Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possibly another cvt on the way out? Update: replaced under warranty

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Got the car back finally. They did put a new cvt in it after dicking around for a while.

They don't care about customer service at this dealership. We only use them cause they're close by. There are 2 other Mitsu dealers in town that are probably better to deal with. They can't be any worse.

You're correct. It looks like they just called the tech line did a few test's, sent in some pics of the oil pan then eventually decided they'll replace it under warranty. I need a job like that, very little thinking involved for those dealership mechanics, just follow a flow chart and call a help line.
    I work at Mitsubishi dealer. Fleet vehicles are not supposed to have a warranty. You do have a maintenance schedule trans service is part of it. Fleet is under severe service schedule. Most dealerships have no issue doing warranty jobs. Dealerships dont pay for the warranty work they get paid by Mitsubishi. The service department doesn't make the money for the dealership, selling cars does. The mechanics probably arent making $30-40 an hour probably more like $20 depending on location. When a warranty job over $1000 gets submitted we MUST get approval from tech-line and our district rep before repair, even if its a rod sticking out of the block and you know it needs an engine. This can take days and its a headache for the techs too. I personally have no issue doing any warranty job as long as the owner has done their maintenance, sometimes even if they haven't Mitsubishi will still cover it. They're fairly lenient.
    Please keep calm and appreciate your service department, they're not trying to take advantage of you. they're most likely the ones being taken advantage of.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wilbur For This Useful Post:

daleWV (07-11-2018),Eggman (07-11-2018),Loren (07-11-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also who's doing your cvt service? We do see cvt failures but they're mostly all outlander sports, and probably the most reliable cvt out of any make right now. Are you sure whoever is servicing your fleet is using mistubishi cvt fj-4 the fluid that should be getting put in the transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    I work at Mitsubishi dealer. Fleet vehicles are not supposed to have a warranty. You do have a maintenance schedule trans service is part of it. Fleet is under severe service schedule. Most dealerships have no issue doing warranty jobs. Dealerships dont pay for the warranty work they get paid by Mitsubishi. The service department doesn't make the money for the dealership, selling cars does. The mechanics probably arent making $30-40 an hour probably more like $20 depending on location. When a warranty job over $1000 gets submitted we MUST get approval from tech-line and our district rep before repair, even if its a rod sticking out of the block and you know it needs an engine. This can take days and its a headache for the techs too. I personally have no issue doing any warranty job as long as the owner has done their maintenance, sometimes even if they haven't Mitsubishi will still cover it. They're fairly lenient.
    Please keep calm and appreciate your service department, they're not trying to take advantage of you. they're most likely the ones being taken advantage of.
    Fleet vehicles aren't supposed to have warranty? Thanks for the heads up. If thats the case we'll be selling all our cars now that I know that.

I realize that Mitsubishi pays the dealership for warranty work. I have known that for many moons....

I'm in Canada? The Canadian dollar is worth less than the 'merican. So yeah, cost's of everything aren't going to be the same here as they are there. No Tech would work in this province for under $30/hr. (unless they owed a ton of pecker pension and were working under the table) Min wage here is going up to $15/hr in a few months.

The service department at our Mitsubishi Dealership leaves much to be desired. I dread dealing with them. They are are glorified secretaries. I had an issue with a new nissan and it was a totally different experience. It was a good one that was not frustrating at all.

For cvt service I just pour some old type F atf I found on the shelf in it. It works don't it?

The car was fixed over a month ago.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For cvt service I just pour some old type F atf I found on the shelf in it. It works don't it?
    I'm glad I know you're joking!

Do they even make Type F any more?

I worked at a Jiffy Lube in about 1985. We used to change ATF and everything was Dexron II or Type F. We recommended fluid and filter changes at 20k miles, and we saw what that old ATF looked and SMELLED like after 40-50k miles. I really have trouble adjusting to the modern trend of "magical" ATF that doesn't even have a specified factory change interval.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Yeah, you got me. The cvt fluid for these thing is pretty rank right out of the bottle. Plus it'll give you cancer if you live in California.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-29-2019),wilbur (07-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fleet vehicles aren't supposed to have warranty? Thanks for the heads up. If thats the case we'll be selling all our cars now that I know that.
    I don't think any manufacture covers fleet vehicles under warranty. Probably just cover it because your a buyer but if they wanted to be idiots I think they could refuse. I guess you could go back to chevy if you wanted an all around worse vehicle, I would still stick with Mitsubishi for reliability and cost. I'm really not sure whats up with your cvts maybe its the temperature. I've only seen 2 mirage cvt failures since they came out. At least you didn't get a bunch of versas..

fleet warranty?

FLEET SELECTION

Your choice of vehicles spans the subcompact, compact and SUV market segments. Better still, they’re backed by our best-in-class warranty.

That's from the Canadian site. Not sure about the U.S.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    ...I've only seen 2 mirage cvt failures since they came out.
    That's good to know. Replacing a CVT (out of warranty) would be a financial nightmare for most consumers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    That's good to know. Replacing a CVT (out of warranty) would be a financial nightmare for most consumers.
    How hard would it be to replace a CVT transmission on a Mirage with one from a salvage yard? I've changed out transmissions before. On the Mirage it doesn't look very hard but then again i haven't done one and hope i'll never have to. I seen them pretty cheap at local salvage yards.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaG4 View Post
    How hard would it be to replace a CVT transmission on a Mirage with one from a salvage yard?
    It's probably not that bad. But for the average person who isn't doing their own work, a CVT replacement can easily exceed the entire value of the car if you are relying on the dealer.

The good/bad news is that a Mirage is totaled if it hits almost anything...so salvage yards should be full of low-mile examples. I guess that's good for those of us who don't end up wrecking them.

Here's one just waiting for someone to grab and put on a shelf for future use...

Name:  trans.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  98.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-15-2018)