Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Inexpensive way to get an extra key?

Are remotes even programable or do you program the car to read the remote?
    I guess it's similar to aftermarket tpms sensors, you can either buy pre "programmed/setup" for that model them then register them to the car via obdII port or buy cloneable ones and clone the tpms sensors that you already have using a completely different tool(in most cases).
    This might be useful for someone. You can look up different part numbers for different models and years. https://www.americankeysupply.com/se...e-product/6815

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Yes, but i don't know what it cost to program a remote? Do you? Have you explored that?

The key I have cost nothing to program. You only pay for the cutting of the key. I would pay extra for a keyed ignition over push button start for that reason alone.

Supplying multiple driving instructors with keys is harder/more expensive to do with push button start, too.

I carry my simple spare key in my pocket if I have the concern you share. It's so simple. Pocket knives, other keys, or whatever can't really abuse it either.
    As almost everything is a compromise, I will compromise some added $ for the convenience of an extra fob.

For my personal comfort the less I have in my pants pockets while driving the better. Espicially on long trips I am annoyed that apple no longer makes small phones and my iphone SE2022 always goes in a holder attached to the right side of the console for that reason.

Here are the fob instrunctions I found:
    https://www.brooklynmitsubishi.com/s...bishi-key-fob/
    Mitsubishi Key Programming Instructions
    Sometimes your Mitsubishi key fob loses the connection with your car and stops responding to your commands. This can happen if your car loses power and resets. The good news is that reprogramming the key can bring it back to life in minutes from the comfort of your The Bronx garage. Just follow these steps:

Hold both the lock and unlock button until the lights flash three times.
    Let the buttons go.
    Push the unlock button until the light flashes two times. Your car is synchronized.
    Test the connection to make sure everything is working properly.

Although it would seem i could easily unlock someone else's car with these instructions. Maybe they are only for units which have been assigned to the car already.
    The owner's manual has different instructions (dealer required) but I have found dozens of dealer websites giving the same instructions above.

I look forward to the challenge.

Although these instructions seeem much more plausible as it requires an already working remote.

https://northcoastkeyless.com/2020-m...-instructions/
    Last edited by Christopher_B; 02-21-2023 at 08:55 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    Hold both the lock and unlock button until the lights flash three times.
    Let the buttons go.
    Push the unlock button until the light flashes two times. Your car is synchronized.
    I share the same hatred of large cell phones. My first cell phone was the best, because it was the smallest.

If the instructions you shared work, I would want the keyless entry removed from my Mirage asap.

You'll have to let us know how it goes (programming a new blank key along with the keyless entry feature). I seriously hope someone can't access my car with a new remote that easily.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As I mentioned at the end of my last post.... these directions from the NORTHCOAST keyless link look like they would be correct:

REMOTE HEAD KEY FOB
    Step-By-Step How To Programming Instructions

Enter Programming Mode – Step 1
    PRESS the UNLOCK button for 5-10 seconds on the already programmed remote.

Enter Programming Mode – Step 2
    PRESS and HOLD the LOCK button on the same remote.

Enter Programming Mode – Step 3
    WITHIN 10 seconds, RELEASE the LOCK and then the UNLOCK button. Door locks will cycle LOCK/UNLOCK to indicate successful entry into Programming Mode.

Program Remote
    WITHIN 60 seconds, COMPLETE the following steps with the new un-programmed remote WITHIN 4 seconds:

a. PRESS and HOLD BOTH the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons for 2 seconds.

b. RELEASE BOTH the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons for 1 second.

c. PRESS the UNLOCK button.

d. Door locks will cycle LOCK/UNLOCK to confirm successful programming of the new remote.

Program Additional Remote(s)
    REPEAT Step 4 for any additional remotes to be programmed.

Exit Programming Mode
    WAIT 60 seconds for the vehicle to EXIT Programming Mode on its own.

Test Remotes
    TEST all remotes. Programming is now complete.

If these programming instructions helped save you time and money, please consider sharing our website with friends and family so they can do the same.

Programming Notes:

Verify the following prior to following these instructions:
    Your vehicle is equipped with keyless entry, and
    You have a key fob remote that is compatible with your vehicle.
    You MUST have 1 previously programmed remote head key in order to add another without the assistance of an Automotive Locksmith professional.
    Time needed: 5 minutes.

I will be buying that key with remote from eBay in the next 2 months and will follow up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher_B For This Useful Post:

Mark (02-22-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post

I will be buying that key with remote from eBay in the next 2 months and will follow up.
    I should have clarified the first set of instructions seems easy for anyone to make a remote to enter anyone's car. I hope the 2nd set of instructions does the trick. If I lost a factory key with the remote, I would surely try this, too.

I look forward to your update, & I appreciate you sharing all this information, too!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I stumbled on this gizmo and it promises to clone keys provided they operate in the 31x/41x mhz range. I'm going to drop the coin on it and see if it does the job. I also need to program my spare Vue remote so if it works on either the Mits or Saturn remotes it's still worth the small investment. https://thecota.com/product/4-in-1-r...7fnr5g4xpqcgoz

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-07-2023)