.About 10 seconds later, the immobilizer indicator will start to blink.

4. When the immobilizer indicator starts blinking, turn the second valid key to the“OFF” position and remove it. Within 30 seconds after doing so, insert a blank immobilizer key into the ignition switch and turn it to the “ON” position. Perform this operation no more than 30 seconds after the immobilizer indicator starts blinking. When registration of the ID code is complete, the immobilizer indicator will come on for 3 seconds then go off. If an error occurs, the immobilizer indicator will go off during the procedure.

5. If you wish to register another key, performthe process again from step 1.
    Just curious - Has anyone been successful programming a third extra key for a Mirage using these steps?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Just want to tell you that I bought a transponder key from eBay for $5 and took it to the local Mitsu dealer to have it cut and programmed. It turned out that the eBay key had been cut incorrectly along the length of the key, thereby preventing entry of the key into the keyhole in the first place. The key was cut as a mirror image of the grooves, so it would not go into the key hole. Needless to say the Mitsu dealership could not program the key, and I lost the $5 at eBay and $19 to the dealership for their time. eBay is unreliable.
    Last edited by FrugalDriver; 07-12-2018 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Added more information.
    2017 Mirage ES
    27k miles
    CVT tranny
    Bought used in 2018
    165 65 14 Dunlop Enasave tires

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FrugalDriver For This Useful Post:

Avgjohndoe (01-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FrugalDriver View Post
    Just want to tell you that I bought a transponder key from eBay for $5 and took it to the local Mitsu dealer to have it cut and programmed. It turned out that the eBay key had been cut incorrectly along the length of the key, thereby preventing entry of the key into the keyhole in the first place. The key was cut as a mirror image of the grooves, so it would not go into the key hole. Needless to say the Mitsu dealership could not program the key, and I lost the $5 at eBay and $19 to the dealership for their time. eBay is unreliable.
    Bummer! I've bought extra keys and remotes for my 06 F150 and they worked but one of the remotes stopped working. It's really a gamble if they work or stay working.