Page 32 of 54 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Plastic Car :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Cheap Plastic Car
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Silver
    Manual

Rostra Cruise Control Kit - Part # 250-9633

•  
    Details

175/65-14 82T Falken Sincera SN250 AS All-Season (80k mile warranty - Replaced at 78k miles)

175/65-14 Hankook Optimo H724 (70k mile warranty - Currently in use)

•  
    Comments: 534 / Views: 3315259
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    All sorts of claims are made with synthetic oil, but I would stay with the maintenance schedule even beyond the warranty period.

Your Mirage has had a good life on 5W-30 conventional. Hopefully, that won't change. I wouldn't drive 7,000 miles without checking things (oil level).

What type of hit to mpg did you take on 5w-30? And I'm guessing 5w-30 works in the south, but probably slows down cold cranking in northern regions? Anyone try this viscosity north of Tennesee? Sorry in advance if this spurs another viscosity debate; not my intention.

First 6th gen Mirage IN THE WORLD* past 450,000 kilometers!

(* see earlier disclaimers)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    First 6th gen Mirage IN THE WORLD* past 450,000 kilometers!

(* see earlier disclaimers)
    I don't know what you are talking about. I've only drive on roads that have miles, not kilometers.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I don't know what you are talking about. I've only drive on roads that have miles, not kilometers.
    I don't follow the early disclaimers part, but 280,000 miles equals approximately 450,616 km.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Are dual-unit tires an option on USA Mirages? I know this are cheap cars, but hey! My Space Star with stock tires had no problems to mix kilometers and miles, even on the same trip. Only nautical miles are a problem. Need some attachment then, called a 'Ferry', which is not included.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-14-2019),MetroMPG (12-14-2019)

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    281,820 miles Changed the oil

For the past month, I have made two visits to the local Buick dealership to have my oil changed. Each time I was told there was something like a four hour wait. Going forward I am doing my own oil changes.

Today I did an oil change using Supertech Conventional 5W30 and a Supertech filter. I had planned to use an AC Delco filter, but the pack of filters I ordered have not yet arrived. In the future I will use Supertech Conventional 5W30 and AC Delco filters.

I also installed one of those fancy smancy Fumoto F106N Oil drain valves.

Upon completing my oil change, I measured the old oil and found I was about a quart low. Thankfully I am doing my own oil changes now so I will be able to keep track of it a lot more accurately than simply checking my dip stick.

Incidentally, I don't understand how someone could complain that changing the oil on these cars is complicated. The drain plug was easy to access and so was the oil filter when removing it from above. I purchased an oil filter wrench before doing the job and the filter came out with ease. To my surprise, the Mitsubishi even had a channel below the filter that directed the oil away from the engine and into my waste oil pan. I've never had a car with something like that and honestly, I'm very impressed.

The whole oil changing deal took me about 20 minutes. Way faster and more convenient than waiting at the dealership.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (06-27-2020),MetroMPG (12-26-2019)

RIP: free oil change gravy train.

It was a good run, though. How much money do you figure you saved?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    RIP: free oil change gravy train.

It was a good run, though. How much money do you figure you saved?
    I estimate it is costing me something like $13 an oil change to do it myself.

56 oil changes at $13 each comes out to $728. I could still get free oil changes but I would either have to schedule an appointment for oil changes or sit in line waiting. Its much more convenient to just do it myself.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    281,820 miles Upon completing my oil change, I measured the old oil and found I was about a quart low. Thankfully I am doing my own oil changes now so I will be able to keep track of it a lot more accurately than simply checking my dip stick.
    A quart low in a Mirage is about 1/3 of its engine oil capacity. A quart low would have surely revealed itself on your dipstick.

The Mirage is easy to work on, and changing engine oil/filter is no different. That's for sure!

I assume you are going to stick with 5,000 mile oil change intervals, too?