Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 276

Thread: Cheap Plastic Car :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

  1. General Information
    Cheap Plastic Car
    2014
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Silver
    Manual

    Rostra Cruise Control Kit - Part # 250-9633

    •  
    Details

    175/65-14 82T Falken Sincera SN250 AS All-Season (80k mile warranty - Replaced at 78k miles)

    175/65-14 Hankook Optimo H724 (70k mile warranty - Currently in use)

    •  
    Comments: 275 / Views: 30805
  1. #261
    Senior Member stevedmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    569
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 159 Times in 118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cretbo View Post
    Hey Steve, I own a 2014 CVT Mirage with 83K on it ... going strong!

    But I also own a 2000 VW Beetle with 266K miles on it. If I was to compare your maintenance with the 2000 beetle with comparable mileage, not even close.... Every thing that could be wrong with the beetle happened except Transmission is still strong.
    1. all wheel bearings multiple times
    2. Timing belt kit with water pump.
    3. Electrical dash fried and repaired.
    4. Cracked Head 198K
    5. Alternator
    6. Multiple front end stuff
    7. much much more lights(aweful to change) Electric door windows

    Car was given too us with 168K on it back in 2013 as Dad bought it for mom in 1999 and passed from ALS in early 2014 so gave car to us so was easier to fix stuff. The Bug might be close to done now as small leak of Anti freeze behind the timing belt cover .... possible waterpump(ceramic seal) so might actually reseal ... we shall see or another cracked head .... if it continues to leak ... might do a last ditch hope... can of "JUSTICE BROTHERS" we shall see ... thanks for the thread

    Bob
    Never ever buy a car that has a timing belt! That should always be the first criteria other than a manual transmission when shopping for a vehicle.

    I chose the Mirage because of those reasons and the fact that it is the only car for sale in the USA with a three cylinder engine. I would have much rather owned a Ford but the three cylinder Fiesta is not available in the USA.

    Edit: Looks like I was wrong. Ford seems to have introduced the three cylinder car into the USA after I purchased my Mirage and then abruptly discontinued it.


    Last edited by stevedmc; 08-10-2019 at 04:06 PM.

  2. #262
    Senior Member stevedmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    569
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 159 Times in 118 Posts
    A quick search just came up with the perfect Ford for me, with a three cylinder engine! Well, I say perfect but I honestly don’t like all the bells and whistles it has.

    https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3963/overview/

    Much better value than the Mirage though and a lot more car! Unfortunately after doing a little research I realized the Ford 1.0 EcoBoost has a timing belt. So much for that. I guess I’m destined to stay in my cheap plastic Mirage.

  3. #263
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,451
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Never ever buy a car that has a timing belt! That should always be the first criteria other than a manual transmission when shopping for a vehicle.

    I chose the Mirage because of those reasons and the fact that it is the only car for sale in the USA with a three cylinder engine. I would have much rather owned a Ford but the three cylinder Fiesta is not available in the USA.

    Edit: Looks like I was wrong. Ford seems to have introduced the three cylinder car into the USA after I purchased my Mirage and then abruptly discontinued it.
    Looks like Ford used a 1.0L 3 cylinder turbo engines in their Fiesta and Focus (years vary). A 1.0L 3 cylinder turbo is presently in their base level Ecosport model FWD model.

  4. #264
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,451
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    A quick search just came up with the perfect Ford for me, with a three cylinder engine! Well, I say perfect but I honestly don’t like all the bells and whistles it has.

    https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3963/overview/

    Much better value than the Mirage though and a lot more car! Unfortunately after doing a little research I realized the Ford 1.0 EcoBoost has a timing belt. So much for that. I guess I’m destined to stay in my cheap plastic Mirage.
    I am not impressed by the 2016 Focus vehicles we have for our driving school. My money would go elsewhere regardless of the price or deal. Then again, the Focus is already off Ford's website. Soon the other cars will follow, except Mustang.

  5. #265
    Senior Member stevedmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    569
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 159 Times in 118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I am not impressed by the 2016 Focus vehicles we have for our driving school. My money would go elsewhere regardless of the price or deal. Then again, the Focus is already off Ford's website. Soon the other cars will follow, except Mustang.
    Im not impressed by anything that has a timing belt. That engine bay looks way to complicated as well.

    The size of the car is tempting, even though it has all those fancy extras but given the thing has a timing belt, I would
    Never consider owning one unless that were to change.

  6. #266
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Country is Europe, state is Germany
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    641
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked 448 Times in 245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    A quick search just came up with the perfect Ford for me, with a three cylinder engine! Well, I say perfect but I honestly don’t like all the bells and whistles it has.
    Much better value than the Mirage though and a lot more car! Unfortunately after doing a little research I realized the Ford 1.0 EcoBoost has a timing belt. So much for that. I guess I’m destined to stay in my cheap plastic Mirage.

    You may want to look closer at the Ford, then you will probably love the Mirage endlessly, and know why!

    The Ford does have a timing belt, normally no problem if maintenance is half-way kept up. But what if the timing belt went through the oil so you strictly need special engine oil so it doesn't disolve or disintegrate and kill the engine in the process? What if that 3 cylinder engine had direct fuel injection with all notorious problems and terrifying after-garantee repair costs waiting for the sorry owner?

    Take your time to look a bit closer, and you may love the Mirage even more than you could imagine today!
    Last edited by foama; 08-11-2019 at 05:52 PM.

  7. #267
    Senior Member stevedmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    569
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 159 Times in 118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    You may want to look closer at the Ford, then you will probably love the Mirage endlessly, and know why!

    The Ford does have a timing belt, normally no problem if maintenance is half-way kept up. But what if the timing belt went through the oil so you strictly need special engine oil so it doesn't disolve or disintegrate and kill the engine in the process? What if that 3 cylinder engine had direct fuel injection with all notorious problems and terrifying after-garantee repair costs waiting for the sorry owner?

    Take your time to look a bit closer, and you may love the Mirage even more than you could imagine today!
    How many times have I mentioned the timing belt? Its like no one is even reading more than a few words of each post I make.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

    Fummins (08-12-2019)

  9. #268
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,451
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    You may want to look closer at the Ford, then you will probably love the Mirage endlessly, and know why!

    The Ford does have a timing belt, normally no problem if maintenance is half-way kept up. But what if the timing belt went through the oil so you strictly need special engine oil so it doesn't disolve or disintegrate and kill the engine in the process? What if that 3 cylinder engine had direct fuel injection with all notorious problems and terrifying after-garantee repair costs waiting for the sorry owner?

    Take your time to look a bit closer, and you may love the Mirage even more than you could imagine today!
    In a year or two, a closer look won't be necessary. Ford cars will be history, except for the Mustang. I feel Ford is being a bit short sighted, & they are gambling on somewhat stable gas prices. I am not even sure the Focus Active is even coming here now?

    The simplicity of the Mirage's powertrain (especially the manual) is its greatest strength. If you do proper maintenance, the Mirage is very reliable. Steve's Mirage is a prime example of that!

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

    foama (08-14-2019)

  11. #269
    Senior Member stevedmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    569
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 159 Times in 118 Posts
    262,242 miles TPMS issue is now resolved.

    I dropped by Discount Tire this morning in Prairieville, Louisiana and was greeted by a nice guy named Rob.

    Rob assigned one of his techs to me that said my cable would not be necessary. He tried starting the car with his programmer installed and the car would not start. I suggested we try my Mitsubishi adapter cable and the car still would not start. We then unplugged his Bartec 400 and my car started up. He plugged the cable back in and the car died. The tech tried programming my car with the key in the ON position using my cable and was not successful. He gave up and asked Rob to take over.

    Rob took good care of me. He looked something up on a computer, hooked up his Bartec 400 programmer to my cable and put the car in learn mode with the key in the ON position without the engine running. Then Rob took a second Bartec 400 and walked around the car using the second Bartec 400 to trigger each sensor. I stood next to the tool plugged into the ODBII port and watched it learn each sensor.

    Rob verified the TPMS sensor was no longer lit and asked me where I got the Mitsubishi adapter cable. I told him it came from Advance Auto parts and he suggested I return it as he believe the cable was not necessary for the reprogram.

    According to Rob, as long as you are using a newer Bartec tool and have two (one for relearn and one to trigger the sensors) then the adapter cable is not necessary.

    Rob didn't charge me anything for the TPMS release. I thanked Rob for his assistance, kept the Mitsubishi cable and gave him a $20 tip.

    So now everything is fine and dandy. Now I am debating whether or not I want to keep the cable (I believe it is necessary). If I keep the cable, I know I can get TPMS programmed at Discount Tire next time I get a new set of sensors.

    If I return the cable (or sell it on here) then I am faced with having to spend money on a cloning tool. Choices choices.

    I'll say this though. I feel like I am driving a new car now that I don't have that warning light on the console. I've been staring at that stupid TPMS light for at least 160k miles until today. I am a happy camper. I just need to figure out how I want to prepare for the next time I need my sensors replaced.

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

    Eggman (08-14-2019),inuvik (08-14-2019),MetroMPG (08-14-2019),Top_Fuel (08-14-2019)

  13. #270
    Administrator MetroMPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    7,490
    Thanks
    2,937
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,343 Posts
    160k miles! Glad to hear you finally got it sorted out.


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage base ES 1.2 manual: 54.0 mpg (US) ... 23.0 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.9 mpg (Imp)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •