Thread: Mirage's 1.0 and 1.2, engine RPM and the fuel economy

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Mirage's 1.0 and 1.2, engine RPM and the fuel economy

I'm not sure if other Forum folks have the same thought.

When I drive down the freeway or highway in my Mirage, between say 85 and 110 km's an hour, in 4th gear in my Mirage, my RPM is fairly high say 3800-4000 PRM.. and gets say 5.5 fuel economy litre per 100 kms. In 5th gear, same speed, 3000 RPM or so, yet same 5.5 fuel economy. Higher revs don't seem to really matter, maybe after 500 miles of driving.. or not though.

Someone said on another thread would a 6th gear help the fuel economy of the Mirage? Sounds logical, makes sense, but maybe not. Maybe the revs don't for sure mean more gas thirsty motor.

Also the last edition EVO X Lancer has no 6 speeds manual, only 5, so maybe no use for fuel economy in that sports car.

The 1.0 L Mirage Space Star would presumably be revving quite a bit, yet doesn't the smaller motor get better fuel mileage than the 1.2?

My understanding too is generally the CVT drives at a lower RPM than us 5 speeders, so maybe RPM matters. Or more specifically COULD matter.

Last edited by dspace9; 04-28-2019 at 10:06 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I'm not sure if other Forum folks have the same thought.

When I drive down the freeway or highway in my Mirage, between say 85 and 110 km's an hour, in 4th gear in my Mirage, my RPM is fairly high say 3800-4000 PRM.. and gets say 5.5 fuel economy litre per 100 kms. In 5th gear, same speed, 3000 RPM or so, yet same 5.5 fuel economy. Higher revs don't seem to really matter, maybe after 500 miles of driving.. or not though.

Someone said on another thread would a 6th gear help the fuel economy of the Mirage? Sounds logical, makes sense, but maybe not. Maybe the revs don't for sure mean more gas thirsty motor.

Also the last edition EVO X Lancer has no 6 speeds manual, only 5, so maybe no use for fuel economy in that sports car.

The 1.0 L Mirage Space Star would presumably be revving quite a bit, yet doesn't the smaller motor get better fuel mileage than the 1.2?

My understanding too is generally the CVT drives at a lower RPM than us 5 speeders, so maybe RPM matters. Or more specifically COULD matter.
    I wonder if a slower speed might produce different results?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-28-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I wonder if a slower speed might produce different results?
    Same story at slower speeds.. my mileage might go up or down .1 on my Mirage's computer after going down the road for 5 minutes. I can cruise in 2nd pretty far before you have to have to shift to third, and you're not rev matching there lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've got an ultraguage in my '14 5-speed so I can more or less watch my economy in real time, and my fuel economy is very much worse at constant speed in 4th versus 5th. I'd have to redo my test to get the specifics, but it was somewhere in the area of four miles per gallon at highway speed

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kzelisko For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-29-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kzelisko View Post
    I've got an ultraguage in my '14 5-speed so I can more or less watch my economy in real time, and my fuel economy is very much worse at constant speed in 4th versus 5th. I'd have to redo my test to get the specifics, but it was somewhere in the area of four miles per gallon at highway speed
    I am not going to repeat everything I just shared in another thread, but I wouldn't mind lowering 4th gear & raising 5th gear. It would make 4th gear better for passing cars and climbing hills. 5th gear would be improved for freeway/highway driving. I would rather see the spacing of 4th and 5th gear spread out more rather than adding a 6-speed in the future.

I can live with how it is. I like rowing through the gears regardless!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-29-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    kzelisko - that's interesting, I have only noticed from casual glances a much smaller economy drop. Your testing sounds far more analytical than my glances at my trip computer's fuel gauge, which may not either be 100% accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by kzelisko View Post
    Mark: I'm agreement the pickup for passing around 4th gear speeds could be better, and it's probably gearing as they say. I find myself shifting into 3rd for the real oomph, and I recall the owners manual saying you drive the Mirage in 3rd over 100 kms an hour temporarily, short bursts.

That's a revvin' not sure I would but driving UP to 80 in 3rd maybe, dropping to 3rd from 4th would make a racket.