Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Plastic Car :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Cheap Plastic Car
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Silver
    Manual

Rostra Cruise Control Kit - Part # 250-9633

•  
    Details

175/65-14 82T Falken Sincera SN250 AS All-Season (80k mile warranty - Replaced at 78k miles)

175/65-14 Hankook Optimo H724 (70k mile warranty - Currently in use)

•  
    Comments: 534 / Views: 3315325
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Finally dropped it off at a the mechanic last week. Just received a phone call that the car has an internal transmission problem. It’s been a nice three years, but I suppose it’s time to move one.
    It's really disappointing to hear that the transmission went out before the clutch. If that is truly the case, I have just become less impressed with this little car.

Do you trust this mechanic?

Sounds like you are receiving a very vague answer to your problem. How do they know it's an internal transmission problem?

Maybe they have explained that to you? I would consider a second opinion if my mechanic is not a transmission guy.

Sounds like you are done with your Mirage, regardless. I would love to see a forum member purchase your car & keep it running. Don't you have a clutch kit to go with the car, too?

I hope someone on the forum buys it, but it won't be me. Hope you enjoy your new car Steve!

Last edited by Mark; 09-03-2020 at 06:01 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    $1000? Hmm... Tell you what, if you don't fix it up in the next month or two and still want it gone we'll talk. I have like... 6 cars I need to get fixed and sold so I need to get crackin on those.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Three hundred thousand miles is a LOT of miles. That is like driving around the Earth twelve times. Even a fairly robust manual transmission will start to wear out at that kind of mileage.

Truth be told, the transmission didn't really 'fail'. It just became difficult to downshift. Sounds like the 1-2 synchros are worn out?

My dad bought a 1987 Mazda B2000 pickup with a 5-speed brand new in the fall of 1986. The transmission failed at about 285k sometime in the late 1990s. It made all sorts of horrible grinding noises and the truck would not move at all.

THAT is a "transmission failure". CPC needs a transmission repair.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Three hundred thousand miles is a LOT of miles. That is like driving around the Earth twelve times. Even a fairly robust manual transmission will start to wear out at that kind of mileage.

Truth be told, the transmission didn't really 'fail'. It just became difficult to downshift. Sounds like the 1-2 synchros are worn out?

My dad bought a 1987 Mazda B2000 pickup with a 5-speed brand new in the fall of 1986. The transmission failed at about 285k sometime in the late 1990s. It made all sorts of horrible grinding noises and the truck would not move at all.

THAT is a "transmission failure". CPC needs a transmission repair.
    I don't think we know the real verdict of Steve's manual transmission. I don't think 300,000 miles on a manual transmission is a lot. I can see replacing the clutch, but I am not going to boast about the reliability of these cars if the manual transmissions go before the first clutch is replaced.

A delivery guy using a 2007 RWD Nissan Frontier replaced his first clutch at 801,000 miles. His truck has gone over 1 million miles & there's no mention of having transmission issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAi9o8SXjNg&t=136s

He was near 1,000,000 miles when this clip was made. He has reached over 1,000,000 miles now, & Nissan gave him a new truck for free.

I wouldn't expect a manual transmission to go out before the first clutch or even the engine for that matter. If his car is done at 300,000 miles because of the transmission, I am disappointed. If it's a simple transmission fix, that's different. I wouldn't boast about a manual transmission making 300,000 miles before needing to be replaced. I wouldn't slam it either, however.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I'm impressed with any econobox that nets 300k miles, that's awesome. These engines truly are tough little *******s.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Finally dropped it off at a the mechanic last week. Just received a phone call that the car has an internal transmission problem. It’s been a nice three years, but I suppose it’s time to move one.

That being said, I bought a Porsche 944 two weeks ago. It’s a shame I can’t drive it for work. Attachment 19158

Attachment 19159Attachment 19159
    Congrats on your new 944. I've always been a big fan of the car. And sorry about your Mirage. You had the record for miles driven stevedmc. Cheers, hope you have fun in your Porsche.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I'm impressed with any econobox that nets 300k miles, that's awesome. These engines truly are tough little *******s.
    Same here Dirk.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't think we know the real verdict of Steve's manual transmission. I don't think 300,000 miles on a manual transmission is a lot. I can see replacing the clutch, but I am not going to boast about the reliability of these cars if the manual transmissions go before the first clutch is replaced.

A delivery guy using a 2007 RWD Nissan Frontier replaced his first clutch at 801,000 miles. His truck has gone over 1 million miles & there's no mention of having transmission issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAi9o8SXjNg&t=136s

He was near 1,000,000 miles when this clip was made. He has reached over 1,000,000 miles now, & Nissan gave him a new truck for free.

I wouldn't expect a manual transmission to go out before the first clutch or even the engine for that matter. If his car is done at 300,000 miles because of the transmission, I am disappointed. If it's a simple transmission fix, that's different. I wouldn't boast about a manual transmission making 300,000 miles before needing to be replaced. I wouldn't slam it either, however.
    Gotta disagree there. Putting 800,000 miles on a transmission is the exception, not the rule.

Going 300k before having to remove the transmission for anything is pretty impressive, especially given this car's low price.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-06-2020),inuvik (09-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Gotta disagree there. Putting 800,000 miles on a transmission is the exception, not the rule.

Going 300k before having to remove the transmission for anything is pretty impressive, especially given this car's low price.
    Yep, very reasonable approach. The Mirage does not have the drivetrain of a truck, that is for sure. It's not a valid comparison.

And, it is no surprise to hear of any clutch that lasts a great distance if it was used for highway travel with relatively little stop and go. There will be less wear under highway driving conditions, and that is how the miles are racked up.

Still, it's all speculation until the transmission is disassembled and the failure is identified.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Anyone who wants to buy the car off of me is welcome to pull the tranny apart for inspection. lol