Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HORRIBLE brake noise so I just changed my pads!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    OK, here is an update. I figured out where the noise was coming from by accident.

Anyway, I heard the noise again today. So I was parking and not quite completely stopped and pulled up on the parking brake. I heard the noise so knew it wasn't my front brakes. I doubt they were ever the issue with this sound. Anyway, I repeated pulling the parking brake while moving slowly and that is definitely where the sound is coming from. I cannot imagine the rear brakes being worn out. The front brakes I replaced really didn't look that bad. I do lots of gravel road driving and sometime the low water crossings around here are gravely and muddy. Do I need to remove the drums and spray the assembly with the pressure washer? This might remove grease from the brake hardware and wheel bearings. How about compressed air?

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will say that I am not upset for replacing the brakes. They seem to be a weak link on the 2015 models and braking is improved with the new pads. This is also an easy job and not much worse than changing the oil. That being said I think the original pads probably had 50% or so life left in them.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Could be that you have a rock or the like stuck in the rear brakes or something. That happened to my sister-in-law's late model Hyundai Elantra years ago.

I got 80k out of my rear brakes, so I seriously doubt it's the problem.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Not saying this is the answer...but maybe a possibility...

Some Chrysler PT Cruisers came with rear drum brakes. They would eventually make a noise that sounded like "metal on metal" grinding when applying the brakes. You would swear that the brake shoes were worn out. But when you took the drums off, the drums and shoes looked fine.

If you took a can of brake cleaner, washed away all of the brake dust, and reinstalled the drums...the noise disappeared.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    OK, here is an update. I figured out where the noise was coming from by accident.

Anyway, I heard the noise again today. So I was parking and not quite completely stopped and pulled up on the parking brake. I heard the noise so knew it wasn't my front brakes. I doubt they were ever the issue with this sound. Anyway, I repeated pulling the parking brake while moving slowly and that is definitely where the sound is coming from. I cannot imagine the rear brakes being worn out. The front brakes I replaced really didn't look that bad. I do lots of gravel road driving and sometime the low water crossings around here are gravely and muddy. Do I need to remove the drums and spray the assembly with the pressure washer? This might remove grease from the brake hardware and wheel bearings. How about compressed air?

Conor
    I wouldn't use a pressure washer, Might tear the boot for the wheel cylinder if not careful. Use air or brake cleaner. Then put some brake lube or grease on the backing plates at the rub points.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)