Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Possibly another cvt on the way out? Update: replaced under warranty

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    I don't think any manufacture covers fleet vehicles under warranty. Probably just cover it because your a buyer but if they wanted to be idiots I think they could refuse. I guess you could go back to chevy if you wanted an all around worse vehicle, I would still stick with Mitsubishi for reliability and cost. I'm really not sure whats up with your cvts maybe its the temperature. I've only seen 2 mirage cvt failures since they came out. At least you didn't get a bunch of versas..
    We have a bunch of Nissan commercial vans. They honor the warranty as well. If we follow the extreme maintenance schedule. I can't say I know of any manufacture that wouldn't cover warranty for fleet vehicles. Wonder why dealerships have fleet departments then? We must be special cause we even managed to get warranty repairs on a forklift!

With the 2 failures you've seen do you know what happened to them or did the just replace them and send back to Mitsubishi? 2 of mine had a thrust washer on the input shaft housing fail. Not sure about temurature, on died in summer I think and the other on a nice day in the winter. The third one just made a noise but still worked fine.

We only every had one Chev car that I've seen here, it was a pos 14 spark. Got rid of because it spent more time getting WARRANTY REPAIRS than it did being used on the road. The spark had the same jatco cvt as the Mirage, I wouldn't doubt if the versa does too.
    The other Gm's I work on lasted over 400k before the trans piled up(6l80e). Another has over 650k kms/400k miles on the original engine(4.8l). Still runs great.
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaG4 View Post
    How hard would it be to replace a CVT transmission on a Mirage with one from a salvage yard? I've changed out transmissions before. On the Mirage it doesn't look very hard but then again i haven't done one and hope i'll never have to. I seen them pretty cheap at local salvage yards.
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one. They are easy to replace, no different than any fwd automatic. Drain the pan, pull the axles,pull the starter, shifter cable, all the speed sensors, round wiring plug for the valvebody near the dipstick tube(they suck to disconnect), undo the torque converter bolts, drain the rad, disconnect the cvt cooler hoses, support the engine, undo the lower trans mount,bellhousing bolts, upper trans mount mount. I pulled the subframe as well, it isn't necessary to do that though but made it easier to get to some of the bolts and drop the trans straight down.

If you buy one from a wreck make sure the case isn't cracked before you pick it up or install it, or atleast get the yard to verify it isn't damaged especially at the rearmost part of the case. The lower dogbone mount bends like a straw in a front end collision and the trans will push into the rack and pinion cracking it.

Last edited by Fummins; 07-12-2018 at 06:57 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    With the 2 failures you've seen do you know what happened to them or did the just replace them and send back to Mitsubishi? 2 of mine had a thrust washer on the input shaft housing fail. Not sure about temurature, on died in summer I think and the other on a nice day in the winter. The third one just made a noise but still worked fine.
    Mistubishi doesnt want us inside them at all for some reason. Ive torn one down and the primary pulley was badly blued with codes in the tcm about primary pressure control I think it was around 60-70k miles no service history and the pickup was very restricted.
    If i have any mitsubishi come in with a whining noise from the cvt and no service history (even if there is a service history) we always try changing the filter/pickup under the oil pan and fresh cvtfj4 first as that actually fixes it about half the time.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wilbur For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-14-2018),MetroMPG (07-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Mistubishi doesnt want us inside them at all for some reason. Ive torn one down and the primary pulley was badly blued with codes in the tcm about primary pressure control I think it was around 60-70k miles no service history and the pickup was very restricted.
    If i have any mitsubishi come in with a whining noise from the cvt and no service history (even if there is a service history) we always try changing the filter/pickup under the oil pan and fresh cvtfj4 first as that actually fixes it about half the time.
    That's one way to get the customer back on the road and out the door and hope it doesn't completely crap out before warranty is up lol What were the filters plugged with Chunks o' metal or sludge?

The noise our last cvt made varied depending on output shaft speed. You could hear the cvt speed change as it shifted. The other 2 made no noise.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The noise is typically the pump getting air in it or creating a vacuum. The screen gets clogged from debris from normal wear and the cvt fluid breaking down. When the screen starts getting clogged we see the cvt getting warmer than normal and wearing out the oil quicker. This is by no means a way to just get the customer out the door, I haven't had one come back yet after this issue if they stayed on top of their cvt services after that. The way I see it they're lucky enough that their late preventative maintenance didn't cost them a transmission.
    It wasn't an attack when I asked about what fluid you used, I've seen a few failed cvts already with red fluid (atf) not specifically mirages.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wilbur For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-16-2018),Top_Fuel (07-14-2018)

I don't think the noise I heard was the oil pump, but anything's possible. The screen filter(wire mesh one in the oil pan) on the 2 I tore down had chunks oh input shaft bearing in them plugging them up. I considered just replacing the filter at first but it was screwed.

If I heard a pump sucking air I'd be concerned it's not being lubricated properly and it's life is being shortened. If caught early great but I know too many people who don't say something is wrong or making a noise til it quits moving all together or wait til it's -30...

All is good, I've had a customer accidentally put power steering fluid in his brake reservoir. That was a costly mistake. Had an apprentice do it to his own vehicle too. Never let him live that one down to this day
    Mirage videos:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

wilbur (07-18-2018)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Are you saying the Outlander Sport has the least reliable JATCO CVT out of the Eclipse, Outlander, and Mirage? Do you see less Mirages in the shop than the SUVs? Is the little CVT7 the least or most reliable that youve seen?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Are you saying the Outlander Sport has the least reliable JATCO CVT out of the Eclipse, Outlander, and Mirage? Do you see less Mirages in the shop than the SUVs? Is the little CVT7 the least or most reliable that youve seen?
    Are you directing your question to Fummins? Fummins maintains a fleet of delivery vehicles which includes the Mirage. I'm pretty sure he doesn't work on other Mitsubishi models.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I think he's asking Wilbur. He works at a mitsu dealer. I believe him cause he said he said mfgs don't usually offer warranty for fleet customers. He definitely works at a Mitsu dealer lol