Thread: Possibly another cvt on the way out? Update: replaced under warranty

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    I don't think any manufacture covers fleet vehicles under warranty. Probably just cover it because your a buyer but if they wanted to be idiots I think they could refuse. I guess you could go back to chevy if you wanted an all around worse vehicle, I would still stick with Mitsubishi for reliability and cost. I'm really not sure whats up with your cvts maybe its the temperature. I've only seen 2 mirage cvt failures since they came out. At least you didn't get a bunch of versas..
    We have a bunch of Nissan commercial vans. They honor the warranty as well. If we follow the extreme maintenance schedule. I can't say I know of any manufacture that wouldn't cover warranty for fleet vehicles. Wonder why dealerships have fleet departments then? We must be special cause we even managed to get warranty repairs on a forklift!

With the 2 failures you've seen do you know what happened to them or did the just replace them and send back to Mitsubishi? 2 of mine had a thrust washer on the input shaft housing fail. Not sure about temurature, on died in summer I think and the other on a nice day in the winter. The third one just made a noise but still worked fine.

We only every had one Chev car that I've seen here, it was a pos 14 spark. Got rid of because it spent more time getting WARRANTY REPAIRS than it did being used on the road. The spark had the same jatco cvt as the Mirage, I wouldn't doubt if the versa does too.
    The other Gm's I work on lasted over 400k before the trans piled up(6l80e). Another has over 650k kms/400k miles on the original engine(4.8l). Still runs great.
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaG4 View Post
    How hard would it be to replace a CVT transmission on a Mirage with one from a salvage yard? I've changed out transmissions before. On the Mirage it doesn't look very hard but then again i haven't done one and hope i'll never have to. I seen them pretty cheap at local salvage yards.
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one. They are easy to replace, no different than any fwd automatic. Drain the pan, pull the axles,pull the starter, shifter cable, all the speed sensors, round wiring plug for the valvebody near the dipstick tube(they suck to disconnect), undo the torque converter bolts, drain the rad, disconnect the cvt cooler hoses, support the engine, undo the lower trans mount,bellhousing bolts, upper trans mount mount. I pulled the subframe as well, it isn't necessary to do that though but made it easier to get to some of the bolts and drop the trans straight down.

If you buy one from a wreck make sure the case isn't cracked before you pick it up or install it, or atleast get the yard to verify it isn't damaged especially at the rearmost part of the case. The lower dogbone mount bends like a straw in a front end collision and the trans will push into the rack and pinion cracking it.
    Last edited by Fummins; 07-12-2018 at 06:57 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-12-2018)