Page 35 of 54 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Plastic Car :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Cheap Plastic Car
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Silver
    Manual

Rostra Cruise Control Kit - Part # 250-9633

•  
    Details

175/65-14 82T Falken Sincera SN250 AS All-Season (80k mile warranty - Replaced at 78k miles)

175/65-14 Hankook Optimo H724 (70k mile warranty - Currently in use)

•  
    Comments: 534 / Views: 3315457
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Steve - the man who drives a cheap plastic car, & takes exotic trips all over the world!!!!

Look forward to hearing about your current adventure! Yes, I need a life.

Hope you have safe travels!
    If anyone cares to read about that stuff or see pictures just add me on Facebook. I'm too lazy to have a travel blog. As of last week I have been to 47 countries.

https://www.facebook.com/stephen.rice.82

Was supposed to go to Nicaragua in March but dad's health is declining rapidly. I was actually supposed to visit Denmark and Sweden, in addition to spending last week in Poland but I had to book a last minute flight home due to dad being admitted into the emergency room. He is fine now, but other than my already booked trip to Chernobyl in April, I'm taking a bit of a break from travel for now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    If anyone cares to read about that stuff or see pictures just add me on Facebook. I'm too lazy to have a travel blog. As of last week I have been to 47 countries.

https://www.facebook.com/stephen.rice.82

Was supposed to go to Nicaragua in March but dad's health is declining rapidly. I was actually supposed to visit Denmark and Sweden, in addition to spending last week in Poland but I had to book a last minute flight home due to dad being admitted into the emergency room. He is fine now, but other than my already booked trip to Chernobyl in April, I'm taking a bit of a break from travel for now.
    Yeah I hear Chernobyl is gorgeous this time of year.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Yeah I hear Chernobyl is gorgeous this time of year.
    I was there April of last year and honestly, the weather was very nice.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    289,189 miles Did another oil change with Supertech 5w30 conventional and a AC Delco filter.

This time I ended up changing the oil at 4k miles instead of the 3k mile schedule I had planned simply because it has been a busy week. The oil was about 3/4 of a quart low. I am still planning to change oil every 3k miles going forward.

Regarding my issue shifting into first gear. I took the center console out and cleaned all of the white grease off of it using a combination of carburetor cleaner and WD40. The placebo effect kicked in and I thought my issue was resolved.

After a few uses of 1st gear, I started having trouble shifting into first again. With the center console still removed, I disconnected both linkages going to the shifter. With the cables detached, I was able to move the shifter into every position with ease. I reconnected the cables and immediately had the same problem shifting into first.

I inspected the cables both inside the car and going into the transmission and cannot find any visible damage. My guess is I either have a bad pressure plate, or in fact something wrong with the transmission.

I've managed to limp along this week using the second gear as my starting gear. It sounds crazy, but on principle I think I am going to try to limp along until I hit 300k miles with the transmission as is. After I hit 300k miles, I might go talk to a mechanic about it before replacing the clutch components. I'd hate to pull an engine or transmission to find out it is some sort of simple fix.

Thoughts?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    289,189 miles Did another oil change with Supertech 5w30 conventional and a AC Delco filter.

This time I ended up changing the oil at 4k miles instead of the 3k mile schedule I had planned simply because it has been a busy week. The oil was about 3/4 of a quart low. I am still planning to change oil every 3k miles going forward.

Regarding my issue shifting into first gear. I took the center console out and cleaned all of the white grease off of it using a combination of carburetor cleaner and WD40. The placebo effect kicked in and I thought my issue was resolved.

After a few uses of 1st gear, I started having trouble shifting into first again. With the center console still removed, I disconnected both linkages going to the shifter. With the cables detached, I was able to move the shifter into every position with ease. I reconnected the cables and immediately had the same problem shifting into first.

I inspected the cables both inside the car and going into the transmission and cannot find any visible damage. My guess is I either have a bad pressure plate, or in fact something wrong with the transmission.

I've managed to limp along this week using the second gear as my starting gear. It sounds crazy, but on principle I think I am going to try to limp along until I hit 300k miles with the transmission as is. After I hit 300k miles, I might go talk to a mechanic about it before replacing the clutch components. I'd hate to pull an engine or transmission to find out it is some sort of simple fix.

Thoughts?
    Shifter cable has stretched after 289,189 miles? Wouldn't show visible damage, but may be stretched enough to not allow that shift into first gear.

Reference

https://itstillruns.com/signs-sympto...e-8623726.html

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Shifter cable has stretched after 289,189 miles? Wouldn't show visible damage, but may be stretched enough to not allow that shift into first gear.

Reference

https://itstillruns.com/signs-sympto...e-8623726.html
    Definitely worth looking into.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Worn shifter bushing?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    How much is it to replace a clutch on a Mitsu?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Replacing the shifter bushings would be a relatively easy experiment, but the only kits I can find online are for automatics.

A stretched shift cables makes sense and doesn't make sense. Wouldn't adjusting the shift linkage have fixed it, if it was simply a stretched cable? Those cables cost about $150 online. A little pricey for an experiment.

At this point I don't know what to do. Like I said earlier, I'm really tempted to just keep using 2nd gear for my starting gear for now, and then maybe check with a mechanic at a later time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Replacing the shifter bushings would be a relatively easy experiment, but the only kits I can find online are for automatics.
    That and I think a loose bushing would be easily detected? I don't know - can't see from here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)