Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
Is it worth 6 or 7 hp if you're taking a significant hit in economy?
Yes, even if I took a "significant" hit in fuel economy, it's totally worth it to me. I bought the car to autocross because it's very lightweight. Great fuel economy is a side benefit, not a requirement.

But, it's not going to cause a reduction in fuel economy UNLESS it causes me to change my driving style. If I continue to semi-hypermile in my daily driving, I'll continue to get nearly the same MPG, and possibly better.

A properly designed header and exhaust IMPROVES the efficiency of the engine. Why doesn't the factory do it that way? Because they're working to a budget, they're making the exhaust as cheaply and simply as they can. Because they're watching the weight, they want the car to be as light as it can be. And because they have to meet certain emissions requirements, which is why the car has two catalytic convertors, and the first one is VERY close to the combustion chambers (which prevents proper exhaust manifold design) so that it "lights off" as early as possible on a cold start.

In short, I'm redesigning the exhaust to a different price point and to a different set of compromises.