Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive way to get an extra key?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrugalDriver View Post
    ...I lost the $5 at eBay and $19 to the dealership for their time.
    That's not as bad as it could have been. My dealer won't tell you what time it is without charging $90 for an hour of labor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Just curious - Has anyone been successful programming a third extra key for a Mirage using these steps?
    Ironically, two-years later I can answer my own question with a "yes".

The blank key with chip cost $11.55 with tax (free shipping). My local ACE Hardware charges $2.29 to cut a double-sided key ($2.42 with tax). An extra chip coded key for $13.97 is not bad. If I lose one now, I will have two keys to make a new replacement.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143038778358

No tools were necessary to code a third key for my 2017 Mirage.

1. Turn your ignition on with the first key (for about 5 seconds), & then turn off and remove.

2. After removing the 1st key, turn on the ignition with your 2nd key. In less than 10 seconds, the immobilizer indicator (multi-information display) will start to blink. Now turn off & remove your 2nd key.

3. You have 30 seconds to insert your new blank key. Turn on the ignition with the new blank key, & it will be automatically programmed to the car. It took less than 5 seconds to program itself, & the new third key starts the car without issue!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Avgjohndoe (01-19-2021),Eggman (07-15-2020),poorman1 (11-12-2020),Top_Fuel (07-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Ironically, two-years later I can answer my own question with a "yes".

The blank key with chip cost $11.55 with tax (free shipping). My local ACE Hardware charges $2.29 to cut a double-sided key ($2.42 with tax). An extra chip coded key for $13.97 is not bad. If I lose one now, I will have two keys to make a new replacement.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143038778358

No tools were necessary to code a third key for my 2017 Mirage.

1. Turn your ignition on with the first key (for about 5 seconds), & then turn off and remove.

2. After removing the 1st key, turn on the ignition with your 2nd key. In less than 10 seconds, the immobilizer indicator (multi-information display) will start to blink. Now turn off & remove your 2nd key.

3. You have 30 seconds to insert your new blank key. Turn on the ignition with the new blank key, & it will be automatically programmed to the car. It took less than 5 seconds to program itself, & the new third key starts the car without issue!
    That's good stuff right there. Thanks for sharing your results.

Too bad TPMS isn't that simple.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    If I lose one now, I will have two keys to make a new replacement.
    Everyone who owns a Mirage with a key needs to pay attention to that statement.

ALWAYS have 3 keys...so when you lose one, you can still program a replacement yourself.

I remember Fords were the same way years ago. Programming an extra key was an easy DIY operation...as long as you had 2 other functioning keys.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I paid 4.22 for a cut all metal key last year, what a surprise Mark. Can you comment on how thick the top of that ebay key is?

If key 2 is cloned and I lose key 1 while I still have 2 chip keys am I not in the same predicament?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    I paid 4.22 for a cut all metal key last year, what a surprise Mark. Can you comment on how thick the top of that ebay key is?

If key 2 is cloned and I lose key 1 while I still have 2 chip keys am I not in the same predicament?
    The key is not your typical blank. It has the 3-diamond Mitsubishi logo on it. It actually looks sharp, but it also doesn't have the keyless unlock buttons.

I don't understand your question or the point you are trying to make?

My 2017 Mirage ES comes with two chipped/programmed keys.

It takes two chipped/programmed keys to program your own $10-15 key from eBay.

If I lost one of my two keys (2 - 1 = 1 key left) & didn't have the third, I cannot make a future replacement key for myself. I am stuck on relying on the dealership to help me (unless I want to live with one key).

Call a Mitsubishi dealer & ask them what it would cost to have a replacement key made for a Mirage ES?

Since I have 3 programmed keys now, if I lose one I still have two programmed keys to program a $10-15 replacement key myself. Having a third key gives me the insurance that I can always program a replacement key myself. A round trip to the nearest dealership would be 130 miles for me, & I can't stand the place. $15 is cheap insurance for being able to make an extra key yourself. It took me 30 seconds to program a key after reading the directions in my owner manual, & it didn't involve any scanning tool. Cheap & simple. I like that.

Personally, I wish all cars were this simple to do. Programming chipped keys this way would be perfect for our driver's education cars that are shared by multiple instructors. Each instructor could have their own chipped/programmed key without a huge cost involved.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-17-2020 at 11:40 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So you're actually making a unique key, not a clone, that's where I lost you. Got it now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    So you're actually making a unique key, not a clone, that's where I lost you. Got it now.
    In all honesty I have zero need for a third key, except for the fact it takes two keys programmed to your car to make a replacement key.

I sort of question why Canadian Mirages can't do this?

The owner's manual states "Customer key programming (Except for vehicles sold in Canada)".

I know not. I lost a key to one of our cars. Ours have a regular key with the keyless entry buttons built into the head. We only have one spare and it's not in great shape but still works. I'm gonna order a new key, get it cut and pull the key fob guts from key out of a wreck and attempt to program it to the car. Won't happen anytime soon but I should get on it sooner than later. Even though Mitsubishi made it nearly impossible to lock the keys inside these cars people still manage to pull it off now and then.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I’m a little bit confused with my situation. My car came with 1 non OEM key (no button) and a separate Karr keyfob (previous owner installed Karr alarm system). Do I need to duplicate both the key and keyfob, which sounds very expensive? If I duplicate only the key, and I lose the first key + fob, I can still open and operate the car with the duplicate, right? Just need to find a way to deactivate the alarm in that scenario....