Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Plastic Car :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Cheap Plastic Car
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Silver
    Manual

Rostra Cruise Control Kit - Part # 250-9633

•  
    Details

175/65-14 82T Falken Sincera SN250 AS All-Season (80k mile warranty - Replaced at 78k miles)

175/65-14 Hankook Optimo H724 (70k mile warranty - Currently in use)

•  
    Comments: 534 / Views: 3317920
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just visually verified the car has a blue AC Delco Duraguard filter.

My car is living proof that 5w30 oil is fine. My 1994 one liter Geo Metro took 5w30 as well.

My wife has a 2008 Scion TC that is supposed to use 0w20. The 2007 Scion TC had the exact same engine and called for 5w30. One has to wonder why Toyota changed their mind regarding oil viscosity for the exact same engine.

My guess is, car manufactures switched to 0w20 from 5w30 in small engines to squeeze every bit of power out small engines as possible.

It makes about as much sense as cars having timing belts in the 90s, to increase efficiency. You do get a fraction of a performance increase but the smaller oil molecules are at a higher risk of leaking.

I suppose you might benefit from the thinner weight oil if you live in a place that routinely has below freezing temperatures but in Louisiana the thicker weight oil is fine. I actually run 20w50 in the Delorean with zero issues.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've run 5w-20 in my sisters since we got it. It totally got rid of the sewing machine noise you speak of and is much much cheaper.

Lets be honest here, considering the engine has been around for almost 15 years in some form used in kei trucks and its use in many 2nd and 3rd world countries then finally making its way into the Mirage, I think some it's use cases have gotten 'whatever oil was available' and they just don't care.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    215,006 miles

The driver side low beam went out today. I have replaced several of these lights since purchasing the car. This is my first time documenting it.

I had a spare 9003 bulb in the glove box so I replaced it in a parking lot. A new pair of 9003 bulbs are on order to keep as spares.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    With as many miles as you drive, I'm surprised you even have time to post on the forum!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    214,068 miles

Getting another free oil change this morning. I asked the person who took in my car what weight oil they use on my car. She simply said whatever the oil cap says to use.

If she is correct, that means I am getting synthetic every 5,000 miles providing they are using 0w20. As far as I know, that only comes in synthetic.

The oil change reminder sticker on my winshield says Mobile 1 on it. It has no mention of viscosity or whether or not to use synthetic or conventional.
    From what you have shared, I wouldn't assume anything concerning your oil changes. Your oil changes are free, & they already have you way past your warranty. Thus, you would have no complaints. Your slip may be a standard receipt that they print out for all free oil changes. It may not reflect what is put in your car at all. For example: 5 quarts of oil are listed, but the Mirage only takes 3 quarts.

You could be getting a high quality oil filter or a cheap one. They may be using synthetic, synthetic-blend, or conventional oil. It could be 0W-20 or something else. It may be Mobil 1 or some cheap no name brand of oil. The bottom line is that you don't really know what they are doing, and that is ok. It's all speculation. We may even be overthinking all this. Who really knows?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    From what you have shared, I wouldn't assume anything concerning your oil changes. Your oil changes are free, & they already have you way past your warranty. Thus, you would have no complaints. Your slip may be a standard receipt that they print out for all free oil changes. It may not reflect what is put in your car at all. For example: 5 quarts of oil are listed, but the Mirage only takes 3 quarts.

You could be getting a high quality oil filter or a cheap one. They may be using synthetic, synthetic-blend, or conventional oil. It could be 0W-20 or something else. It may be Mobil 1 or some cheap no name brand of oil. The bottom line is that you don't really know what they are doing, and that is ok. It's all speculation. We may even be overthinking all this. Who really knows?
    Very good point although I did visually verify that the oil filter matches what is om the invoice.

They very well could be putting cooling oil in my engine. Without an oil analysis or physically watching them put oil in my car, I have no true way of knowing what oil is in the vehicle.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Very good point although I did visually verify that the oil filter matches what is om the invoice.

They very well could be putting cooling oil in my engine. Without an oil analysis or physically watching them put oil in my car, I have no true way of knowing what oil is in the vehicle.
    Except that you have over 200,000 miles (321868.8 kilometers) on your Mirage.

Things seem to be working out so far.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Except that you have over 200,000 miles (321868.8 kilometers) on your Mirage.

Things seem to be working out so far.
    Exactly.

You've already beat out most Aveos, Vibes, and Suzuki Sx4s. lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Boy I need to learn how to spell. I meant to say I could have cooking oil in my engine and not even know it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Aside from me purchasing this cheap car for it's three cylinder engine, another motivation was that it has a timing chain. Timing chains last longer than timing belts.

I'd shoot myself if I had to replace a timing belt every 100k miles. In theory, a timing chain will last the life of the engine.