Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Plastic Car :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Cheap Plastic Car
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Silver
    Manual

Rostra Cruise Control Kit - Part # 250-9633

•  
    Details

175/65-14 82T Falken Sincera SN250 AS All-Season (80k mile warranty - Replaced at 78k miles)

175/65-14 Hankook Optimo H724 (70k mile warranty - Currently in use)

•  
    Comments: 534 / Views: 3315311
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    May 17, 2018

200k miles - Preventive Maintenance

Replaced brake pads
    Replaced brake rotors
    Replaced spark plugs
    Replaced air filter
    Replaced cabin air filter
    Flushed/replaced coolant
    Flushed/replaced manual transmission gear oil

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Hello Cheap Plastic Car and welcome to the Garage. That's quite some service history.

Thanks stevedmc for the info.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    201k miles

I did a Seafoam treatment on the car. I poured 3 oz of the stuff into the engine and put the rest in the gas tank over the course of two fillups. I didn't notice any dark colored smoke coming from the exhaust, so I probably didn't need it. Just to be on the safe side, I plan to do a Seafoam treatment every 100k miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    July 7, 2018

206k miles - For the last few months I have been convinced my clutch was starting to go out. Every few days I would feel a loss of power while accelerating. Last week I noticed the rpm drop while idling, which is not indicative of a bad clutch. Loss of power, while not driving is either an ignition problem or fuel issue. I replaced spark plugs at 200k miles, so I wasn't too worried about ignition. I went ahead an ordered a used fuel pump on eBay for $40. While waiting for the fuel pump to arrive, I started thinking, maybe I just had a dirty fuel system. Stuff like a dirty fuel filter or injectors could cause a loss of power. Last week I switch from Racetrack/Walmart gas to Shell since it has extra detergents. I also did a treatment of Techron. Almost instantly my problem was gone. I'm planning to keep running Shell gas and to do another treatment of Techron on Monday. I will keep this thread updated as time goes on.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (07-09-2018),Daox (07-07-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    July 7, 2018

206k miles - For the last few months I have been convinced my clutch was starting to go out. Every few days I would feel a loss of power while accelerating. Last week I noticed the rpm drop while idling, which is not indicative of a bad clutch. Loss of power, while not driving is either an ignition problem or fuel issue. I replaced spark plugs at 200k miles, so I wasn't too worried about ignition. I went ahead an ordered a used fuel pump on eBay for $40. While waiting for the fuel pump to arrive, I started thinking, maybe I just had a dirty fuel system. Stuff like a dirty fuel filter or injectors could cause a loss of power. Last week I switch from Racetrack/Walmart gas to Shell since it has extra detergents. I also did a treatment of Techron. Almost instantly my problem was gone. I'm planning to keep running Shell gas and to do another treatment of Techron on Monday. I will keep this thread updated as time goes on.
    Definitely sounds like a restricted injector problem. Glad it worked out to be something simple and as a bonus you’ll have a spare fuel pump if and when you ever need it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've got a spare clutch kit too.

I figure it's cheaper to have one on hand than to get stuck paying an extra $100 in shipping charges to overnight one. None of my local dealers stock clutch components.

I got the eBay clutch kit for a little over $100.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...I also did a treatment of Techron.
    My automotive schooling was heavily based towards GM products. Our instructors would go to seminars at GM and then come back and tell us about it. One of the things I remember was that GM engineers were sold on the effectiveness of Techron as a fuel pump/fuel system cleaner and it was the only time I ever heard endorsement any kind of additive.

Keep in mind that there's a Techron product that costs about $10 a bottle...and that's the one you want. I've seen lower cost variations using the Techron name...but those bottles only cost $1-$2 each and are not what you want to use.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, that's a lot of driving, @stevedmc. I have a 2015 Mirage which I bought new and it just hit 14K miles recently. I go about 4 weeks on a tank of gas. At this rate, barring an accident, the Mirage will out last me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    My automotive schooling was heavily based towards GM products. Our instructors would go to seminars at GM and then come back and tell us about it. One of the things I remember was that GM engineers were sold on the effectiveness of Techron as a fuel pump/fuel system cleaner and it was the only time I ever heard endorsement any kind of additive.

Keep in mind that there's a Techron product that costs about $10 a bottle...and that's the one you want. I've seen lower cost variations using the Techron name...but those bottles only cost $1-$2 each and are not what you want to use.
    This is the one I am using:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-T...10-oz/16647989

It was the only Techron option they had at my walmart. It cost about $5 for 10 oz. From what I can tell, the $10 version is 20 oz, so maybe I have the same thing, just a smaller quantity.

The good news is, what I have seems to have worked. I plan to do another treatment tomorrow just to be safe, and at $5 a pop, I might as well do a treatment every time I get my tires rotated.

I know, I know, I should be doing my own tire rotations, but there is a really good Walmart on my daily route that is super fast at tire rotations and it is free. Usually I am in and out of their tire center in about 20 minutes for tire rotations. I just go in the store, do a little shopping, sometimes get lunch at Subway, and by the time I am done, my car is done. I never go to Walmart for tire rotations after 5 pm. I make it a point to not drop by unless I can be there before 3 pm. They tend to get busier as it is closer to 5 pm.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    July 7, 2018

206k miles - For the last few months I have been convinced my clutch was starting to go out.
    Are you still on your original clutch?? I assume this car is a dedicated freeway commuter, then?