Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive way to get an extra key?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    I’m a little bit confused with my situation. My car came with 1 non OEM key (no button) and a separate Karr keyfob (previous owner installed Karr alarm system). Do I need to duplicate both the key and keyfob, which sounds very expensive? If I duplicate only the key, and I lose the first key + fob, I can still open and operate the car with the duplicate, right? Just need to find a way to deactivate the alarm in that scenario....
    If you lock your car with the fob & go back to unlock it with the fob less key, does the alarm sound off?

Last edited by Mark; 07-20-2020 at 06:36 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you lock your car with the fob & go back to unlock it with the fob less key, does the alarm sound off?
    Yes, it does. I have to deactivate the alarm with the fob.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, it does. I have to deactivate the alarm with the fob.
    Since you have this system installed on your car, I would find out how much it cost to replace a lost fob key or have a duplicate fob key made by KARR Auto Security.

https://www.swds.net/karr-auto-security

If you find out, please share that with us.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Since you have this system installed on your car, I would find out how much it cost to replace a lost fob key or have a duplicate fob key made by KARR Auto Security.

https://www.swds.net/karr-auto-security

If you find out, please share that with us.
    I can get a new remote from Karr for $60 and it comes with an instruction on how to program it. Or I can also get a used one from eBay for around $25 and look up instruction online...
    For the key, the lowest quote I can get is $85. Is that a good price?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can get a new remote from Karr for $60 and it comes with an instruction on how to program it. Or I can also get a used one from eBay for around $25 and look up instruction online...
    For the key, the lowest quote I can get is $85. Is that a good price?
    Depends how important the aftermarket alarm system is to you?

I have not priced a new Mirage key with keyless entry attached.

I have two factory Mirage keys with keyless entry remotes. These came with the new car.

I purchased a third key. It cost less than $15 to purchase, cut, & program this key for use. Using the owner's manual instructions, I programmed the new third key. It takes two programmed keys to program a replacement key. Should a person lose a key, having two keys left allows you to program another blank chipped key.

I got a quote for a 2016 Ford Focus key the other day. ACE Hardware will laser cut key (different style key than our Mirage), program to the car, & program the keyless remote buttons. Cost was $150.

Compared to $150 @ a hardware store, the price you quoted doesn't seem bad.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tbird89 View Post
    I think the dealership charges like $150 to get an extra key for your Mirage. Does anyone know of a less expensive option?
    I checked yesterday @ a local dealer: $210 for the key +for cutting and programming.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 18slcmirage View Post
    I checked yesterday @ a local dealer: $210 for the key +for cutting and programming.
    If you have two programmed keys for your mirage, you can program your own key with them. It cost me less than $15 to make a third key. That includes the purchase of the key & hardware store cutting it. Programming it takes less than 2 minutes using your owner's manual directions.

I still have to buy a new key to replace one I think I lost. I have a key from a car I scrapped out that I can robb the transponder/key fob part from. I'm hoping to buy an amazon key with fob shell, get it cut at a locksmith and program with the autel scanner I have. I should probably get on that before the one key for that car gets lost or locked inside the car...
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I still have to buy a new key to replace one I think I lost. I have a key from a car I scrapped out that I can robb the transponder/key fob part from. I'm hoping to buy an amazon key with fob shell, get it cut at a locksmith and program with the autel scanner I have. I should probably get on that before the one key for that car gets lost or locked inside the car...
    Ha, car was written off before I got around to this.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Okay, so I have a wrecked 2017 that has(had) two fully working keys(regular key with the keyless entry buttons on the head), I tried to fiddle around with a 3rd key this afternoon to see if I could program the transponder thing to the car since the little ring that I assume picks up the transponder signal is removed from the steering column already(was damaged in an accident and I just plugged in a good one so I can drive the car around the parking lot).

I tried a few differrent menu's in my scanner to try and program a key. All I ended up doing was erase the 2 keyless entry functions of the two original keys and got a third key to work the keyless entry but it wouldn't start the car...

I found two menu's labeled key registry (or something like that) but it asked for a password. I found one for the Mirage online that worked in one of the menu's but it asked for the key id number(for up to 3 keys) it's supposed to be an 8 digit code. I opened up the key heads of one of the original keys that still starts the car and one that doesn't, the only numbers I could see that were different between the two were 6 digits long. I'm wondering what or where this key id is? hidden in the key or do you get it when you buy a new key?
    Or better yet what are the two passwords required to get into the two programming menu's? The password that I used was 62B3.

I'm trying to see if I can program a second key for a 2017 that was recently bought used and only came with one working key.

Mirage videos: