Page 15 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Plastic Car :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Cheap Plastic Car
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Silver
    Manual

Rostra Cruise Control Kit - Part # 250-9633

•  
    Details

175/65-14 82T Falken Sincera SN250 AS All-Season (80k mile warranty - Replaced at 78k miles)

175/65-14 Hankook Optimo H724 (70k mile warranty - Currently in use)

•  
    Comments: 534 / Views: 3315292
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Clutch? You'd recognize slippage by watching the tach. My slippy clutches were not particularly noisy.

You're not gonna get a CVT now are you? haha

What else could cause this?
    CV joint
    wheel bearing (noise wouldn't change with engine RPM) (actually, none of these examples would)
    output shaft bearing

Nothing lasts forever. If you had to replace anything I'd say you got your money's worth.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Clutch? You'd recognize slippage by watching the tach. My slippy clutches were not particularly noisy.
    Hmm. Maybe my tranny is going out. But I think I would see bits of metal in the oil.

Or perhaps I simply don't know how to drive and didn't have one of the gears fully engaged while I was shifting. That is a possibility.

I've got a busy day today, and plans for the weekend. Lets hope the car survives this weekend, or that I learn how to shift gears.

Could even be the pilot or throw out bearing starting to grenade. I've had a pilot bearing can fail by seizing to the input shaft making it feel like you're shifting without the clutch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Could even be the pilot or throw out bearing starting to grenade. I've had a pilot bearing can fail by seizing to the input shaft making it feel like you're shifting without the clutch.
    Try taking off in third gear from a stop to check for clutch slippage. If the engine stalls, then the clutch disc should be fine (barring mechanical damage). If you get slippage and no immediate stall, then it is 'clutch time'.

A throwout bearing that is going bad will make noise when the transmission is in neutral and the pedal is out. The noise goes away when the pedal is depressed. However, this is also what an input shaft bearing will sound like when it is failing.

That being said, I have accidentally crunched gears a few times in my car as well!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    241,534 miles So far so good. I did the 3rd gear clutch test yesterday and the vehicle stalled like it should.

While I wait for the clutch to eventually give out, I am going to make sure I have everything I need to do the job when it happens.

The eBay clutch kit I have contains the following items:

Pressure Plate
    Clutch Disc
    Release Bearing

It did not come with an input shaft bearing. I've looked at a few websites, including mitsubishipartswarehouse.com and cannot find a part number for that bearing. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get that part?

Normally its pretty easy to take measurements of a bearing and order a universal one but I won't know what is in it until I remove the transmission. I'd like to have the part on hand, so I can do the job in one evening rather than waiting for parts to arrive.

As of right now, everything seems to be fine, but with 241k miles on the original clutch, I'm sure it will fail soon. Might as well be prepared for the inevitable.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    241,534 miles So far so good. I did the 3rd gear clutch test yesterday and the vehicle stalled like it should.

While I wait for the clutch to eventually give out, I am going to make sure I have everything I need to do the job when it happens.

The eBay clutch kit I have contains the following items:

Pressure Plate
    Clutch Disc
    Release Bearing

It did not come with an input shaft bearing. I've looked at a few websites, including mitsubishipartswarehouse.com and cannot find a part number for that bearing. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get that part?

Normally its pretty easy to take measurements of a bearing and order a universal one but I won't know what is in it until I remove the transmission. I'd like to have the part on hand, so I can do the job in one evening rather than waiting for parts to arrive.

As of right now, everything seems to be fine, but with 241k miles on the original clutch, I'm sure it will fail soon. Might as well be prepared for the inevitable.
    We should wager on your clutch/transmission, but I don't want to jinx you. It may keep going longer than you think. If you are doing a lot of highway miles, there is very little wear & tear on a clutch. It will be interesting to see how long it goes regardless.

I had the same thought.

I'd wager the clutch won't need to be changed.

Unless he's really hard on it, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I had the same thought.

I'd wager the clutch won't need to be changed.

Unless he's really hard on it, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt!
    I think Steve is going to make it 300,000+ on the same clutch, but I may have just jinxed it. Let's hope not!!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-19-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    243,063 miles El cheapo ebay driver side headlight went out today. I replaced it with a genuine Sylvania Standard 9003/HB2 H4 bulb, ordered from eBay.

Manual transmission/clutch is still going strong.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    243,063 miles El cheapo ebay driver side headlight went out today. I replaced it with a genuine Sylvania Standard 9003/HB2 H4 bulb, ordered from eBay.

Manual transmission/clutch is still going strong.
    I gave up on Walmart-sourced Sylvanias a long time ago. I only get about 3-4 months out of them, but I mostly drive at night so they are on often. Switched to Philips bulbs from Amazon and they have been a lot better.

The Philips bulbs are cheaper, too. I don't know about where you live, but here Walmart locks the headlight bulbs in a glass case. So I have to go find somebody to unlock the case and have them look at me like I am a foiled criminal when they hand me the bulbs. No thanks!