Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive way to get an extra key?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Okay, so I have a wrecked 2017 that has(had) two fully working keys(regular key with the keyless entry buttons on the head), I tried to fiddle around with a 3rd key this afternoon to see if I could program the transponder thing to the car since the little ring that I assume picks up the transponder signal is removed from the steering column already(was damaged in an accident and I just plugged in a good one so I can drive the car around the parking lot).

I tried a few differrent menu's in my scanner to try and program a key. All I ended up doing was erase the 2 keyless entry functions of the two original keys and got a third key to work the keyless entry but it wouldn't start the car...

I found two menu's labeled key registry (or something like that) but it asked for a password. I found one for the Mirage online that worked in one of the menu's but it asked for the key id number(for up to 3 keys) it's supposed to be an 8 digit code. I opened up the key heads of one of the original keys that still starts the car and one that doesn't, the only numbers I could see that were different between the two were 6 digits long. I'm wondering what or where this key id is? hidden in the key or do you get it when you buy a new key?
    Or better yet what are the two passwords required to get into the two programming menu's? The password that I used was 62B3.

I'm trying to see if I can program a second key for a 2017 that was recently bought used and only came with one working key.
    Isn't there a key number on the original keychain supplied with the car, or should be? My dealer handed me the keys, with the key # written on the keyring. Now, I don't know where it is ATM, it's in the house somewhere but I can't recall any details. I;ll look around for it.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Isn't there a key number on the original keychain supplied with the car, or should be? My dealer handed me the keys, with the key # written on the keyring. Now, I don't know where it is ATM, it's in the house somewhere but I can't recall any details. I;ll look around for it.
    There is, I believe it's just a code that can be given to a lock smith so they can cut a new key though. Each key might have it's own id # like a tpms sensor does, at least that's how I think it works?
    I found some info on older Mitsubishi's 02-04 ish era, aparently there was a a sticker with a code on it somewhere in the car that if entered would alow the car to start 2 times without a chipped key. Still, that won't help me here. Goal is to take a car with only one working key and program a second one without seeing a dealer.
    The one "password" I found that works seemed to be specific to the model not the vin so I'm hoping it's not that hard to get.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    There is, I believe it's just a code that can be given to a lock smith so they can cut a new key though. Each key might have it's own id # like a tpms sensor does, at least that's how I think it works?
    I found some info on older Mitsubishi's 02-04 ish era, aparently there was a a sticker with a code on it somewhere in the car that if entered would alow the car to start 2 times without a chipped key. Still, that won't help me here. Goal is to take a car with only one working key and program a second one without seeing a dealer.
    The one "password" I found that works seemed to be specific to the model not the vin so I'm hoping it's not that hard to get.
    My kid tells me if one area model lets you program a key from a key they all have that ability, it may be masked off and easy to get or not.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you have two programmed keys for your mirage, you can program your own key with them. It cost me less than $15 to make a third key. That includes the purchase of the key & hardware store cutting it. Programming it takes less than 2 minutes using your owner's manual directions.

So Mark, your third key looks different from your other two, correct? It does not have the lock/unlock/Panic buttons, correct? It uses the cut metal key to turn the lock in the door and ignition and the programmed transponder to communicate with the immobilzer allowing the vehicle to start.

My wife and I have each had a "lost keys" moment. Luckily found both times but I want a spare. This may be a viable option it soulds like.
    Since there is no key hole on the right side, I will have to conteplate having a legit 3 button key made though.
    Otherwise, I would not be able to open the wife's door for her without getting inside first.
    The wife loves her lock/unlock buttons as well so there is that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    also, the reviews for this key say it was able to be added with an AUtel Essntial scanner.

https://www.amazon.com/Keyless2Go-Re...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    actually... this looks like the ticket for me:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/12284949531...iABEgLum_D_BwE

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    So Mark, your third key looks different from your other two, correct? It does not have the lock/unlock/Panic buttons, correct? It uses the cut metal key to turn the lock in the door and ignition and the programmed transponder to communicate with the immobilzer allowing the vehicle to start.
    Correct to the above statement! If you want to program an extra transponder key, it takes two keys to pull that off. I have not explored the keys with the remote.

Personally, I would have the cheap key made regardless. You get two of them for under $7 each. A hardware store or Walmart charges how much to cut a key? A few bucks maybe? For $20, you would have two extra working keys. I like having one with me for long trips. Just in case I lost my key far from home.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AKS-KEYS-...nder/756108926

The 2020+ cars would use the same key.

If you lose a factory key with the remote, cross that bridge when the time comes. I have never used one of my factory keys (except when I programmed a third), and the key code tab is with that extra key, too.

I copied & pasted from an earlier post below -

No tools were necessary to code a third key for my 2017 Mirage.

1. Turn your ignition on with the first key (for about 5 seconds), & then turn off and remove.

2. After removing the 1st key, turn on the ignition with your 2nd key. In less than 10 seconds, the immobilizer indicator (multi-information display) will start to blink. Now turn off & remove your 2nd key.

3. You have 30 seconds to insert your new blank key. Turn on the ignition with the new blank key, & it will be automatically programmed to the car. It took less than 5 seconds to program itself, & the new third key starts the car without issue!

I'm still trying to figure out how to program a second key if you only have one. I got as far as making the fob control the keyless entry but couldn't figure out the transponder part. And I deleted the original working key keyless entry function, so there are still some bugs to work out lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Correct to the above statement! If you want to program an extra transponder key, it takes two keys to pull that off. I have not explored the keys with the remote.

Personally, I would have the cheap key made regardless. You get two of them for under $7 each. A hardware store or Walmart charges how much to cut a key? A few bucks maybe? For $20, you would have two extra working keys. I like having one with me for long trips. Just in case I lost my key far from home.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AKS-KEYS-...nder/756108926

The 2020+ cars would use the same key.

If you lose a factory key with the remote, cross that bridge when the time comes. I have never used one of my factory keys (except when I programmed a third), and the key code tab is with that extra key, too.

I copied & pasted from an earlier post below -

No tools were necessary to code a third key for my 2017 Mirage.

1. Turn your ignition on with the first key (for about 5 seconds), & then turn off and remove.

2. After removing the 1st key, turn on the ignition with your 2nd key. In less than 10 seconds, the immobilizer indicator (multi-information display) will start to blink. Now turn off & remove your 2nd key.

3. You have 30 seconds to insert your new blank key. Turn on the ignition with the new blank key, & it will be automatically programmed to the car. It took less than 5 seconds to program itself, & the new third key starts the car without issue!
    Not a bad idea actually to take a cheaper one on trips as we use ours on long trips to save fuel costs. Although I would probably use a hide a key box behind a fender liner or something because the car would likely be locked when I lost the key.
    I am ok with the $27 price plus cutting from eBay (if they work) as it should lengthen the life of the original remotes that came with the car.
    I am starting to lean towards one each now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    Not a bad idea actually to take a cheaper one on trips as we use ours on long trips to save fuel costs. Although I would probably use a hide a key box behind a fender liner or something because the car would likely be locked when I lost the key.
    I am ok with the $27 price plus cutting from eBay (if they work) as it should lengthen the life of the original remotes that came with the car.
    I am starting to lean towards one each now.
    Yes, but i don't know what it cost to program a remote? Do you? Have you explored that?

The key I have cost nothing to program. You only pay for the cutting of the key. I would pay extra for a keyed ignition over push button start for that reason alone.

Supplying multiple driving instructors with keys is harder/more expensive to do with push button start, too.

I carry my simple spare key in my pocket if I have the concern you share. It's so simple. Pocket knives, other keys, or whatever can't really abuse it either.