Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Plastic Car :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Cheap Plastic Car
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Silver
    Manual

Rostra Cruise Control Kit - Part # 250-9633

•  
    Details

175/65-14 82T Falken Sincera SN250 AS All-Season (80k mile warranty - Replaced at 78k miles)

175/65-14 Hankook Optimo H724 (70k mile warranty - Currently in use)

•  
    Comments: 534 / Views: 3318356
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    233,333 miles Replaced battery in key/remote.
    So I open your thread thinking Steve must finally have some big repair to report on his high mileage Mirage. Thus, I am thinking something like your clutch has finally gave out. Instead, I find you replacing the battery in your remote.

These 5 speed manual cars are so dependable. It almost makes them boring!

I hope that I didn't jinx you by saying all this!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How often do you do the Techron treatments?

Once every tire rotation, roughly every 7,500 miles.
    I saw that Dollar Tree sells their own generic house brand of Techron now for $1.

https://www.dollartree.com/smb-perfo...er-11oz/131970

I just used 2 oz of it in my motorcycle and the rest of the bottle I used in the Mirage. So far so good...... I see the reviews are very favorable for this product.

Im going to use it every oil change but I wonder if its as good as brand name Techron.

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    How often do you do the Techron treatments?

I saw that Dollar Tree sells their own generic house brand of Techron now for $1.

https://www.dollartree.com/smb-perfo...er-11oz/131970

I just used 2 oz of it in my motorcycle and the rest of the bottle I used in the Mirage. So far so good...... I see the reviews are very favorable for this product.

Im going to use it every oil change but I wonder if its as good as brand name Techron.
    fc321 are you looking for a fuel system cleaner? It looks like that's an octane booster and I wouldn't expect it to perform as a fuel system cleaner.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-27-2019),Pryme (01-27-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    fc321 are you looking for a fuel system cleaner? It looks like that's an octane booster and I wouldn't expect it to perform as a fuel system cleaner.
    He probably meant?
    https://www.dollartree.com/smb-super...nt-11oz/131968
    Or
    https://www.dollartree.com/smb-fuel-...er-11oz/131972
    (blank signature)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-27-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Techron contains PEA. That is the magic that does the cleaning. There are plenty of other companies that sell PEA as well. As long as your generic stuff has the same concentration of PEA as Techron, it will work just as good.

Its $5 for a concentrated Techron treatment at Walmart and it isn't something I use every day. At that price, I'm not going to go nuts trying to find a cheaper alternative. Techron is trusted by plenty of automotive manufacturers so thats good enough for me.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-27-2019),fc321 (01-27-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, darn.

You guys are correct, I bought the wrong product in my haste. And i already poured it into the Mirage and also the Motorcycle.

** Face palms myself **

Which of these 2 is the one I should have bought? The red bottle or the black?

Or
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Oh, darn.

You guys are correct, I bought the wrong product in my haste. And i already poured it into the Mirage and also the Motorcycle.

** Face palms myself **
    Oh, don't beat yourself up. But read more about this SMB octane booster. I found some info online that discusses the additives it uses, and how it could cause problems with a fuel system. Long term use could cause other problems.

Which of these 2 is the one I should have bought? The red bottle or the black?

Or
    What problem are you trying to address? Does your Mirage have any symptoms?

It is my understanding that fuel system additives are not usually necessary and can cause other problems. Better to buy a quality formulated fuel for your car instead of buying the cheapest gas out there.

If you have symptoms of a dirty or clogged fuel delivery system, your money might be better spent on the Techron or Techron Plus fuel system additive as endorsed earlier somewhere here on the forum (Top_Fuel, I think...) and follow the instructions.

For further reading, here's a post I found with some interesting details.
    Last edited by Eggman; 01-27-2019 at 10:42 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    With all the detergents in modern gasoline I really doubt anyone needs these cleaners
    They are money in a bottle and make the manufacturer money.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    With all the detergents in modern gasoline I really doubt anyone needs these cleaners
    They are money in a bottle and make the manufacturer money.
    My comments are based on facts, not assumptions.

Around 200k miles I started to notice a loss of power. I first assumed it was a slipping clutch. Then I realized my car was idling rough so I changed my mind and decided to blame the fuel pump. I ordered a fuel pump and before changing it, I made a decision to try a Techron treatment. After the first treatment I noticed a major improvement. After the second treatment the car no longer had any idling problems whatsoever and power was completely restored. Something was dirty in my fuel system and the Techron cleaned it.

I now do my best to purchase Top Tier fuel whenever possible and I do a Techron treatment every time the tires are rotated. It is all documented in this thread.

$10 worth of Techron saved me the hassle of replacing a fuel pump that probably wouldn’t have even fixed my problem. I suspect my problem was due to dirty fuel injectors but of course I can’t confirm that. What I can confirm is my car was running like crap and two bottles of Techron completely fixed it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (01-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My comments are based on facts, not assumptions.

Around 200k miles I started to notice a loss of power. I first assumed it was a slipping clutch. Then I realized my car was idling rough so I changed my mind and decided to blame the fuel pump. I ordered a fuel pump and before changing it, I made a decision to try a Techron treatment. After the first treatment I noticed a major improvement. After the second treatment the car no longer had any idling problems whatsoever and power was completely restored. Something was dirty in my fuel system and the Techron cleaned it.

I now do my best to purchase Top Tier fuel whenever possible and I do a Techron treatment every time the tires are rotated. It is all documented in this thread.

$10 worth of Techron saved me the hassle of replacing a fuel pump that probably wouldn’t have even fixed my problem. I suspect my problem was due to dirty fuel injectors but of course I can’t confirm that. What I can confirm is my car was running like crap and two bottles of Techron completely fixed it.
    Have you done plugs twice now?