Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possibly another cvt on the way out? Update: replaced under warranty

Possibly another cvt on the way out? Update: replaced under warranty

I just took a car for a test drive after a new driver got put into it. Said it made a whinning noise and got pretty loud in o/d... Sure enough it sounds like the cvt screaming away. I checked the fluid when I got back and it looked black on the stick. Car is a 15' with 89k kms. It's going to the dealership this morning. I'll post back what happens. I kinda wanna see if it's the thrust washer craping out but it gets louder when the secondary gear kicks in.

I expect the car to sit there for at least a day before they look at it. Then say the cvt is screwed cause the fluid is toast. We haven't had to do any warranty claims other than a wheel bearing. Hope this isn't a hastle. Cvt fluid was replaced a month ago.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-15-2018),MetroMPG (05-15-2018),strawboss (05-16-2018),Top_Fuel (05-15-2018)

Thanks for the alert.

Subscribed for updates.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Update. Car hasn't moved from where I parked it.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I finally got a response from the service guy...
    Apparently the dealer acknowledges there is a noise coming from the transmission. BUT because it's a fleet vehicle they have to get approval from "head office". And they'll likely want our service records for the car too. They'll let us know in a few days what they decide to do so now we are down one car.
    When we bought these things we were told we have the same warranty as everyone else even though they are fleet vehicles. From what I recall, Mitsubishi does not even mention replacing cvt fluid in the owners manual. I see a fight on our hands.
    Mirage videos:

When we bought these things we were told we have the same warranty as everyone else
    Who did the buying? Verbal or written? (I'm guessing verbal.)

If you bought these all through the same dealer, you'd think they'd be eager to keep you guys happy, not to piss you off.

Make sure you let them know you're not happy with that response. Squeaky CVT gets the grease!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Someone other than myself did the buying. I don't know all the details but I assume there isn't anything saying a company vehicle has no warranty. I think it's just a case of a dingus service department (Glorified secretary's/administrative assistant)not realizing we bought a lot of cars over the last few years from this one place. I'm not sure if the secretary can tell where the vehicles were purchased? I would think they'd have the ability to see that, though every time I go there they have a hard time finding us in their system.....I imagine the manager will be involved shortly.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ...And they'll likely want our service records for the car too.
    ...From what I recall, Mitsubishi does not even mention replacing cvt fluid in the owners manual.
    It's not very clear...is it?

The service manual just says this...

Name:  fluid.jpg
Views: 1820
Size:  26.2 KB

If you search the web for 2015 mitsubishi warranty and maintenance manual you will find the maintenance schedules. I have no idea if this is only for certain markets. Here's a page from it. Schedule 1 is for severe-duty "harsh" conditions...

Name:  schedule1.jpg
Views: 1933
Size:  97.4 KB

I don't see anything mentioning CVTs. I assume they are grouping them with traditional automatic transmissions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Yes it is very vague. But if you look at the regular service (which seems to cover every Mitsubishi model apparently) there is zero mention of changing the transmission fluid. It says in my manual that different models may require different intervals but it doesn't specify what that means.
    I'm still hoping this isn't going to be a problem. Otherwise I see us going with a spark I'd really like to see if it's the same failure as the first 2 we've had which had much higher mileage. This car still drives fine but makes a noise when you're on the throttle and gets very loud above 60kph/40mph. The other 2 were pretty hooped and had to be towed.
    Mirage videos:

Still no update from our dealership. The general manager of the stealership was looking into it a few days ago.....I'm guessing they're trying to weasel out covering it under warranty.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-18-2018 at 07:52 PM. Reason: best not post that publicly
    Mirage videos:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (05-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Still no update from our dealership. The general manager of the stealership was looking into it a few days ago.....I'm guessing they're trying to weasel out covering it under warranty.
    I would be shocked it they dont cover it under warranty. You are a fleet buyer buying multiple cars. They should be shining your shoes when you walk in the door.

If you get a "No" make sure you ask to speak to the owner of the dealership. It would be foolish of them to deny the repair and lose a lifetime worth of business.

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)